Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm not heartless about the homeless. But, here in Redding, there are so many resources for them. There are shelters, and tons of food banks, and places that feed them hot meals, and give them bicycles and all manner of things. So, when I rant about the homeless for a minute in this thread, I just want you all to know that they have lots of places to go - other than in front of, or on the back stoop of, my building.

No doubt, the shelters aren't always cozy, happy places. And some homeless people are more the loner type, but I don't want those folk feeling comfortable in front of my building, or sleeping on the back stoop/stairways.

For one, I have to use a keypad to get back into my building after 5pm and weekends and holidays. We're told not to let people in or let them see our codes. Do you really think I'm going to fight off some homeless person determined to come into the building? Not! But, this could be a serious problem if people in my building and neighborhood don't stop feeding these guys (mostly men) and providing them with blankets, etc., that they use to sleep in the building recesses - like the back stairwell/stoop. So far, none of them have behaved aggressively, but I'd rather have less of them to worry about - the fewer there are, the lower the likelihood something scary will happen, IMO.

I like to use the back stairs, as it leads right to an area where I can take my dog to do her business, and it's faster than taking the elevator. But, I've run into homeless folk when I open that back door, where they are hanging out in a recessed stoop area there. Perfect little place to sleep, go to the bathroom, whatever.

So, yesterday, I come down the stairs and on the stoop someone has left a nice tote bag stuffed with a nice soft new blanket type jacket and other clothing and stuff. I looked at it and thought.....oh no you don't! And I took it and threw it away in the dumpster! Yep, I did.

Give to the missions. Let them hand stuff out. But for Criminy sake, don't encourage them to come sleep on the back stoop/entrance!

Right now in downtown Redding there is this old homeless guy who looks like Gandalf! He has a long flowing white beard and long hair, and smokes a long pipe. Seriously - the Gandalf Wizard of downtown Redding! He's actually really well spoken and witty, and people bring him food and coffee, and donuts, etc. and hang out with him. He lives right on my block, moving from corner to corner, where there are benches and trees. He will sleep sitting up.

As quaint as he is, it still irks me to have him living on my street. I try to be open minded about it, but the bottom line is, he's a vagrant, and people are encouraging his behavior.

Occasionally, some homeless guy will decide that his territory is a tree with bark around it, surrounded by a bench across the street, next to a nice steak house, right on a corner in the middle of downtown, across from my building. This area is maybe 8 feet by 10 feet max. This guy literally made a little campground there, had his bike, his gear, etc. He was there a few days before the steak house owner apparently got the cops to move him out.

But there are a few Mother Teresa types in my building who go chat with these guys and bring them food and coffee, etc., etc. I just keep thinking of that saying, don't feed the bears. If you don't feed them, they will go somewhere else.

I'm sure the cops are overworked, understaffed and underpaid here. And I have to say, I've never felt in danger by any of these homeless guys. Even the one I practically fell over out the back door one day - I said hi, he made some comment about the rain slowing down, and I kept moving. But, then his next words were completely incomprehensible - just gibberish. So, I did complain that this guy had adopted our back stoop, and he appeared to be schizophrenic and who knows how he'd behave, and she somehow got him to move to a different corner, I heard. Another tenant told me she goes and talks to them and tells them they can't live there, and I guess they listen to her.

So, no, I don't feel in danger, really. But, I sure wish people would stop encouraging the homeless to hang out on my street.

NIMBY? You bet.

So, that's my politically-incorrect rant. Your thoughts? Experiences with homeless where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
One of the percs about living inland: Waaaay fewer homeless because this isn't a wealthy area and the temp extremes, especially the Summer heat, tend to drive them towards the coastal areas.

I wouldn't have tossed the stuff, as I hate to waste anything that can be used. I'd have stuck it in the car for drop off at the Salvos or Goodwill.

But it is nervy leaving them things on your doorstep. Too bad you can't deliver the bag of stuff along with a few homeless to that person's front porch.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I'd be calling the owner of the building. The security door is there for a reason, not to let in strangers. A security guard for a few days would fix that.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
One of the percs about living inland: Waaaay fewer homeless because this isn't a wealthy area and the temp extremes, especially the Summer heat, tend to drive them towards the coastal areas.

I wouldn't have tossed the stuff, as I hate to waste anything that can be used. I'd have stuck it in the car for drop off at the Salvos or Goodwill.

But it is nervy leaving them things on your doorstep. Too bad you can't deliver the bag of stuff along with a few homeless to that person's front porch.
I've just been here since November, and it's been so mild, other than the dusting of snow we got in Nov. It's supposed to get oppressively hot here in summer, too. So, maybe it will get better when it gets really hot...

Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
One thing I've never understood: We are urged by homeless advocates to believe that most homeless people are hapless victims of evictions, gentrification, parental neglect, etc. and that they deserve our unstinting care and support for these unfortunate situations they find themselves in through absolutely no fault of their own.

But many homeless refuse to go to shelters, claiming they're too dangerous. What makes them so dangerous? The other people in them, who are (or so it is claimed) often violent and aggressive.

Which tends to undermine the homeless advocates' claim that homeless people are all sad, helpless victims.

Clearly, at least some of them are victimizers.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
One thing I've never understood: We are urged by homeless advocates to believe that most homeless people are hapless victims of evictions, gentrification, parental neglect, etc. and that they deserve our unstinting care and support for these unfortunate situations they find themselves in through absolutely no fault of their own.

But many homeless refuse to go to shelters, claiming they're too dangerous. What makes them so dangerous? The other people in them, who are (or so it is claimed) often violent and aggressive.

Which tends to undermine the homeless advocates' claim that homeless people are all sad, helpless victims.

Clearly, at least some of them are victimizers.
Absolutely. Plus, some do have the means to get housing and choose not to.

For instance, the Gandalf Wizard guy - one day his crutches were on the corner and there was another guy sitting there amidst the coffee cups and donut boxes and sandwich wrappers, etc., and the Gandalf guy's blankets, etc., but no Gandalf.

I asked the guy sitting there (who was dressed like a Vietnam Vet and didn't look scary to me) and asked him if the Gandalf guy was okay. And the guy said, oh yeah, he just went to the bank.

The bank.

That's when I quite thinking the Gandalf Wizard was charming. The guy's got a bank account, and who knows what kind of pension or social security income, etc., yet chooses to live on the street on my block, encouraging other homeless people to hang out with him.

I want him to go be eccentric somewhere else.

The thing is, like in my building, you can be really low income, and be of a certain age, and you qualify for an apt. Any of these guys on disability can likely get an apt, and get on Section 8, etc., etc. Unless their crimes are so heinous they won't be accepted. But, I can tell you that there is a registered sex offender in my building, so the rules are pretty lax.

So, I really think most of them could get housing, but choose not to. And it's human nature to take the easier, softer path - so that's why I want it to be uncomfortable for them to live on my block. Then, they'll go somewhere else.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
There's definitely been a change the last 20 years or so in these small north state cities with the homeless/vagrants/bums. What was a rare sight to see is now commonplace. My fairly small town in full of them and this is a relatively recent occurrence. Everyone talks about them on bikes or foot roaming up and down Oro Dam Blvd. On certain days I'll get panhandled two or three times just trying to do a bit of shopping or go out to eat. I moved here from Monterey in 2008 and the problem here is just as bad as that touristy coastal city (given the smaller size Oroville is). My mother stopped going to the senior nutrition program for lunch because its been taken over by them. The people who run it won't press the issue on those who are obviously under 60 years old. Its really a quality of life issue and as you said, there are plenty of programs and aid specifically available to them.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
There's definitely been a change the last 20 years or so in these small north state cities with the homeless/vagrants/bums. What was a rare sight to see is now commonplace. My fairly small town in full of them and this is a relatively recent occurrence. Everyone talks about them on bikes or foot roaming up and down Oro Dam Blvd. On certain days I'll get panhandled two or three times just trying to do a bit of shopping or go out to eat. I moved here from Monterey in 2008 and the problem here is just as bad as that touristy coastal city (given the smaller size Oroville is). My mother stopped going to the senior nutrition program for lunch because its been taken over by them. The people who run it won't press the issue on those who are obviously under 60 years old. Its really a quality of life issue and as you said, there are plenty of programs and aid specifically available to them.
Wow. I had no idea there was a problem in Oroville, too!

See, I think they need to enforce the 60 year old limit at the senior center. Even here in Redding, they do that. They made me show my ID lol! I'm not quite 58. I'm in a 55+ building, and sometimes 55 is considered "senior" and sometimes it's not.

The word gets around with any group of people. You know the word is out that in Oroville you can get a free hot meal at the senior center, even if you're not a senior. I think it's a real shame that your Mom, who does qualify, doesn't feel comfortable going because they aren't enforcing the rules.

Here in Redding, I do go to the food banks that I qualify for. Because I can get mostly free food, I can then afford my insurance, etc. Insurance is important to me, but if I didn't get the free food, I'd have to let it go.

