Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,805 times

Advertisements

I would love for another storm to roll through this month, but I'm also missing the ability to take my morning walks down Strands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Put me in charge. I'll have desal and nuke power plants all over the f'in place in record time.
Glad you combined it with energy needs. I think people generally still believe desalination means free water. I'm for desal plants but if it supplied say, 33% of total water volume I wonder how the higher cost to produce it would get passed on. Consumers would be sticker shocked of course, and it would certainly get them to conserve! How about businesses though? Would they carry the real cost and stay in California, or would it be evil nanny state government again intruding on the market with subsidies and corporate accommodations?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:30 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Perhaps, use the 'working' Desalinating Systems that are on US Navy ships, which are now moored in 'moth ball fleets'. It would cost much less $$$.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:42 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Perhaps, use the 'working' Desalinating Systems that are on US Navy ships, which are now moored in 'moth ball fleets'. It would cost much less $$$.
They would not produce enough water to make a difference and then you have to figure out how to get the water from the ships into the distribution pipes etc. Lot of cost and no real rewards.

I want to thank people like you that are reading this thread, caring about the subject and coming up with creative ideas. The biggest problem we have is apathy so thank you for your comments and I don't want to sound negative. Cruise ships also have Desal on Board. I am OK with living on a cruise ship to do my part in saving water!

Here is an article about Desal in CA. We would need plants every 4 miles from San Diego to L.A. to produce enough water for the population. No easy solutions. More rain please!

Drought-plagued California tries to drink the ocean (hold the salt) | Grist

Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Glad you combined it with energy needs. I think people generally still believe desalination means free water. I'm for desal plants but if it supplied say, 33% of total water volume I wonder how the higher cost to produce it would get passed on. Consumers would be sticker shocked of course, and it would certainly get them to conserve! How about businesses though? Would they carry the real cost and stay in California, or would it be evil nanny state government again intruding on the market with subsidies and corporate accommodations?
Right now Desal costs about double the cost of Imported Water. I am making reference to San Diego and the Desal plant. Eventually the cost of Desal comes down and the cost of Imported water always goes up and they will intersect in about 20 years and then the cost of Desal will be cheaper. I am using rough figures of course. When I refer to "Imported Water" I am talking about the cost of San Diego getting water from the State Water Project (Northern CA water), water from the Colorado River, and water from the Imperial Irrigation District (IID Water Transfer).

I know this is a California thread. As far as I know the cost of Desal would be double for just about anywhere you build a plant in California at least for the first 20 years.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:47 PM

Storms helped but not a whole lot:

California Soaked, But Path of Winter Storms Limited Drought Impact | NBC Southern California

Old 07-12-2014, 11:20 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
"Winters, 65, never considered canceling his High Sierra vacation because of three years of California drought.
"This is the Golden Pond of my youth," said the retired history teacher. "I used to come here with my grandfather."
He would come hell or high water, he said, "or I guess you better make that 'hell or no water.'"
Huntington Lake summer fun drying up in California drought*-*Los Angeles Times

Old 07-16-2014, 01:39 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
This could get really bad. LA had the least amount of annual rainfall since 1877. The last really bad drought in CA was the one that lasted from 1985 to 1991. Six years. The state has at least 18 million more residents than it had back in the 70's all straining our water resources. Studies have shown that in pre recorded history there were droughts lasting as long as 100 years which decimated Native American populations.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:26 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
We might even have to stop growing quite as many almonds and other water-thirsty crops.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
This could get really bad. LA had the least amount of annual rainfall since 1877. The last really bad drought in CA was the one that lasted from 1985 to 1991. Six years. The state has at least 18 million more residents than it had back in the 70's all straining our water resources. Studies have shown that in pre recorded history there were droughts lasting as long as 100 years which decimated Native American populations.
Yea, I mean where on earth is the state going to find more water? Its not like we live next to a giant ocean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California