Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:48 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Got a better idea: Bring your own friggin bag. That too damn hard for you?
How about you and your ilk take responsibility for what you wrought?

But you wont, because you and your ilk are blameless, arent you ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Apparently. Too much of an inconvienance. What I find annoying is having a whole cupboard full of plastic bags that when I go to reuse them, they have a big hole in the bottom.
So double or triple them up.

Geez you people ...

Old 07-23-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Mmmm, no, Chuck. Actually, the plastics industry is responsible for plastics. But anyway, I guess you feel it's not okay to learn and change. Once anyone takes a position on an issue, you should stick with it regardless of new evidence demonstrating harm.

Thalidomide comes to mind. Pregnant woman should just keep taking it in spite of birth defects. After all, it was brought to us by the wise and venerated pharmaceutical industry. They said it was a great, safe product!
Ummmmmm no Teemutt. But thanks for DENYING that the liberal left is not as pure as the driven snow.

I was there. The environwhack movement was absolutely wrong when they demanded that retailers stop using paper bags because it killed trees. Remember - I was there. Where were you? How old are you?

I enjoy that the envirowhacks continue to deny their own culpability.

PS I and you maybe agree to the issue of Big Pharma. See my posts on the Diabetes forum.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
How about you and your ilk take responsibility for what you wrought?

But you wont, because you and your ilk are blameless, arent you ...
Meanwhile, Your "ilk" absolutely refuse to evolve, unlike the majority of the rest of the industrialized world.
If there is need to improve the whole grocery bag saga, so be it that curtailing clear cutting for plastic bags was the answer back then. They figured those things would biodegrade. When it became evident that they were getting into all manner of aquatic and terrestrial habitats often severely degrading these and their inhabitants, it was time to revisit the issue. So we have arrived at what countless other countries figured out long ago: Throwaway society doesn't work, if we are to at all consider the health of the environment beyond today. Long past time to evolve on this simple issue, but Americans a can be incredibly stubborn about anything. Just because.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Mmmm, no, Chuck. Actually, the plastics industry is responsible for plastics. But anyway, I guess you feel it's not okay to learn and change. Once anyone takes a position on an issue, you should stick with it regardless of new evidence demonstrating harm.

Thalidomide comes to mind. Pregnant woman should just keep taking it in spite of birth defects. After all, it was brought to us by the wise and venerated pharmaceutical industry. They said it was a great, safe product!
So you and I are old enough to remember Thalidomide ... kewl!

That was the first of the many steps that I can recall that has led to where we are today - Big Pharma driven medicine. Bet you and I agree that this is a Bad Thing. But this has NOTHING to do with plastic bags.

Yeah, deflect all you want. It is the environmentalists who pressured the retail industry to stop using paper bags because paper bags killed trees. Deny all you want. But I was there. Were you?

Plastic bags are evil. I get it. I agree. But why should I pay for the privilege of having a retailer GIVE me a paper bag when I purchase something?

PS paper bags STILL kill trees, something the envirowhacks still hold in anathema, I presume.

Admit it. You folks just want to lord it over us by imposing yet another of your useless agendas upon all the rest of us.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:40 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Ummmmmm no Teemutt. but thanks for DENYING that the liberal left is pure as the driven snow.

I was there. The environwhack movement was absolutely wrong when the demanded that retailers stop using paper bags because it killed trees. Remember - I was there. Where were you? How old are you?

I enjoy that the envirowhacks continue to deny their own culpability.

PS I and you maybe agree to the issue of Big Pharma. See my posts on the Diabetes forum.
Well, Chuck, just a few more laps around the sun and I'll be 70

And sure, I remember the campaigns to stop using paper bags. What I just pointed out to you, using the Thalidomide comment, was that people learn as they go. The environ-wackos included. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Now they realize it has boomeranged on 'em. Live and learn.

And if it's the money, Chuck, fish around in your couch cushions before you head out to the store. I'm betting you lose more than a few bag's worth of nickels plus enough more for a candy bar every time you take one of those quick little naps us old timers are known to sneak

Old 07-23-2014, 05:53 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I guess we can just think about what our parents did - or depending on your age - your grandparents did. I remember the days before paper towels. We used cloth washrags and towels and washed them. There was no plastic wrap for foods until Saran wrap, or aluminum foil, etc., etc. These things made life easier, but life was not impossible before them.

Funny, the first thing I thought when I read the thread was, what about doggie bags? LOL! And forget about those smaller bags for picking up dog poop, hello! I want LOTS of room for error when I'm doing the doggie pickup deed. Not doing that job with a sandwich bag, no way, no how!

Hey... we've used wax paper since the dawn of time

Old 07-24-2014, 02:51 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Quote:
So double or triple them up.

Geez you people ...
Does not work when every bag has a hole and just falls apart.
Geez....some person!
You have the answer to everything. How about you solve the problem of plastic bags that line the roads and make this beautiful area in which we live a unpleasant view.
Either you can keep complaining and be part of the problem, or just deal with having to quadruple up your plastic bags that only hold about three items so you will have to carry around several dozen bags, or just go with the flow and use some cloth bags.
A ban was voted in where I live, I did not vote, but the majority of folks felt it would be a good thing. I'm not complaining about it. And I'm not blaming envirowackos either.
The majority of the public felt that a ban was needed. Did you vote against the ban?
All in all, I think it is a really silly thing for you to get your blood pressure up over something that will benefit the planet as a whole.
Isn't there something more worthy of such frustration that you could focus on?

And- not sure where I read it- but it was an article that provided facts and dispelled the myths about the plastic bad issue. The solution was not to ban plastic bags (which would make you happy, right?), but to impose a tax on anyone who chose to use them....would that make you happier than you are now with a ban?

Old 07-24-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Well, Chuck, just a few more laps around the sun and I'll be 70

And sure, I remember the campaigns to stop using paper bags. What I just pointed out to you, using the Thalidomide comment, was that people learn as they go. The environ-wackos included. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Now they realize it has boomeranged on 'em. Live and learn.

And if it's the money, Chuck, fish around in your couch cushions before you head out to the store. I'm betting you lose more than a few bag's worth of nickels plus enough more for a candy bar every time you take one of those quick little naps us old timers are known to sneak
I delight in taking my black plastic bags, you know, the ones they still hand out at the adult beverage stores, into Whole Foods. They have to pack my purchases into plastic bags, and they credit me 5 cents for each one they use. Win-win!

Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
I delight in taking my black plastic bags, you know, the ones they still hand out at the adult beverage stores, into Whole Foods. They have to pack my purchases into plastic bags, and they credit me 5 cents for each one they use. Win-win!
That's the old-timer spirit, Chuck - enjoy a devious solution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California