U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 05:20 AM

97 posts, read 411,228 times

Advertisements

So I recently got a job with the County of Santa Barbara's planning department and was curious about the different neighborhoods and what they had to offer. I have been looking very seriously at the La Cumbre area as well as the Mesa. I was curious if anyone had any perspective on these neighborhoods.

Also moving from what I'd describe as a socially cold state of Washington I was curious how receptive locals are to out of state folk and how easy it would be to meet people in this city who aren't just tourists, old rich people, or college students.

I visited the area in my interview but feel like I'm missing some perspective on the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 AM

101 posts, read 561,050 times
It's been twenty-five years since I lived in Santa Barbara, so I can't give specific advice on neighborhoods, but as far as the social side of life--S.B. had a very active Newcomers Club when I moved there. You're allowed to be a member for the first two years (I think) you live there. There were all sorts of gatherings (picnics, card nights, barbecues, sightseeing, progressive dinners, etc.) where you could meet other people new to the area--made lots of good friends that way. Look into it!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 AM

609 posts, read 2,128,983 times
La Cumbre is good but Mesa is better IMHO. Mesa is kind of a bit uphill so you can see the Pacific ocean as you drive on Montecito St and from a lot of apartments/homes on the Mesa.

Enjoy you stay in SB, its one of the best towns in CA.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:03 PM

97 posts, read 411,228 times
Wow the newcomers club sounds like it may be up my alley. Thanks! Any more feedback would be great too!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 PM

130 posts, read 505,666 times
i like the mesa more than i like la cumbre, but....if you wanted something alittle more affordable, i would look into living in goleta to the north, and......if you wanted something even "more" affordable, i would look into orcutt/santa maria and lompoc (about 45min-1hour north). btw, orcutt/santa maria and lompoc are called the "bedroom community to santa barbara." why you ask? because nobody can afford living in santa barbara.

as for meeting ppl....not a problem, downtown state street has just about every kind of bar/club/music/lounge/grill/live band/enterntainment/dancing you can thing of as well as a variety of places to eat. they have places that cater to the college crowd all the way up to the "more" upscale crowd.

also...if you like to play volleyball after work, just put on some shorts and you can usually find a game or two to get into. cheers....and welcome to santa barbara

Old 12-01-2007, 06:50 PM

110 posts, read 731,986 times
I lived in SB for many decades until I moved to SYV a few years ago. The mesa is nice bc it is close to the ocean (which means you get a lot of what we call june gloom- foggy overcast days) which sometimes lasts all summer. San Roque is another nice area (near La Cumbre). I wouldn't recommend a long commute bc it gets old real fast, costs money, & will keep you away from the SB social scene which it sounds like you want to be part of. I'd try & live as close to work as possible as a quality of life issue (not to mention an environmental one).

Thinking of orgs, I know people who've enjoyed the ski club, not only for its ski trips, but for many of its other social activities- they sound like a fun group of all ages. Also the adult ed classes are a great way to meet people with similar interests. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 AM

6,958 posts, read 21,293,869 times
That bright thing in the sky is called the sun, You'll get used to seeing it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California