U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 08:39 PM

8 posts, read 11,301 times

Advertisements

This isn't necessarily a city vs City more like region VS region, but I want to know what you guys would say which region of California is best for business start-ups/employment opportunities, LGBT, racial minorities, attractions, affordability, and infrastructure/transportation. Much help is needed and hopefully this is my last thread on California
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 PM

5,982 posts, read 7,411,479 times
NorCal easily wins all of those categories, aside from affordability. Next.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:45 PM

18,736 posts, read 19,380,657 times
The Bay Area (NorCal) wins by a long margin.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:04 AM

23,525 posts, read 23,135,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobuffet View Post
This isn't necessarily a city vs City more like region VS region, but I want to know what you guys would say which region of California is best for business start-ups/employment opportunities, LGBT, racial minorities, attractions, affordability, and infrastructure/transportation. Much help is needed and hopefully this is my last thread on California
Business - SoCal
(assuming you are talking about normal people/businesses, not $20 million tech start ups, in which case NorCal would win)
Employment: NorCal
LGBT - NorCal
Minorities - NorCal or SoCal
Attractions - SoCal
Affordability - SoCal
Infrastructure/Transportation - NorCal

Disclaimer: I live in San Francisco

Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 AM

5,919 posts, read 2,802,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Affordability - SoCal
Affordability would go to Central California no?

Old 01-02-2014, 04:12 AM

23,525 posts, read 23,135,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Affordability would go to Central California no?
When I think of Central California, I think of San Louis Obsipo, Monterey, Carmel By The Sea etc which are more expensive than most cities in SoCal.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 AM

9,461 posts, read 11,073,901 times
Eastern CA!

Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,411,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
When I think of Central California, I think of San Louis Obsipo, Monterey, Carmel By The Sea etc which are more expensive than most cities in SoCal.
That would be Central Coast (Santa Barbara to Monterey). The OP specifically mentions the Central Valley, which is Modesto, Stockton, Merced, etc. Definitely cheaper than a lot of SoCal

Old 01-03-2014, 03:23 PM

29 posts, read 60,580 times
The Central Coast. For the LGBT stuff and culture, you want Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo. SB is very heavy on culture but very expensive. SLO is much more affordable but is a bit more geared to college students (Cal Poly and Cuesta). Nowhere is perfect buy hey, Oprah named SLO the happiest city on earth.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:30 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,742,232 times
Really depends on the type of start up and business. And the type of person you are. LGBT community is available in either region, depends on who/how you are. People have diverse lifestyle interests, including within LGBT...do you want crunchy and politically active berkeley, or beaches in san diego or museums and entertainment of LA or SFO? Neither region would be better or worse for LGBT without more specific info. Same goes for culture and other lifestyle interests. And what type of start up? What t ype of employment? Any particular racial minorities and transporation needs that you have? Is this for your business demographic or personally, as far as racial? A quick wikipedia search will break down the demographics of each city. CA is diverse. Any metro area will give you that. Central coastal will be mostly white and latino/a.

Affordability is relative to your definition, too. San Diego is less expensive than LA or SFO. Sacramento provides a slightly more affordable option [in fact, SAC may be the best choice based on your long list of vague criteria]. I think central coast is not large enough population wise to meet your needs...but again, depends on more specific criteria. So I could be wrong. I'd probably look at SD or SAC, based on what you've stated in this thread thus far.

Not everyone has read your other threads or will seek them out. I am assuming you have mentioned some of these details previously b/c of your statement about not starting any more threads on CA after this. But I'm not familiar with them. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California