Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 12:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times

Advertisements

Okay, I did a little research. Here's an article from SF Gate about how farmers even get subsidies to buy insurance on their crops. It also talks about the subsidies almond farmers get.

Large farms' crop insurance subsidies criticized - SFGate

Then, they'll probably get disaster aid, too.

So, buy Spanish almonds, if CA almond conglomerates decide to also raise prices on crops that are subsidized and insured by the govt, and probably benefited from disaster aid, too. I bet they taste the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 03:05 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,672,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Therefore, we should all commit suicide? What?

And do you know any almond farmers? I met one once who gets govt subsidies to grow almonds of some sort. They were boasting about what a score it was as far as subsidies or tax write-offs or something. They probably get some kind of subsidies for tearing out the trees, too.

I used to get freaked out about this stuff, but I'm too old now. I've seen the cycles. They come, they go. If it's a big enough news story, there's federal money in it. Then state money from the federal money to the folk who know how to get it because of the "disaster."

For you and I, it's just a higher water bill, and forced rationing. Until we get another wet year.

I feel another yawn coming on...

Oh, and thanks to NAFTA, we don't have to rely only on CA agribusiness for cheap produce anymore.
Yawn all you like. For some, it's an interesting discussion. Maybe not your interest but interesting, nonetheless. And no. No one needs to consider suicide. And no one is freaking out, as you think. There's no need for sarcasm. I merely pointed out what will happen to agriculture when drought conditions occur and continue for a long period of time.

And yes, I do know several almond growers. Not only almonds, but walnuts, grapes and a few cattle ranchers. You can't help that when you grow up and live in an area of the state where farming and ranching is predominant. But that's beside the point. My comments had nothing to do with subsidies (which I know farmers receive). It had to do with the lack of water available for crops and I will reiterate. Waiting to see what happens until May is naïve when farmers plant their crops early in Spring for Summer harvest. So, I will stay on topic with regard to the lack of rain and low lake levels and leave the farmers subsidies for another thread.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:23 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
We used to do a lot of camping/fishing, from Tracy to Firebaugh, along the Delta/Mendota & CA Aqueduct canals. We camped in our ol 1978 American clipper 'C' motorhome. We caught catfish & Striped Bass. Water flowed through the gates from the CA Delta. We've had many FUN times with family & friends, over the years...

I noticed the fruit & nut orchards got irrigation water from the canals through valves along the canals. Water tanker trucks would pump water out of the Delta/Mendota. I noticed many beehives in the orchards.

Sometimes in the evening we sat outside watching the heat lightning, in the distance, over towards Modesto...

Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
and I will reiterate. Waiting to see what happens until May is naïve when farmers plant their crops early in Spring for Summer harvest.
Okay, let's drop the fact that the poor farmers pulling up their trees because of the drought get tons of govt money, therefore, I don't think anyone should feel sorry for them.

Let's discuss my naivete. If I wasn't naive, what would happen or not happen?

Let's say I don't wait until May to see how we are water-wise. Then what?

What should I, and anyone else in CA, do that would not be naive with regards to water levels that may or may not rise by May?

If this thread is truly not just about freaking out over the drought, let's get proactive here? What shall we DO?

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 03-16-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,159 times
Here is a way to be proactive. Everyone can incorporate these tips:

Aquafornia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California