Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 AM

8 posts, read 54,271 times

Advertisements

Muslim family wants to move to California.
Assalamoalaikum.
I want to know which is the best city to live for a muslim family with 4 kids ages 14,6,4 and 2 in California. We used to live in Houston before but now moved to Missouri. But we are not very happy as
There is a lack of good islamic schools, zabihah food and pakistani grocery stores and pakistani community.The weather is also very extreme here.
We have heard good things about California.They have good islamic schools. Which is the best islamic school ? We want to live near a very happening masjid with frequent programmes and lectures for sisters and kids as well.also we would like the masjid to have a youth club for our 14 year old.
Please suggest a good area with the best mosque, strong pakistani community,islamic school , desi grocery stores, zabihah restaurants and nice houses!
I have searched a bit online and i think Anaheim would be a good bet but we are open for any other city which would provide us our required criteria.any advice would be helpful!
We want an affordable house with a pool 4 beds, 3 baths at least. The budget would be under 1 million.
We are also looking to buy a dry c store in the area so please if anybody has any info regarding that then please help us out!
I know iam asking too much but coming from houston, iam positive i will be able to find something with my high criteria Insha Allah!
Jazak Allah .

Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Moderator cut: orphaned comment

Now to answer your question: I am sure, any major city in CA will have a large number of Muslims and Muslim schools. Is it more important to you to find an area with a Muslim population or is the segregated schools more important to you? I say this because certain areas will have more of what you want. A lot of Muslims do not send their kids to Muslims schools. In fact the ones I know are trying to main stream the children while still maintaining their religious beliefs. If they are going to live in America they need to be exposed to all cultures and ethnic groups.

Last edited by Marka; 01-14-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 01-09-2014, 01:19 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umme Ahmed View Post
Muslim family wants to move to California.
Assalamoalaikum.
I want to know which is the best city to live for a muslim family with 4 kids ages 14,6,4 and 2 in California. We used to live in Houston before but now moved to Missouri. But we are not very happy as
There is a lack of good islamic schools, zabihah food and pakistani grocery stores and pakistani community.The weather is also very extreme here.
We have heard good things about California.They have good islamic schools. Which is the best islamic school ? We want to live near a very happening masjid with frequent programmes and lectures for sisters and kids as well.also we would like the masjid to have a youth club for our 14 year old.
Please suggest a good area with the best mosque, strong pakistani community,islamic school , desi grocery stores, zabihah restaurants and nice houses!
I have searched a bit online and i think Anaheim would be a good bet but we are open for any other city which would provide us our required criteria.any advice would be helpful!
We want an affordable house with a pool 4 beds, 3 baths at least. The budget would be under 1 million.
We are also looking to buy a dry c store in the area so please if anybody has any info regarding that then please help us out!
I know iam asking too much but coming from houston, iam positive i will be able to find something with my high criteria Insha Allah!
Jazak Allah .
In answer to your questions.

As Americans, we would love for you to mainstream your children into public schools. Otherwise how will they become Americans? California has great public schools.

Further, why not use the local food and grocery stores. You are Americans now. Leave that old lifestyle and enjoy your new freedoms. Albertsons and Safeway is calling to you.

Anaheim has great weather and wonderful California style homes. Four Bedroom homes are available in your price range.You will enjoy them i am sure. Nothing like Pakistan.

And, dry cleaning is a great business to get into. Always required in a neighborhood and modestly profitable.

California is very welcoming to immigrants and i believe you will be happy with your new life if you understand this isn't Pakistan anymore. Embrace the local culture. And, surely your understand the next generation of your family will become Americans and your old life will be a distant memory.

Enjoy and good luck!!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:24 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,865 times
for SoCal i would suggest Anaheim, Irvine or Temecula. All have strong Muslim communities with a number of mosques and halal groceries.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM

8 posts, read 54,271 times
Thankyou!
I know we live in America and all our kids are born here. Infact my husband has spent most of his life here than back home. We do shop American brands, drive american brand car buy our produce and meat from whole foods and pay our taxes .we are law abiding citizens and firmly believe in live and let live but after saying that we do love our culture and religion and we want to teach it to our children and that is only possible if we take them to pakistani restaurants once in a while , bring desi groceries home and send them to good islamic schools so that they can learn Quran and Islam. We are not against public school system infact my kids are going to an exemplary public schools even now but if i can send them to a good Islamic school then why not . They are already as American as any white or black American can be. America is our home but there are certain things which are prohibited in our religion and it would be hard fir them to stay away from those things being so little like pork hot dogs which they sometimes serve in school for lunch or pepperoni pizza or some personal hygiene issues. So its better for them to attend an islamic school when they are young so that they dont get confused. Plus most of the people i know prefer to homeshool their kids because of the silly stuff they do at high schools and iam not talking about muslims here. Most of the kids enrolled in K 12 homeschooling are non muslims so i guess sending the kids to public schools is merely a personal preference

Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
for SoCal i would suggest Anaheim, Irvine or Temecula. All have strong Muslim communities with a number of mosques and halal groceries.
I agree with this. You should fit in and be fine in any of those or nearby cities in Orange County.

