Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times

Advertisements

Conservatives have a pathological need to hate and demonize someone and it is always easier for them to hate those who have no power like the poor. Basically, conservatives are just horrible people who are deeply insecure with their own self worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So you can work, did work after and while receiving SSDI (free rent is still income), hated your job (many people aren't thrilled with the work they have to do but plug on to keep a roof over their head) and moved to taxpayer-subsidized housing which you're apparently eligible for even though you obviously can work in some capacity.

It remains very interesting and quite confusing in context.
Tell me about it. I really does sound like the guy is exactly the type of person he's complaining about. That's usually the case though.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:07 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
NoMoreSnowForMe is a lady and she's probably really insulted from you accusing her of being a conservative. Can't wait to see her reply to you. It'll probably be good.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Conservatives have a pathological need to hate and demonize someone and it is always easier for them to hate those who have no power like the poor. Basically, conservatives are just horrible people who are deeply insecure with their own self worth.
Conservatives are more charitable and generous, donating a higher percentage of their disposable income toward worthy causes than do liberals. Their gifts help support many of the places that provide aid to the homeless. What conservatives do not support is the entitlement mindset that has become commonplace in today's society. Many of the homeless are on the street because they wish to be, not because they have no other choice. They have learned how to work the system rather than to accept responsibility for their own welfare, and are quite happy and content to have others provide for them. As so many previous posts have stated, there is ample help available for those willing to help themselves.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
So basically they're just an eyesore or something? I don't get the outrage.
Some people find dandelions to be pretty yellow flowers. Others become "outraged" over the presence of weeds in their yard.

I guess the "eyesore" is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 AM

726 posts, read 1,368,320 times
I have tried to stay out of this thread but I can no longer resist.

I would think that the OP could view the homeless in her neighborhood as a daily reminder of what things might be like for her if she did not receive the help she receives.... a daily reminder to be thankful that those resources exist... subsidized housing, free food, help with utilities, monthly income from?, etc... these resources didn't always exist, and without them, there would likely be at least an order of magnitude more homeless people in this country, the OP might very well be one of them.

Many people are one paycheck, one medical emergency, one family crisis, one catastrophe away from being homeless. Some people are fortunate enough to have family/close friends to fall back on/lean on in times of crisis..... a safety net to get over hurdles in the road of life. Others aren't so lucky and just don't have that safety net, so when tragedy strikes, it knocks them down really hard with no easy way to get up.

There's also a matter of dignity. Some of the comments in this thread have reinforced my opinion that one of the main barriers to pulling people out of homelessness is lack of dignity. It takes dignity to help yourself and/or apply for help. However, the attitude toward the homeless make it very difficult for many homeless people to have dignity.

Some homeless people are broken-hearted by life. Each one has their own tragic story. Yes, I agree there are some who "game" the system and/or present themselves dishonestly (like the guy in the wheelchair who doesn't belong there). However, it is my opinion that the vast majority of the homeless people in this country do not fall into this category. Treating the homeless like an "eyesore," even if it is subtle such as the expression on your face as you walk by, or treating them with less dignity than you would treat any other human being, only exacerbates the problem and makes it even more difficult for them to improve their situation.

Regarding throwing away blankets/sweaters left for the homeless, I have to say that made me angry.... so much so, I didn't think I should respond at the time. I would encourage the OP, and anyone else who has ever done such a thing, to atone for this by volunteering in a shelter and buying new things to replace what you threw away. In essence, you stole from the homeless! Even if you didn't want to "encourage" the homeless to congregate at your apartment building, I would agree with another poster that the more appropriate/descent thing to do would have been to take those things to a shelter.

I don't mean to offend anyone there, including the OP, but I could not resist posting on this thread any longer.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I have tried to stay out of this thread but I can no longer resist.

