Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Went to the Redding Costco yesterday, and there was a huge display in the middle of the warehouse for NJoy E-Cigarettes! I was so surprised!

Costco quit carrying tobacco products a few years back, and the tobacco products used to be behind a cage where a clerk had to buzz you in. E-cigs are chock full of nicotine, so I was surprised to see them out for all shoppers to have access to them.

And in CA even e-cigarettes are getting a ton of flack.

What do you think of this? Seems weird for Costco to carry these in the open, especially in CA to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 05:55 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
I really didn't know that Costco stopped selling tobacco product.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:22 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I really didn't know that Costco stopped selling tobacco product.
LOL. That's exactly what I said when I read this post! I had no idea. But I don't shop there....It does seem weird, no more snow for me, that they would carry e cigs....but maybe b/c there's no evidence established yet regarding their potential hazards, etc. Not sure.

Personally, I usually recommend [when asked] people to go to an acupuncturist and also drink quit smoking chinese herbal tea that goes along with the short term treatments. I know people who have quit this way, quickly and permanently, as well as through hypnotherapy, which often works like a champ. But, whatever works for people.... I'm from the school of 'Use whatever works for you' philosophy. (: I really don't get e-cigs enough to comment on them. If they have nicotine, it seems like you would still be addicted to something then? And need to spend your money to support that 'new' habit??? Ah....now I might be seeing the picture...$$$ LOL. I seriously have no idea.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:20 PM

200 posts, read 453,913 times
I don't see a problem selling e-cigs at all! In fact, my daughter uses them to help her quit regular cigarettes ( she is off them completely now ) which are MUCH more harmful since she can choose the level of nicotine, reducing the level to where she is "vaping" mostly vegetable glycerine, a harmless food additive. The only people who are creating a flack about the "harmfulness" of e cigs are the tobacco companies who are losing millions of dollars to those who are providing a MUCH less harmful alternative at a cost that is also much less expensive than smoking tobacco.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:54 PM

833 posts, read 1,198,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleK View Post
I don't see a problem selling e-cigs at all! In fact, my daughter uses them to help her quit regular cigarettes ( she is off them completely now ) which are MUCH more harmful since she can choose the level of nicotine, reducing the level to where she is "vaping" mostly vegetable glycerine, a harmless food additive. The only people who are creating a flack about the "harmfulness" of e cigs are the tobacco companies who are losing millions of dollars to those who are providing a MUCH less harmful alternative at a cost that is also much less expensive than smoking tobacco.
I agree.

Some people choose to quit, some people don't. I am one of those who vape, and don't want to quit. I can say that my body feels SO MUCH better than when I was a smoker. I now run 2 miles a day with no issues, chest pains gone, and blood pressure has been perfect ever since. Big tobacco are the ones making a fuss, and they have the money to do so.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I was still smoking when the Costco in Santa Clara quit selling tobacco. I was so bummed lol! I could get a great deal on cartons there.

I tried all kinds of things to quit and it ended up being e-cigs that finally did it for me. I even used NJoy e-cigs lol! I used them for probably 6 months total before I quit those, too.

I have been hearing so much about restaurants, etc., in CA not even allowing e-cigs, so they just seem so controversial now, I was really surprised to see the store display.

I do think they should put them where kids can't get their hands on them, though, and not on a display in the middle of the store. They're still nicotine products.

Oh well, not a major controversy I guess, by you all's benign responses. I was just surprised, given all the hoopla lately regarding e-cigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California