Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:04 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times

Advertisements

My usual answer to any poster ...

It's Calif., California, CA, NoCal, or SoCal.
Cali is the name of a Valley Girl who uses Valspeak, or the misspelling of the name of a character on Grey's Anatomy.
with the addition of ...
(To a Colorado poster) Or do you also say you live in Coli?
(To a Texas poster) Or do you also say you live in Texi?
(To a Washington poster) Or do you also say you live in Washi?

Yeah, you could say I don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 04:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orenthal_james View Post
Commiefornia is the correct term.
...for the crazy drunk uncle set. We're only too happy to have those types reveal themselves as those who do NOT live in the Golden State. We salute you fine folks for your useful forebearance.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 PM

934 posts, read 1,127,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
It drives me nuts when I hear or see people referring to California as "Cali". Just call California California. Does this annoy anyone else? Native Californians, this question is mainly for you.

I'm a Native Californian. I'd never heard it called "Cali" till I moved to Oregon. At first I hated it. Now I'm used to and have adopted the "lingo".

Old 04-20-2014, 02:05 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
To me "Cali" is what you see on a T-shirt in a tourist store on Hollywood Boulevard, next to generic T-shirts that say "Hollywood" and T-shirts with the marijuana leaf printed on them. Its that tacky and lame, and yes, I've heard it too from relatives across the country, "I'll bet you can't wait to get back to Cali"....

Old 04-20-2014, 03:06 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Born and raised in SoCal. I keep thinking, do I ever say Cali? I don't think I do, but I can't promise I don't. Does it bother me? Not really. Now, saying "The OC" or "behind the Orange Curtain" kinda bugs me, but then, I say Frisco and I know that gets on NoCal people's nerves. I believe that is a SoCal thing to say though, most people I know born/raised in SoCal call it Frisco. We don't know any of this "City", "Bay Area" junk and many of us don't care.

So, sorry people up in San Francisco, yes, I call it Frisco and probably always will. Do I get points for at least not calling it Cali?

Old 04-20-2014, 01:07 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
California native- not bothered by the shortened version 'Cali'.
We already have other shortened versions for the north and south parts.
Adding an 'i' at the end and dropping the directions making it mean all of the state? Why not.

I'm more annoyed with the labeling put on those who do say 'Cali' by those who dislike it.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post

I'm more annoyed with the labeling put on those who do say 'Cali' by those who dislike it.
What, that they're tools? We're still trying to figure out why they're still doing the pants-on-the-ground thing.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:21 AM

66 posts, read 102,724 times
I dont' believe in suicide as a general rule. But I think if this is something u feel strongly about, you should kill yourself.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyvip View Post
I dont' believe in suicide as a general rule. But I think if this is something u feel strongly about, you should kill yourself.
Strongly? No. We just laugh at those who still do this stuff.
BTW, would you happen to be from "Cali?"

Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
OT: Cali, Colombia was recently voted one of the most dangerous cities to live in the world.
I remember that song "going back to Cali" was popular. I actually thought they meant Cali Colombia until someone "kind of" filled me in and told me that's how Californians call their state.

I have heard NYC being called "the City". I think it's even more stupid than calling CA Cali because it implies it is so important that the other cities don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California