Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
someone "kind of" filled me in and told me that's how Californians call their state.
Much more frequently than not, it's how one can identify one who is not a Californian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
New York State, New Jersey, and CT would all refer to NYC as the City and this is standard . It has nothing to do with my circle of friends. It's why the books, show, and movies Sex in the CITY (New York) is named that. Obviously there is only one CITY that they were referring to when they said the CITY.

You apparently lived closer to DC, so when people said the city they meant DC. Duh. Even DC is an nickname/abbreviation for District of Columbia. As noted, Philadelphia is called Philly while Los Angeles is called LA.

The point is cities and states have nicknames. That's just the way things go.
We have a nickname, The Golden State

Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Native by four generations here.

The only time I have seen anyone make a issue of the term Cali is online forums. It's just a generational term and I think those that protest have to much time on their hands.

Who really cares? Those that want to distinguished themselvelves as natives and wouldn't dare use the term. Small-minded garbage.

It's a casual term used by mostly the young and popularized on television and in songs. You don't hear non natives stating they are going on a business trip to Cali or someone in the legislature discussing "Cali" problems.

Informal talk for informal settings with mainly youths. I have rarely ever heard it in adult settings.

As the other person stated
terms like these have been around for a very long time.

Cali was popular with many youths even native California youth in the late 80's. ( ll cool J, biggie smalls)

Even when I was in high school every native kid said hellla, hecca, bro, etc.. "Cali" was just simply another "cool" term.

Has really nothing to do with being nonnative but more to do with being young and/or immature.

People who try to use their non-usage distinguish themselves as more Californian than others is just as immature.
I can tell, one of those Northern California folks. We never say Cali in Southern California and no one says HELLA down in the Southern part of the State.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM

672 posts, read 810,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I can tell, one of those Northern California folks. We never say Cali in Southern California and no one says HELLA down in the Southern part of the State.
LOL, I'm one county (SB) up from you. However, I was up in the east bay for high school.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:02 PM

672 posts, read 810,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

I have a daughter in high school in the Santa Barbara area and she states that many if not most of the kids say hella but she has never heard them say the others.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
I have a daughter in high school in the Santa Barbara area and she states that many if not most of the kids say hella but she has never heard them say the others.
I went to UCSB and everybody could tell who was from up north and who was from down south. Hella=NorCal.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
LOL, I'm one county (SB) up from you. However, I was up in the east bay for high school.
LOL, We visit SB often and I have yet to head anyone say Hella. Personally I could care less about the Hella thing. I have never figured out how to use it in a sentence anyway. LOL

Cali though is something that gets to me. My thoughts are those that use it seem to be lacking in education. I know that is not the case, just my personal perception and one that I have to live with.

What is interesting is that it would seem when someone has left the state they are also apt to adopt the term. My four sisters live in the Phoenix area. Three of them have mentioned that they were going to be visiting Cali in Facebook postings or text messages.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
^^^It's even worse when ex-California residents make using that word a habit LOL.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:01 PM

33 posts, read 41,584 times
No one in Mass says California when talking about it, its usually cali. Massachusetts is mass, vermont is vermont, maine is maine, rhode island is rhode island and new hampshire is split between hampshire and new hampshire.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchy_Boy View Post
No one in Mass says California when talking about it, its usually cali. Massachusetts is mass, vermont is vermont, maine is maine, rhode island is rhode island and new hampshire is split between hampshire and new hampshire.
It's like Californians saying Massac. It's just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California