Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 04:21 PM

213 posts, read 252,525 times

Advertisements

Stupid, retarded, plain dumb, pure garbage, etc etc

Do I need to say more? It's a pie in the sky scenario from an old Silicon Valley investor who clearly has no touch with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:37 PM

807 posts, read 898,080 times
Previous thread on C-D California forums:
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...alifornia.html

For people who dislike the inefficiencies of bureaucracies: Do you really want to multiply government by 6x? Sounds more like a plot to drain productivity in California by channeling people into redundant paper pushing infrastructure.

New organizations means creation of redundant administrative and executive level positions plus multiple board of directors, all demanding executive level compensation. 6x UC Regents? No thanks.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:59 PM

42 posts, read 60,825 times
This is nothing more than a gerrymandering attempt from butthurt republicans. I guess Texas should be split too?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 PM

702 posts, read 953,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Bilic View Post
his motives in pursuing this quixotic dream are unclear.
His motives are extremely obvious - he wants to create conservative states bordering San Francisco and Los Angeles so he can do business there, and not pay California taxes. He's nothing but a greedy sack of crap.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:32 AM

30 posts, read 36,167 times
I am neither for neither against. But I noticed that fragmentation of country is somekind of natural social process. It depends on how much, developed and populated country is. On the map I posted below we can see that eastern parts of U.S. which are at least 200 hundred years older(colonized before) are more fragmentated into counties and states then western parts. I think it is inevitable process that is slowly moving into west. And California is first because it is higly populated, developed and organized of all western states. I don't think this process has much to do with Tim Draper. It is inevitable, with or without him....

img

Old 12-30-2014, 07:47 AM

In the east part we have small countries, especially in New England which was colonized and developed amongst first of firsts. As we go westward through mid east countries enlarge. And finally when we reach west, which is colonized last, we have largest countries. But fragmentation through history is fact. What was once known as Oregon teritory is today split among several states: Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, some parts of British Columbia on the other side of border....

Old 12-30-2014, 08:22 AM

I mean, whole California was initially founded by settlers who had interest in digging gold. Actually lots o those settlers were not diging gold, but they were acompanying those who were after gold. There were farmers, merchants, pub owners, construction workers. But they were all people with same or similar interests. To find new life and place to live alongside with business to suport themselves. Now there are new people with new interests. So, Tim Draper as enterpreneur might just be one of them. He is not only obscure and oportunistic enterpreneur in history of this part of the world. Most of enterpreneurs who were after gold during gold rush were like that. Most enterpreneurs behind fur trapping business were like that. U.S. founding fathers were pretty much obscure people if you ask me....

Old 12-30-2014, 08:37 AM

Just one more: I could not without noticing that land under people is behaving like glass under weigh. As you put more weigh on the glass, it breaks into more pieces. The same is with land. As you put more people on land, it fragmentates into more political parts. Because of different interests those people pursue, I guess....

Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Bilic View Post
I guess this was already discussed here. However beeing a new member on this forum I missed it. Actually I am not from California either. But I would really like to know what people here think about issue. As Tim Draper's arguments are those that California is too big country with too many diversities to be suitable for governing as single state. But what do you think and feel about it?
By that logic, countries much larger than California should not exist -- for example, let alone mega-countries like China, India, Russia, Brazil, even US.

What about countries like Germany, France, Egypt, Indonesia, Poland, Italy, even Spain and GB? Why don't Australia and Canada become fully independent?

I mean there are many countries, larger than California, with even more diversity (ethnic, cultural, etc) that still remain countries as a whole.

Square miles, millions of people, "diversity" (which can mean different things to you and me) -- I don't think these alone are valid reasons to break up California.

Break-ups usually happen when a part of a country is politically organized, well-financed, well-equipped, etc. can force separation from a repressive remote Govt. Separation is always due to economic and political power shift nature.

Plan of Separation and avenue must be also clear. External actors, powerful allies must be secured in order to go ahead with it.

Conditions must also be ripe for it. Usually significant political events, although they happen quickly, such events take time to marinate, and escalate.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:17 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
By that logic, countries much larger than California should not exist -- for example, let alone mega-countries like China, India, Russia, Brazil, even US.

What about countries like Germany, France, Egypt, Indonesia, Poland, Italy, even Spain and GB? Why don't Australia and Canada become fully independent?

I mean there are many countries, larger than California, with even more diversity (ethnic, cultural, etc) that still remain countries as a whole.

Square miles, millions of people, "diversity" (which can mean different things to you and me) -- I don't think these alone are valid reasons to break up California.

Break-ups usually happen when a part of a country is politically organized, well-financed, well-equipped, etc. can force separation from a repressive remote Govt. Separation is always due to economic and political power shift nature.

Plan of Separation and avenue must be also clear. External actors, powerful allies must be secured in order to go ahead with it.

Conditions must also be ripe for it. Usually significant political events, although they happen quickly, such events take time to marinate, and escalate.
But none of this is required on CD forum. Here, we simply secede. And I do mean "simply"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California