Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,244,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
I dunno. I think they are built by private developers who build/renovate airport terminals and shopping malls around this country but are actually managed by state and money to this goes from paid tolls and maybe also taxes. Dunno about farms. But how do you think interstate highways were built out through this whole big country during Eisenhower? If they needed that many permissions on local level it would have never materialized.

In Europe, most public roads highways are built by private contractors hired by governments not DOT's. Yet quality of their road conditions for most part is better than our's.
Well, a road is one thing, a shopping mall for profit is quite another, IMO.

Davis: Take the Mace Road exit and go east. Gas stations, restaurants, grocery store right there. Used to live in Davis. Plus, parking isn't a problem off Mace Rd exit. Downtown is not traveler-friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 01:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Still funded by taxpayer dollars.
That sound you heard right before posting was my point impacting the wall above your head.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 AM

10,399 posts, read 15,480,729 times
Quote:
Quote Think4Yourself
Statewide Rest Areas
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/ra/Statewide.htm

That details every single rest stop in the state with various categories of what services it offers. The categories are, in yes or no format, restrooms, water, picnic tables, telephones, handicapped access, RV over night hookups, food vending, pet area, and cigarette smoking area.
You answered the question fantastic response which gets you a Rep +1

Old 03-04-2014, 11:34 AM

525 posts, read 810,085 times
t
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, a road is one thing, a shopping mall for profit is quite another, IMO.

Davis: Take the Mace Road exit and go east. Gas stations, restaurants, grocery store right there. Used to live in Davis. Plus, parking isn't a problem off Mace Rd exit. Downtown is not traveler-friendly.
So? Why being so modest? A lot of basic necessities in life are for profit. Take clothing for example. If people really did not need them, those services I described would not exist in other states. But they are out there and are very popular.Its more of pay per use model than tax. Food/retail vendors don't rent those facilities for free and must pay for those as well. All roads take taxes whether you use them or not, just because you don't drive on one of those less important in middle of nowhere, does it mean you shouldn't pay for these even though others use it? What about bus, train stations and airports? Should we not build shops there since its for profit, non-essential so everybody should bring their own sandwich and thermos for coffee? Lets probably not buy in restaurants because everybody can cook at home leaving towns with nothing but grocery stores. Who needs hotels since everybody can camp out on street or at stranger's house. LOL

What CA could do would at least is add more information signs on highways. And when deploying them doing so correctly. Not somewhat half-a** with information sign 1 mile before exit, but then on exit no sign forcing drives not familiar with an area to wander around like ghost.

Last edited by kyle242; 03-04-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 03-04-2014, 03:40 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Years ago, we stopped in a few rest areas in Oregon. Volunteers were offering free coffee to travelers. I thought it was a pretty nice, thoughtful gesture...

I don't know if this is still offered.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,959,445 times
HawkJ,

As we fast forward to the 21st century. At these same stops, I wonder if travelers find drugs and ladies of the night offering their services. :-)

Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 PM

139 posts, read 357,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
FREEways
You got it. I think what the OP is talking about is that these rest areas are on tollroads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California