I would think that the OP could view the homeless in her neighborhood as a daily reminder of what things might be like for her if she did not receive the help she receives.... a daily reminder to be thankful that those resources exist... subsidized housing, free food, help with utilities, monthly income from?, etc... these resources didn't always exist, and without them, there would likely be at least an order of magnitude more homeless people in this country, the OP might very well be one of them.

Many people are one paycheck, one medical emergency, one family crisis, one catastrophe away from being homeless. Some people are fortunate enough to have family/close friends to fall back on/lean on in times of crisis..... a safety net to get over hurdles in the road of life. Others aren't so lucky and just don't have that safety net, so when tragedy strikes, it knocks them down really hard with no easy way to get up.

There's also a matter of dignity. Some of the comments in this thread have reinforced my opinion that one of the main barriers to pulling people out of homelessness is lack of dignity. It takes dignity to help yourself and/or apply for help. However, the attitude toward the homeless make it very difficult for many homeless people to have dignity.

Some homeless people are broken-hearted by life. Each one has their own tragic story. Yes, I agree there are some who "game" the system and/or present themselves dishonestly (like the guy in the wheelchair who doesn't belong there). However, it is my opinion that the vast majority of the homeless people in this country do not fall into this category. Treating the homeless like an "eyesore," even if it is subtle such as the expression on your face as you walk by, or treating them with less dignity than you would treat any other human being, only exacerbates the problem and makes it even more difficult for them to improve their situation.

Regarding throwing away blankets/sweaters left for the homeless, I have to say that made me angry.... so much so, I didn't think I should respond at the time. I would encourage the OP, and anyone else who has ever done such a thing, to atone for this by volunteering in a shelter and buying new things to replace what you threw away. In essence, you stole from the homeless! Even if you didn't want to "encourage" the homeless to congregate at your apartment building, I would agree with another poster that the more appropriate/descent thing to do would have been to take those things to a shelter.

I don't mean to offend anyone there, including the OP, but I could not resist posting on this thread any longer.
But, would you want them camped out in your front yard? That's the point of the thread.

Think about that for a minute. You get up, have your coffee, walk to your car - past one sleeping on your porch, a couple more on the lawn, and by the time you get to your car one of them asked you for money.

Then your kids or grandkids come home or to visit, and they get dropped off at the curb. And they get to chat with the homeless guys on your lawn before they get to the front door.

Then some kind old ladies drive up in a car and bring food and blankets and maybe tents to the guys sleeping on your front lawn, so they will be comfortable and can stay there indefinitely. Maybe they even help them dig a pit for a fire, so they can be warm and cook up their food.

And then the word gets out that you're a great guy with a great camping spot on your front lawn, where people bring them free food and sleeping bags and blankets... So, now the original guys have lots of company coming to visit them, who may decide to stay, too.

Get my point? Do you want them camping in your front yard and sleeping on your porch?

Regardless of your kind feelings towards the homeless, and your sentiment of "There but for the grace of God go I," I bet the answer is no.

That's all I'm saying.

And for you to say that people on disability should have to live with homeless people on their front lawns is just...

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 03-03-2014 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Less is more.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
You didn't mention the smells that go along with wherever they camp. Urine, feces...

Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You didn't mention the smells that go along with wherever they camp. Urine, feces...
I couldn't rep you again. Don't get me started on the smell. Our poor maintenance guy has to deal with cleaning up the alcoves.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
So, yesterday, I come down the stairs and on the stoop someone has left a nice tote bag stuffed with a nice soft new blanket type jacket and other clothing and stuff. I looked at it and thought.....oh no you don't! And I took it and threw it away in the dumpster! Yep, I did.

What exactly gives you the right to determine who a bag with something in it belongs to then to steal that and throw it away because you assumed it was left for someone who is homeless?

Document everything in writing with dates, times, places etc then copy the documentation and attach it to a letter that is dated and signed to the building management and send it return reciept. If nothing is done about the problem go further up the ladder and continue to do so until you have exhausted all legal avenues.

One day when you are in need of help remember the items you stole and threw away when you don't get the help or the blanket or the coat that you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California