Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Yes

Pretty much everywhere, can even get FiOS

Yes

Palm Springs area
Santa Paula/Fillmore/Piru
Oxnard/Port Hueneme/Ventura (at top of price point)
Oak View/ Meiners Oaks/possibly Ojai
Simi Valley (at top of price point)/outer fringes of Moorpark
Also, San Diego/Anza Borrego/Julian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 PM

184 posts, read 440,007 times
Canyon Crest is suburban more than urban although there isn't so much of a distinction these days with more and more growth. The air quality in Riverside isn't always the greatest given its location. Depending on your health issues you may want to take that into consideration. The LA Times has an air quality index you can monitor daily to give you an idea how the air quality differs there compared to places like Ojai. You can subscribe online for ~$8/mo. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:57 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy WJ View Post
Canyon Crest is suburban more than urban although there isn't so much of a distinction these days with more and more growth. The air quality in Riverside isn't always the greatest given its location. Depending on your health issues you may want to take that into consideration. The LA Times has an air quality index you can monitor daily to give you an idea how the air quality differs there compared to places like Ojai. You can subscribe online for ~$8/mo. Good luck!

I was about to ask that question ( are there parts of riverside that can be considered suburban not urban? ) I have to look into the air situation as that is a concern, thank you

Old 02-22-2014, 07:46 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,018 times
I hope you find a location that works for you. We have lived in the same locations over the years - from Palm Beach County (Wellington), to Charlotte County (Rotonda West) and now Southern California (Los Angeles). Good luck!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
I hope you find a location that works for you. We have lived in the same locations over the years - from Palm Beach County (Wellington), to Charlotte County (Rotonda West) and now Southern California (Los Angeles). Good luck!

That has to be one of the most amazing ..........after west boca I lived in paddock park 1 wellington, to a different country overseas, then to charlotte cnty and now looking at southern California. Well howdy and thanks!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post

2 hours from LA is a ski resort where they'll make snow if there isn't enough, 6 hours from LA is one of the highest points in the lower 48 states. On the way to the Sierra you drive through a desert, in a late spring, you'll from from snow to 80 degrees in about 3 hours, you'll go from needing a heater to using the AC in the car. This is the only area where I encounter small towns, such as Bishop, but the weather will get too hot and too cold for your friends.

There are many areas which fit your criteria, price and lot size will be the biggest factor and not having to drive to work opens up so many options.

I really want to experience in 3 hours from needing a heater to using the a/c.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 PM

111 posts, read 179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Have friends who are talking about moving to southern California which will ultimately be their retirement home. They want to pay outright for a house as they are pushing 60 years old and do not want a mortgage but are concerned about being able to afford socal. They want a 1500-2200 sq ft single story house on .25 acre or more. Prefer a 3 car garage or even an extra detached garage for collectors cars. Need an acceptable amount of space for home office, perhaps 200 sq ft and are willing to build addition if possible on to the right house assuming the realtor can refer contractors to do the work. Would like to live in a suburban environment similar to ft Lauderdale/boca raton fl on the east coast or ft myers/cape coral on the west coast for comparisons. They would like to be in a neighborhood that still has nice trees and landscaping. Would prefer to be in a quiet neighborhood and spend between 350K-450K.

Is it true that the produce in a typical California supermarket outshines the produce in other states? If that's true they would like to be near good food shopping, Asian markets especially but also a good butcher, maybe Trader Joes or Whole Foods. High Speed cable internet is a requirement as they still work from home online and will do so for years to come.

Healthcare is important, would like to be no more than 10 miles from a good hospital if possible. Would prefer a slower environment to a crazy go go go environment. They don't like the cold weather so a moderate environment would be great although is it also true that in California you can drive a few hours and experience snow while driving the same amount in a different direction and experience spring? If so that sounds pretty dang amazing. Are there smaller towns or just suburbs of larger ones? I originate from a small town, population of 2,000 but less than 30 miles to nyc

Where would you choose your working retirement home under these conditions? And why?

