Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 12,202 times

Advertisements

We are two young professionals (lawyer/social worker) from coooooold central Canada. We'd like to try a move to California.

Any advice on which city would be best for two young professionals (wanting to start a family soon) lifestyle and job opportunity wise? Also how much would an average 2 bedroom 1 bath house cost? Also we've obviously heard its a tough market in Cali...do we have a chance of getting jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 02:33 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma34 View Post
We are two young professionals (lawyer/social worker) from coooooold central Canada. We'd like to try a move to California.

Any advice on which city would be best for two young professionals (wanting to start a family soon) lifestyle and job opportunity wise? Also how much would an average 2 bedroom 1 bath house cost? Also we've obviously heard its a tough market in Cali...do we have a chance of getting jobs?
There is no demand in the U.S for social workers. Depending on the type of lawyer he is and where he went to school perhaps your husband might have luck being sponsored, although it`s very unlikely. Plenty of lawyers down there too.
I see that you live in Winnipeg. That`s rough. I can understand wanting to get out of that barren tundra. I think your best bet is to move to the Vancouver area or Victoria on Vancouver Island. Year year round mild climate (Canadian standards). Also most of the areas where you`d want to live in California would be much more expensive than Winnipeg and if by some miracle you got a job in your field, social workers are generally paid much less than they are in Canada.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:06 PM

12 posts, read 14,109 times
Social worker and lawyer occupations are both applicable occupations for a TN visa. So if you actually can find jobs in California, the visa process itself is relatively easy (all the employer needs to provide is a letter of employment). You apply at the border and it only costs about $50. As for the city, it depends entirely on your lifestyle preferences. LA, SF, and SD can all be excellent places to live but it depends on what you like. Urban or suburban, car or public transit, etc. Focus first on finding jobs.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
You haven't told us what you want in terms of lifestyle. Do you prefer a smaller town atmosphere near nature, or is a big city with big city amenities what you want? If you want to be in a big urban area, like LA, San Diego or the San Francisco Bay Area, the proceeds from the sale of your home in Winnipeg would probably get you a 1-br. condominium, if that. But at least you could make a sizeable downpayment on a home, and with both of you employed, you could afford home payments.

And there are options in terms of affordability, as long as you don't mind a longer commute to work.

Another question to consider is what type of weather do you prefer. Southern CA is hot in the summers, and mild in the winters. Northern CA is a little cold in the winters, and very comfortable in the summers. Warmer inland, breezy and/or foggy near the coast.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 PM

493 posts, read 783,071 times
the United States of America produces 80% of the worlds lawyers domestically, we need to be EXPORTING them, not IMPORTING them!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 12,202 times
In terms of lifestyle i would prefer being away from the huge cities as I find that sort of intimidating coming from a town of 700k... But i sense that maybe we should just go anywhere we can find a job... If that's possible. My partner will write the bar so that is a big hassle if he can't end up with a job after.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:

I don't know how immigration/jobs would work for you. But, a town that I've been recommending lately to people like you, is Santa Rosa, CA. I don't know southern CA, so based on northern CA cities/towns, I think Santa Rosa is still a good value. It's about an hour + to SF, depending on the time of day/commute, etc. Santa Rosa is in wine country, very pretty, close to the beach (water is cold in CA, north or south for swimming, but still fun to go to the beach), and very good schools.

City website:

Santa Rosa, California

School rankings:

Santa Rosa Schools - Santa Rosa, CA | GreatSchools

Santa Rosa newspaper:

Santa Rosa News, Weather, Sports and Business | PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat

Craigslist search for housing in Santa Rosa:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Good luck! I have good friends who live in Oyama now. They just got back from holiday in Mexico. They'd love to move somewhere warmer, too, but all their kids and grandkids are there, so they now just do a winter getaway when they can.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,681 times
move to santa monica, bro.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:07 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,509,336 times
Quote:

A couple good (and beautiful) spots would be the Monterey Peninsula and San Luis Obispo. Both have mild climates (Monterey more like foggy San Francisco, San Luis Obispo warmer and sunnier). They're large enough to have decent shopping, great dining and cultural opportunities. As far as real estate costs - they're very similar to many Canadian cities (kind of expensive like Vancouver or Toronto). A home such as you described would be at least $500,000. $750,000-850,000 isn't out of the question in more desirable areas.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:14 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
I agree with the Santa Rosa suggestion, or Marin County (there are smaller towns that are very picturesque, yet near big city amenities), and also the MOnterrey area & San Luis Obispo.

What type of law does your husband practice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California