Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:55 AM

111 posts, read 180,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Would you all consider this a location worth considering in riverside?( 5520 Via San Jacinto, Riverside 92506 )( I think we've seen 6 or 7 listings in riverside, maybe 2-3 in Temecula. When we lived in west boca, one of the best parts was the close access to better groceries, fresh produce etc . Kings market which is closed now I think sold bell & evans free range chicken "parts" not just whole chickens, had prime beef. There's several places to buy really fresh fish and the selection of produce and fruits is excellent. We have found completely the opposite where we are on the west coast of Fla where it seems like the fruits in places like publix and winn Dixie are always picked too green to ever ripen, many fruits from south America, few from here. Horrible selection of the kind of poor quality meats it's an insult to the life that was taken to produce such garbage and there is no choice unless one wants to drive about 100 miles round trip to whole foods in Sarasota which in and of itself isn't the greatest but here it certainly is. While there's a good selection of Asian grocery stores over in palm bch cnty ( with one fellow in west palm still selling fish the old fashioned way, live, you pick, he guts and cleans for you free ). Very NY. But here in charlotte county the only real florida fresh fish place which was on the water in punta gorda, complete with seagulls hanging around to eat the freshly gutted fish, was closed down by the government and forced to relocate in a dirty stinky strip mall with little ventilation. Not what you would expect if you had never been to Fla before. This plus the health reasons has us really considering California, the trick as I mentioned, how to get me on an airplane without a trip to the er .......

What can we expect in these varios places in California? How is it really in the supermarkets and is there a place like west boca, priced in the less than 500k range, ( I see riverside in the 300's? ) ( Temecula in the 400's? ) that also has the everything in one town, both whole foods and an equivalent, fresh seafood markets, Asian markets, fruits and vegetables? Anyone know of a place to buy fresh live fish and have them cleaned there to take home to cook?
Riverside is very sprawling and has large espanses of rural areas It has its good neighborhoods and bad. I do not know anything about the particular location for which you're inquiring. The best persons to ask are real estate agents from that area.

Fresh seafood can be easily had from the large Asian supermarkets in the SGV of which Hong Kong Market is one of them which is in West Covina, and the Ranch 99 Markets which have several locations that sell the freshly gutted fish, or live fish kept in large aquarium tanks.

$500,000 can get you a very nice house, especially if you know how to wheel and deal and make your offer in cash. It's easily to come up against investors or other buyer who will make a cash offer.

Temecula is very beautiful with its rolling hills and mountains and wineries, but it can also be very hot there. It's considered high desert. But a dry heat is really not all that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 11:19 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,675,508 times
Tweedlydee , wowee, Asian Supermarkets! Unfortunately it looks like Temecula while hot, is out in the cold for those stores. So.......the mission is to find a house within 20 minutes of the areas that those stores are located. ( along with the other criteria of course but I just looked at yahoo and there's 10 locations just in southern Ca? That's incredible.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 PM

Oh my, I did a search on youtube for 99 ranch market and the fresh live fish section and everything is so wonderful. Are all the 99 Ranch Markets like that ? I see the Asian population in Milipitas which we can't afford plus it's in the colder part of the state is over 50% which explains the great food. Oh my not since living in NYC have I had access to duck like that every day.

Is it like that in Southern California too? It may seem trivial to some but quality of food is a factor in your health. Unfortunately where we are is twilight zone. IF there are places like that in southern California it definitely helps tip the scale in our trying to find a way to make that happen. Holy cow thank you for mentioning that.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedlydee View Post
Riverside is very sprawling and has large espanses of rural areas It has its good neighborhoods and bad. I do not know anything about the particular location for which you're inquiring. The best persons to ask are real estate agents from that area.

Fresh seafood can be easily had from the large Asian supermarkets in the SGV of which Hong Kong Market is one of them which is in West Covina, and the Ranch 99 Markets which have several locations that sell the freshly gutted fish, or live fish kept in large aquarium tanks.

Where is the SGV please?

Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 PM

111 posts, read 180,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Where is the SGV please?
SGV stands for San Gabriel Valley. It lies directly east of Los Angeles. It is a very large part of Los Angeles County.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedlydee View Post
SGV stands for San Gabriel Valley. It lies directly east of Los Angeles. It is a very large part of Los Angeles County.

Oh we would love to be able to afford a suburban home nearer to la then to san diego. I did a search for chelation doctors using a friends beverly hills zip code and I came up with more than a dozen within 20 miles. To put that in context, it's ILLEGAL in places like Kentucky, tennesee, and even strong supporters of this in north Carolina have only 1 or 2 near to places like Asheville. Here on the west coast of Fla I see an md in Sarasota for it and if not for her I would have to find a way to get to Naples ( 80 miles each way after a 3 1/2 hour session ) So there again for this controversial medical procedure, California is like a boss ( trying the new lingo )

Might not matter to some folks but to me, it's help keep me alive since a failed open heart surgery and has helped me walk when I could barely do so. So this is another big BIG plus for California for us.

Can you name places/towns/neighborhoods in this SGV where they might fit with our price range and criteria?

WE are going to try like heck to get me on an airplane in the next couple of weeks and go. Wife is even willing to take $$ out of her personal savings to buttress our position as we can't just buy what we want as we must keep a pretty significant amount of money in our business inventory. But I think we can draw out what I mentioned in the original post pretty easily as that's 80% liquid in checking acct form and the other 20% just means selling some metals which can happen overnight. It still comes down to my damn health but believe you me the motivation is growing by leaps and bounds. Thank you all for any and all input on what towns/cities/neighborhoods to point us in. I still can't get over that Asian super market. Holy cow!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:34 PM

184 posts, read 441,781 times
You might also want to consider Redlands. Supposedly they have the biggest farmers market around! There are also good hospitals in the area. Generally speaking, the closer you get to LA, the more you will pay for housing.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,046,477 times
If I could afford it, and had to move to SoCal, I would probably choose the Orange County area. I like the more conservative community they have, seems like it would be a good place to raise a family. Though I am not at that stage in my life yet. I also like a lot of the smaller coastal towns between LA and San Diego, though I'm a city slicker and would probably get bored there.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:30 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,829,872 times
Never heard so much excitement about asian market, China Town, Little Tokyo, K-Town, Monterey Park. you'll be a kid in the candy store with the shops scatter around so cal, some places don't even have a sign in english. I guess there are things you don't appreciation since they are so common.

If gold is your thing, there is a gold dealer on Manchester in Inglewood, just off the 405.

I don't really understand the switching between taking in 1st and 3rd person.

If you will frequent a doctor, that should dictate where you need to live because traffic can add a significant head ache.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy WJ View Post
You might also want to consider Redlands. Supposedly they have the biggest farmers market around! There are also good hospitals in the area. Generally speaking, the closer you get to LA, the more you will pay for housing.
Saw some nice homes in the price range on the internet tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California