Quote:
Thankyou!
I know we live in America and all our kids are born here. Infact my husband has spent most of his life here than back home. We do shop American brands, drive american brand car buy our produce and meat from whole foods and pay our taxes .we are law abiding citizens and firmly believe in live and let live but after saying that we do love our culture and religion and we want to teach it to our children and that is only possible if we take them to pakistani restaurants once in a while , bring desi groceries home and send them to good islamic schools so that they can learn Quran and Islam. We are not against public school system infact my kids are going to an exemplary public schools even now but if i can send them to a good Islamic school then why not . They are already as American as any white or black American can be. America is our home but there are certain things which are prohibited in our religion and it would be hard fir them to stay away from those things being so little like pork hot dogs which they sometimes serve in school for lunch or pepperoni pizza or some personal hygiene issues. So its better for them to attend an islamic school when they are young so that they dont get confused. Plus most of the people i know prefer to homeshool their kids because of the silly stuff they do at high schools and iam not talking about muslims here. Most of the kids enrolled in K 12 homeschooling are non muslims so i guess sending the kids to public schools is merely a personal preference
Imho, you are truly American when you stop referring to the country you came from as "home".
Anyone can say "America is my home".

Also, a friendly suggestion, leave your own political and religious beliefs out of your kids or at least let them decide which school they want to go and which religion they want to practice if any at all.

I was born and raised in Turkey. Born to liberal, educated Muslim parents that never ever influenced me and my sisters in anyway about politics or religion. One can retain their tradition and culture without those two. After all, they are not really needed. I am a non-believer now and, imho, a much better person that way.

Be a good parent and let them decide, don't force them to go to an Islamic school because that is what you want.

I agree with others. Too much praising in any creed will get you the same derogatory feedback. Too much Allah is no better than too much Jesus, if you know what I mean? And unless that particular thread/section is about religion or politics, you should refrain from using any relevant terms or phrases on either one.

Don't get offended and a little heads up to you. Most people, who are as "Muslim" as you are, will walk away and/or avoid you altogether if you throw "Allah" in your dialog with them. Same goes for people who use Jesus or mention "being Jewish" a lot in their conversation get the same treatment.
What you do in a sense is what Jehovah's Witnesses do. They solicit, come to your home uninvited early on weekend mornings and knock on the door trying to get you to join. As you can imagine, it could be a tad annoying to say the least.
So, I urge you to leave those out of your daily chatter with random people and definitely from your business communications. Remain neutral and no one will be "racist".

By the way, even if I was a Satan worshiper, I would still not eat nor feed my kids hot dog or pepperoni.
Even a so-called kosher beef franks are made from all the gnarly leftover parts of slaughtered animals. Far from healthy or ideal for human consumption. Regular hotdog consumption by kids have been linked to leukemia and even other types of cancer.

Love, peace and chicken grease!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,705 times
Quote:
Thankyou!
You make good points here, with clarity on what you are seeking. You did not make these points in your initial post. In your original post, you used several religious phrases and sentiments that are reserved for only those who practice your religion. It is customary in public forums such as this, to ask for locations for amenities such as housing, types of religious worship buildings, schools, communities, etc, but to leave specific religious language out of the discussion.

People may ask for a strong christian community for example, or to avoid one, but generally people do not say praise be jesus, or jesus sucks, for contrary examples. This is a public forum where helpful users provide FREE information to you about your move. Respect and regard work both ways, especially when knowing that american culture values separation of church and state and privacy/personal preference with regards to worship.

Also, keep in mind that non muslims and non pakistanis will ALSO have information for your lifestyle needs and will also read this thread as such. People do not live in a bubble and so will potentially know about a grocer, restaurant, school etc even if not muslim or pakistani, b/c they live nearby, or have friends or family or enjoy pakistani food, etc.

I personally am a fan of logic, and I am not seeing this from many of the replies in this thread, thus far. I figured I'd add my two cents before the thread is closed by a moderator shortly.

I believe if OP simply said 'I need such and such type of store, school, housing budget, he/she would have gotten straightforward replies about where to find them, rather than the diatribes. Less emotion in a post gives more cut/dry responses, in my experience on this forum and elsewhere...

Best wishes w/your move.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Irvine and Anheim have a large muslim populations. Irvine is cleaner and nicer.

While I respect everyone's religion, I believe it is best to keep it to yourself, unless you are able to discuss your views, while listening to anothe'sr viewpoit and without passing judgement.

There are too many lunatics from every religion that are so sure that their way is the right way and are willing to bring their viewpoint to a violent struggle.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Quote:
...there are certain things which are prohibited in our religion and it would be hard fir them to stay away from those things being so little like pork hot dogs or pepperoni pizza
Don't worry..in California they'll probably become vegans

Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
OP, I think we all understand what you want for your children and are saying, but you still seem to have trouble between what is really home for you and your family. My hair dresser in Muslim and practices her religion to the upmost. She is an American citizen but neither she nor hubby were born here. One of their grown daughters wasn't even born here. And living in NWA there isn't a huge Muslim population, but we do have a few. I tell you this because she would never have even considered sending her girls to any school other than public, American schools. I will also add, both her girls are now married (the youngest one just last month) She is married to a Muslim man, she will get her M.D. in June and many of her friends are also Muslim. It is very possible for you to instill your religion and culture into your children and still not live in an area made up of almost totally Muslims. There is the possibility they may end up straying from your religion. This does happen, no matter what you do, you can't control them forever. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like, just from what you are saying, you are concerned they might become a little too Americanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California