Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:35 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times

Advertisements

I hope this gets a vote and passes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 08:55 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
I want to see the trained sea anemone. Something very exciting going on with those critters.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
My daughter has a Masters degree in Marine Education and works at the Seattle Aquarium. You want to see a 20 something go completely berserk? Ask her about captive Orca.

BTW, she can also identify most of the individuals in the Orca pods in Puget Sound! Arcane information runs in the family.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
My daughter has a Masters degree in Marine Education and works at the Seattle Aquarium. You want to see a 20 something go completely berserk? Ask her about captive Orca.

BTW, she can also identify most of the individuals in the Orca pods in Puget Sound! Arcane information runs in the family.
Cool! Great profession she has. I wonder how humane the rest of those marine shows are. Are the dolphins really that happy? I love the Seattle aquarium.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
I worked at SeaWorld for almost 20 years. I have no love lost for the place but I have to say that Blackfish was not entirely accurate.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:44 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Free the Orcas -- we need better roads.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I worked at SeaWorld for almost 20 years. I have no love lost for the place but I have to say that Blackfish was not entirely accurate.
No? Tell us more...

Old 03-09-2014, 12:32 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No? Tell us more...
Ruth, the name Gentoo is after a species of penguin. I worked with the penguins briefly. I have known people in the curatorial departments for 20 years. While I haven't spent all my time in those departments, let me tell you this much; Blackfish claimed that SeaWorld mistreats its animals to the point of denying them food. This simply isn't true. The animals may not get that food immediately but they always get the food that's been measured out for them each day. Sea World is a member of the AZA, it has to meet certain guidelines. There are days when the animals simply east less as well. People eat less on some days too. I know a lot of the trainers personally and I can assure you that these people would just as soon lose their jobs than to do anything that they know would harms the animals. Remember, they spend more time withe the animals than they do with their own families.

This is my only issue with Blackfish. I defend the people who work with the animals after having done so myself. Beyond that, like I said, I've no love lost for SeaWorld as a company. I just wanted to clear that up.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ruth, the name Gentoo is after a species of penguin. I worked with the penguins briefly. I have known people in the curatorial departments for 20 years. While I haven't spent all my time in those departments, let me tell you this much; Blackfish claimed that SeaWorld mistreats its animals to the point of denying them food. This simply isn't true. The animals may not get that food immediately but they always get the food that's been measured out for them each day. Sea World is a member of the AZA, it has to meet certain guidelines. There are days when the animals simply east less as well. People eat less on some days too. I know a lot of the trainers personally and I can assure you that these people would just as soon lose their jobs than to do anything that they know would harms the animals. Remember, they spend more time withe the animals than they do with their own families.

This is my only issue with Blackfish. I defend the people who work with the animals after having done so myself. Beyond that, like I said, I've no love lost for SeaWorld as a company. I just wanted to clear that up.
Thanks. I didn't see the entire film, so I didn't know there was a claim that they weren't feeding the whale properly. I thought its problem was more in the realm of psychological trauma from being confined , and I forget what other issues there were. Something about how he was caught and transferred, I forget.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:45 PM

297 posts, read 766,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks. I didn't see the entire film, so I didn't know there was a claim that they weren't feeding the whale properly. I thought its problem was more in the realm of psychological trauma from being confined , and I forget what other issues there were. Something about how he was caught and transferred, I forget.

Yeah, I watched the whole movie and my impression was not that the Orca are being starved or treated poorly, in fact the trainers sounded like they truly cared about the animals they worked with. There was one scene where a trainer didnt give a fish to the Orca due to miscommunication of a trick, but she wasnt starving it (I believe that was the woman whom Tilikum killed).

My impression of the primary reasons that Orca should not be in captivity is the social/emotional aspect, and captivity causing health problems and shortened life span. The scene that made me cry was the mother being separated from her baby and her crying/screaming for 2 days nonstop. What i didn't know about Orca before seeing the movie is that each pod has its own language-they cant talk to other pods and that the social center of their brain is much larger then ours and they have more social needs then humans. The parks just throw together orca from different parts of the world and so they can't communicate, and the footage of young Tilikum getting bitten and scratched by the older female orca who couldn't talk to him was heartbreaking.

Whether the ban gets approved or not, I will not be going to any park that has orca in captivity. if i want to see Orca, i will take a whale watching boat and see them in nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California