Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 PM

16 posts, read 23,656 times

Advertisements

Hi,first of all,I'm a brazillian who wants to go to an american university in engineering field.
I'm thinking on finishing the high school on USA,and try to get into some college next year.
My first option is Cali,mostly because of the weather and tech industry,but I still have some doubts.Comparing to Colorado(can be another state,but this is my second option),where people would be more friendly?where is most safe?where are the best universities?Please help me,knowing that I like hot weather as much as cold one,I am liberal in various aspects and money is no problem.If you can help me,please do it!Thanks!
edit:I forgot to talk about soccer,which state has more soccer atmosphere?

Last edited by latxc; 02-10-2014 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 07:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Move to CO. The entire state is safe. All the high schools are safe. The universities are fantastic. And you can live on your own as a minor with no problem.

Oh, and the entire population is friendly. Especially to minors from foreign countries.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Move to CO. The entire state is safe. All the high schools are safe. The universities are fantastic. And you can live on your own as a minor with no problem.

Oh, and the entire population is friendly. Especially to minors from foreign countries.
plus every new state residents get a free joint, what more could you ask for.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:

well,that is a major point ,about the Universities,are they as good as Stanford, Caltech,UCB and UCLA?because those are the most famous here in Brazil,considering just the state of California,but from Colorado I've never hears things,either good or bad,about their colleges and tech scenery

Old 02-10-2014, 07:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latxc View Post
well,that is a major point ,about the Universities,are they as good as Stanford, Caltech,UCB and UCLA?because those are the most famous here in Brazil,considering just the state of California,but from Colorado I've never hears things,either good or bad,about their colleges and tech scenery
Actually, I think you should seriously consider adding South Dakota to your list. I think it also meets all of your requirements, and I think they even sponsor students from Brazil, specifically. Surely, you've heard of South Dakota University in Brazil?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think you should seriously consider adding South Dakota to your list. I think it also meets all of your requirements, and I think they even sponsor students from Brazil, specifically. Surely, you've heard of South Dakota University in Brazil?
yes ,I've heard about,and now I'll do some research,thanks!

Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
Quote:
I think NoMoreSnowForme is joking with you. Yes the universities you listed (as well as USC, UCSB, UCSD, Cal Poly SLO and Cal Poly Pomona, and others) are top engineering schools in California. Colorado is a great state but not really as well known for engineering which is why you have not heard much about it in that context. University of Colorado at Boulder and Colorado School of Mines are pretty good and if you were interested in Colorado, I would check on those.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:31 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Hi,first of all,I'm a brazillian who wants to go to an american university in engineering field. I'm thinking on finishing the high school on USA
This may not be as easy as you think. Read this:

Foreign Students in Public Schools

You may be getting ahead of yourself, and if you want to graduate from a top US high school, you'd better work on your English writing skills first. Colleges look very carefully at the last years of high school grades.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
This may not be as easy as you think. Read this:

Foreign Students in Public Schools

You may be getting ahead of yourself, and if you want to graduate from a top US high school, you'd better work on your English writing skills first. Colleges look very carefully at the last years of high school grades.
Yes,there are some dificulties ahead,but I contacted an international students agency,and everything is being prepared correctly.About the english skills,I now I'll have to work on it,but I still have this entire year to do that

Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
It depends on what kind of engineering you want to study. It sounds like you plan to go into the tech field, in which case you can't beat Stanford, which has a lot of connections to venture capital for tech startups. Stanford also provides 100% financial aid to students in economic need. They pay for EVERYTHING, including housing, if your parents' income falls below a certain threshold. And Palo Alto is very safe. The Bay Area in general is very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California