Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times

Advertisements

I took my dog to the dog park this morning, and was chatting with other dog owners. One man mentioned an article he'd read this morning that said Redding made a list of top 10 cities where violent crimes are soaring. So, I came home to try and find it online.

10 Cities Where Violent Crime Is Soaring | TIME.com

One thing I thought was interesting, is that many of the cities with increased violent crimes, are cities with booming economies, so it's not all about the economy.

The description of the usual violent criminal was interesting, too:

One of the hidden factors that could be driving up crime rates in areas with thriving economies may be shifting local demographics, Roman explained. “The biggest predictor of committing a criminal act is being young, male, and relatively low-skilled. And when you have these big natural resource booms you’re attracting lots and lots of those people to your community.” As a result, it is not organized criminals driving up crime rates as much as it is likely younger men looking for work, Roman said.

(Roman is a senior fellow at the Urban Institute - whatever that is lol!)

Anyway, interesting article. I feel safe in Redding. I do run into a lot of homeless folk downtown, where I live. But, so far, no problems.

Redding is really pretty, and I find the people really friendly, and it's very affordable. It suits me well. I'm sad for Redding that it made this list.

Any other Redding-ites out there? Had any experience with violent crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
I have family in Redding. Time for that CCW

Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I have family in Redding. Time for that CCW
LOL! People keep telling me I should get mace. Heck, I'd have to get it out of my pocket first...

Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,764,910 times
Apparently it's either a 'gold rush' that's turning places exploiting a particular resource into modern-day Wild West towns, or, in the case of Redding, Weed Wars. Lots of aggravated assaults in these places.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:16 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,461,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Apparently it's either a 'gold rush' that's turning places exploiting a particular resource into modern-day Wild West towns, or, in the case of Redding, Weed Wars. Lots of aggravated assaults in these places.
Same thing here. Whenever I see a "home invasion" robbery in Butte County I always mutter to myself "Where's the weed?".

Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,054 posts, read 80,100,596 times
I have a brother there, and he's well armed. I guess that makes him fit in, since it's very common. I don't know if that's the reason for so much crime, or a response to it.

Welcome to Shasta County, California's gun-buying capital - San Jose Mercury News

Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have a brother there, and he's well armed. I guess that makes him fit in, since it's very common. I don't know if that's the reason for so much crime, or a response to it.

Welcome to Shasta County, California's gun-buying capital - San Jose Mercury News
That's a really interesting article. I had no idea the suicide rate was so high. Sad.

I wonder if the gun control laws don't actually encourage more people to buy one. I've thought about getting one, just because I thought I should get one now, knowing I have to wait the 10 day waiting period, etc., etc. And i wonder, what if there was some emergency situation where I wished I had a gun, but now, I have to go and wait 10 days to get one. And I wonder if the laws will change and I'd have to wait even longer, or the process will become more expensive.

I don't really feel like I need a gun, but I wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and get one now, so I have one when/if I need it, and before it gets even more difficult to get one.

I used to live in the Pacific Northwest, and much of my time there was in rural WA state, where everyone has guns and hunts. Redding feels a lot like rural PNW to me. The guns don't bother me. In fact, I like the idea that my neighbors are all armed lol! I can just holler if I need help. Help! And bring your guns! LOL!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:08 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,061,693 times
Dont forget.. Record Searchlight stated in their article
The people here feel a contributing factor is marijuana production and use,, I agree

Old 02-14-2014, 11:43 AM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL! People keep telling me I should get mace. Heck, I'd have to get it out of my pocket first...
Bear Spray isn't just fer bears......

Use a quick draw spray holder on your belt...

Old 02-14-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Bear Spray isn't just fer bears......

Use a quick draw spray holder on your belt...
Oh ho! I like it! I had heard that you can't actually get mace anymore, that it's all pepper spray. Bear spray should be some pretty good kick a** stuff, eh? LOL! Now we're talkin'!

The thing is, I don't wear belts, and right now anyway, in this weather, I always have big, long coats on. Maybe there's a way I could hang it round my neck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California