At any rate, these are all the free food opportunities that I qualify for - which any age qualifies for in Redding. Once I am in my 60's, I would qualify for even more. So, homeless seniors qualify for even more hot food opportunities (at the senior center - where they do check IDs), and I think there is another food giveaway for seniors only, too.

Here's what a non-senior can go to. Some make you prove you are low income, some don't.

Every day you can go to the Good News Mission for cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner - that's 7 days a week. I have never gone, as I'm told they require a religious service, and I've got plenty of food at home. Here, they also have a shelter and job training, and all kinds of other stuff, I think including free clothing, etc. I've never been there.

Every week you can go to the Salvation Army food bank on either Mon, Wed or Thurs. Generally this includes bread, pastries, and sometimes eggs and milk and other food like soups and salads that are past their sell-by date.

Once a week on Wed you can go to the Seventh Day Adventist food giveaway, where they will give you milk and eggs and cheese, and bread, pastries, veggies, snacks.

Once a month you can go to the Loaves and Fishes giveaway (it's every Saturday, but you can only go once/month). These guys make you prove you qualify with documents, ID, etc., etc. They give away a lot of stuff from Trader Joe's, including fresh flowers, which is a real treat. Meat, fresh veggies and fruit, milk, eggs, desserts. I've even gotten fresh herbs - that's another thing other folk aren't usually interested in, so they will give me a bunch of it. I take them home and make soup. They also give away pre-cooked, packaged frozen food from Trader Joes that is past it's sell-by date. Usually it was fresh food that needed to be used or frozen by x-date. So, the charity freezes it by that date, and gives them away.

On the first and third Fridays (you can only go to one of them per month) there is a food distribution at the senior center (on these days you don't have to be a senior). This is the mother lode of food giveaways. They give you meat, eggs, milk (sometimes milk is only for families with kids - depends on how much they have) pasta, rice, beans, bread, pastries, canned goods, and then you go out back where you can fill one bag with as much fresh produce as you can stuff in the bag. There are rows and rows of boxes - I usually pick up stuff I can make soup out of - carrots, onions, potatoes, squash, bell peppers. And I usually end up with some mushrooms, salad, limes, and there is also a bunch of fruit like berries, etc. I've actually picked up enough of one type of item to be able to can it. For instance they had a ton of bella mushrooms one day and nobody really wanted them, so I filled most of my bag up with containers of sliced bella mushrooms and came home and canned them up. Anyway, this one is the mother lode to me, as I get the fresh produce here.

On the last Fridays of the month, you can go to the USDA commodity giveaway. Twice now they've sent me home with a ten pound bag of chicken leg quarters. They will also include canned goods, and sometimes juice. This is usually the mother lode for meat.

Those are all that I know of. So, obviously, there is no reason for these guys to be begging for food. When I drive by the ones that have signs saying they need food, I laugh. People who don't realize what's available to the homeless here probably fall for that one, but not me lol!

So, instead of helping the homeless, we've created so many resources for them here, that we are now, basically, encouraging homeless to move here, IMO.

I heard one of the tenants here talking to another tenant (the first being one of the Mother Teresa types) about how the word has gotten out in the SF Bay Area that the homeless there should move to Redding.

Can you blame them? No. But, I still don't want them living in front of my building and on my back stoop!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM

Out of curiosity, I looked at the Good News Mission's website to see what their rules were regarding shelter:

https://gnrm.org/services/shelter

Apparently, they can stay there for 30 days, and during that time, they will help the homeless come up with a plan, find housing, jobs, etc., etc., and even let them stay past the 30 days if they get a job and save their money towards deposits, etc., for a place to rent. They also offer alcohol and drug abuse rehabilitation. I am pretty sure it all comes with a lot of religion.

So, I suppose some homeless folk use up their 30 days, don't get a job or whatever, and have to go sleep somewhere else. Or they just can't take the religion, and choose not to stay there.

The website says they have 200 people stay there every night on average. Wow! And that's just the ones at the shelter.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I heard one of the tenants here talking to another tenant (the first being one of the Mother Teresa types) about how the word has gotten out in the SF Bay Area that the homeless there should move to Redding.
I believe there's a significant population of itinerant homeless who travel up and down the West Coast in search of the easiest pickings. On a couple of recent road trips I saw them in King City and Lost Hills -- neither of which is what one might call a "destination" city for the homeless -- waiting at gas stations for rides, friends, or whatever. And there was a significant population of them in Palm Springs.

Most of them were young (under 40 anyway) and appeared able-bodied. A couple of them had dogs in tow. I suppose that once summer arrives, they'll all head up to Oregon and Washington, as they usually do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California