Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 AM

525 posts, read 815,631 times

Advertisements

Highways,
Airports,
public transit
etc

How do they compare to other states? I lived in Illinois (Chicagoland) and moved recently to California (Bay Area). In Illinois roads, highways were in very bad shape but in recent years have dramatically improved. However highways are little narrow expect in the city limit for metro area that big, especially considering I 290 has for most part only 3 lanes. No HOV, HOT lanes but there are tollways throughout most areas. Airports, O'hare and Midway I believe are decent and catching up with modernization. As for congestion and delays at O'hare it still has long way to go but its getting closer. Of course there is this weather factor but lets just focus on controllable factors by people. Public transit is decent and spread out but there are some areas where you better off with car and in western suburbs you cannot anywhere without a car. As for shipping I noticed, most of those are delivered by trucks and you notice a lot of trucks on road all the time. And as for rail, well chicago being's rail hub it has trains suburban and intercity going everywhere. You can can catch train from Chicago to St Louis and be there in 6 hours.

Now for California. First major difference and shock to me was noticing a lack of street lighting on highways, even on many interchanges where they are supposed to be on. On other hand, they use reflective bot dots that helps at night but many sections are worn out and interchanges, ramps at night are dangerous.

While some sections highways seemed to have smooth surfaces, I noticed majority in Bay Area is made of old cracked concrete and in many areas its very bumpy to drive, especially on section of I280 near Palo Alto/Stanford. Its just unbelievable that high affluent areas would have highway infrastructure so behind. On other hand highways have more lines and handle traffic better but it still results in huge congestions because many more people drive here than take public transit. But on good side I noticed, there is a much less truck traffic with long trails probably due to smaller ramps and close access to sea cargo. I do not know how highways LA area compares but have seen some constructions there last year which might suggest it should catch up.

As for Airports, SFO impressed and listed high on my list, above O'hare for modern, clean facilities, amenities. Then there is also SJC that is great for domestic. However, I was disgusted at LAX when I transferred through a terminal that looked like a bus stop, dirty with stinky bathrooms and only food burger king or mediocre overpriced sandwich, lack of charges. Even look at LAX website, it still looks like made in 1998.

As for public transit, I noticed its much less extensive in California whether local or intercity but I noticed in Bay Area in suburbs, especially in San Jose public transport is better developed than in Chicago suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
I give your post a "so what" on the how much do I care scale.

Everywhere is a different place. We do it our way, other places do it their way.

Personally, how it's done in the rest of the world is no matter to me.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post

Everywhere is a different place. We do it our way, other places do it their way.

This is the main problem of America. Nobody cares about what others have done in other parts of the world.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
This is the main problem of America. Nobody cares about what others have done in other parts of the world.
Ain't that the truth! But it may be more of a CA issue than an American issue. Why, they might actually be able to learn something. How horrible!

Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 PM

462 posts, read 741,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post

And you wonder why the US and CA are on a decline....... Thats like saying, ya screw other places that may do things better! Were CA we do things our own stupid way!

Last edited by Wilson502; 03-21-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 02:28 PM

525 posts, read 815,631 times
Thats like if i made comparision between any major city in the US and Hong Kong and told they have airline concierge services in subways where you can check in for flight and your baggage before getting onto express train to airport. How cool was that if we had that here. And then you get response we dont care!

Old 03-21-2014, 02:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
First major difference and shock to me was noticing a lack of street lighting on highways, even on many interchanges where they are supposed to be on.
Sorry, but I'm all for wanting to save energy and to reduce light pollution, so I can see the stars once in a while.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Now for California. First major difference and shock to me was noticing a lack of street lighting on highways, even on many interchanges where they are supposed to be on. On other hand, they use reflective bot dots that helps at night but many sections are worn out and interchanges, ramps at night are dangerous.
And that my friend is why they put lights on the front of cars. I don't need street lights when I drive at night.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:23 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
As I've moved around the US I've paid varying amounts of taxes from low to high and everything in-between. This thread reminds me of a question I've often asked. Why did I pay more taxes in CA than I do here in WA or did in FL, etc? What is the noticeable difference that makes one say "ahhh, that's where the money is going"? I never really see anything that stands out. Better infrastructure? Not that I can see. Not sure how much of it is paid by the feds anyway. Better primary schools? No. Cheaper college tuition? No. Better social programs? In some cases, but not any better than where I am now. The large population mostly bundled up in two areas makes me ask where the economies of scale are. Why doesn't CA either have the lowest taxes in the nation or something stellar to show such as free/cheap higher education, free healthcare, stellar public transportation, schools with the smallest class sizes, the smoothest roads in the nation, etc.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Why doesn't CA either have the lowest taxes in the nation or something stellar to show such as free/cheap higher education, free healthcare, stellar public transportation, schools with the smallest class sizes, the smoothest roads in the nation, etc.
Having worked with, not for, and often against the Legislature for the better part of 20 years I think I can answer that. Out-of-control social, feel good spending and unfunded mandates coupled with union owned and operated politicians and runaway civil service wages, benefits and retirement packages.

Whew! That felt good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California