Look at the communities in the large San Gabriel Valley area. There are plenty of really nice, quiet neighborhoods in the cities of Covina, West Covina, Glendora, Rowland Heights, San Dimas, La Verne and others which are considered suburbs of Los Angeles and Pasadena, with the requirements you're looking for. This area, San Gabriel Valley, is slapdab in the middle between mountains and oceans. West Covina and Rowland Heights have plenty Asian markets and restaurants. There are quite a few independent supermarkets v. the chain supermarkets, where you are able to get to choose from large selections of produce, at reasonable prices. Hospitals and clinics galore. There are T. Joe's strategically located. Just this morning I went to the Whole Food Market in Pasadena, The whole area has Fios for high-speed internet connection. Temucula is spread out and constantly being developed with newer homes and shopping centers. Not too long ago I went through that area. It is considered wine country. Many of the homes are modern and large. It's quite possible that there are more modest looking homes within your price range. Southern California is humongous. Really lots of areas to pick from with what you're looking for. Good luck. Hope you'll find the right location and the right house.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 PM

Would you all consider this a location worth considering in riverside?( 5520 Via San Jacinto, Riverside 92506 )( I think we've seen 6 or 7 listings in riverside, maybe 2-3 in Temecula. When we lived in west boca, one of the best parts was the close access to better groceries, fresh produce etc . Kings market which is closed now I think sold bell & evans free range chicken "parts" not just whole chickens, had prime beef. There's several places to buy really fresh fish and the selection of produce and fruits is excellent. We have found completely the opposite where we are on the west coast of Fla where it seems like the fruits in places like publix and winn Dixie are always picked too green to ever ripen, many fruits from south America, few from here. Horrible selection of the kind of poor quality meats it's an insult to the life that was taken to produce such garbage and there is no choice unless one wants to drive about 100 miles round trip to whole foods in Sarasota which in and of itself isn't the greatest but here it certainly is. While there's a good selection of Asian grocery stores over in palm bch cnty ( with one fellow in west palm still selling fish the old fashioned way, live, you pick, he guts and cleans for you free ). Very NY. But here in charlotte county the only real florida fresh fish place which was on the water in punta gorda, complete with seagulls hanging around to eat the freshly gutted fish, was closed down by the government and forced to relocate in a dirty stinky strip mall with little ventilation. Not what you would expect if you had never been to Fla before. This plus the health reasons has us really considering California, the trick as I mentioned, how to get me on an airplane without a trip to the er .......

What can we expect in these varios places in California? How is it really in the supermarkets and is there a place like west boca, priced in the less than 500k range, ( I see riverside in the 300's? ) ( Temecula in the 400's? ) that also has the everything in one town, both whole foods and an equivalent, fresh seafood markets, Asian markets, fruits and vegetables? Anyone know of a place to buy fresh live fish and have them cleaned there to take home to cook?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedlydee View Post
Look at the communities in the large San Gabriel Valley area. There are plenty of really nice, quiet neighborhoods in the cities of Covina, West Covina, Glendora, Rowland Heights, San Dimas, La Verne and others which are considered suburbs of Los Angeles and Pasadena, with the requirements you're looking for. This area, San Gabriel Valley, is slapdab in the middle between mountains and oceans. West Covina and Rowland Heights have plenty Asian markets and restaurants. There are quite a few independent supermarkets v. the chain supermarkets, where you are able to get to choose from large selections of produce, at reasonable prices. Hospitals and clinics galore. There are T. Joe's strategically located. Just this morning I went to the Whole Food Market in Pasadena, The whole area has Fios for high-speed internet connection. Temucula is spread out and constantly being developed with newer homes and shopping centers. Not too long ago I went through that area. It is considered wine country. Many of the homes are modern and large. It's quite possible that there are more modest looking homes within your price range. Southern California is humongous. Really lots of areas to pick from with what you're looking for. Good luck. Hope you'll find the right location and the right house.

Thank you for the uplifting reply. I need to check realtor.com and hope they are in the price range

Old 02-22-2014, 08:30 PM

I just looked up populations as the word "humongous" was mentioned and sure enough there's 87,000 people in boca raton fl and over 300,000 in riverside, 100,000 in Temecula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California