Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times

Advertisements

My son and I are hoping to escape the Cleveland area Ohio winters and humid summers by moving to San Diego soon. Those are what will be missed the least,plus the fact that there are very few attractions here,such as go kart tracks,laser tag,paintball,indoor trampoline,indoor skydiving,amusement parks,museums,and zoos,unless you take a long drive[from Nov-June,that drive is in possible crappy/dangerous weather]if any such attractions can even be found. The Cleveland zoo is pathetic!
We would not miss snow/ice,tornado watches/warnings summer outings ruined by the slimeball feeling humidity,and not even being able to pull your underwear down to use the bathroom,if you are not in constant AC,because it's stuck to you!

Autumn is the ONLY nice season here... comfortable/refreshing temps and gloriously dry!

What we would miss here is my city's[Lorain] amazing public library, all the brick and stone homes,green lawns[high summer they turn yellow or brown here too]and summer leaves,Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky,OH,the large lot sizes 50-75' wide.I cannot imagine living where you are able to overhear your neighbor's dinner table or phone conversations in the the summer when windows are open,as I have read in several CA threads!

Would also miss the Polish,Hungarian foods that we have come to love here.Polish sausages,like brats and keilbasa,pierogis,and chicken paprikas...which only a few restaurants here come close to making really good paprikas where you can actually taste the sour cream in the sauce.

All the gardens,flowers,shrubs,flowering trees,and veggie gardens.Fall leaf colors.

We believe SD offers a perfect climate of no extremes[except lack of water]so much to do,15 museums in Balboa Park alone,plus the world famous SD zoo,and the state offers even more bucket list items~ LA,SF,Yosemite,the redwoods,Disneyland and Vegas nearby.

IF for some reason we found that we could not take CA,we would most likely move to either southern OR,or West TX like Lubbock or El Paso,never,ever,ever want summers ruined by HUMIDITY again! Nor severe winters.

So what items has it been/would it be for you?

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-07-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 AM

247 posts, read 525,885 times
We are moving to Palm Springs this year. I will miss motorcycle rides through the deciduous forested Adirondacks, Buffalo wings, and mom & pop Italian restaurants. I will miss the older architecture somewhat (brownstones and spiraling churches). I will NOT miss the humidity, endless winters, "king of pain" defeatist attitudes, and crushing property taxes.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
We are moving to Palm Springs this year. I will miss motorcycle rides through the deciduous forested Adirondacks, Buffalo wings, and mom & pop Italian restaurants. I will miss the older architecture somewhat (brownstones and spiraling churches). I will NOT miss the humidity, endless winters, "king of pain" defeatist attitudes, and crushing property taxes.
Wow,guess you and I are the only ones who will admit that there 'are' some things we would/did miss,lol!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-17-2014 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Lets see. I left Minnesota about 48 years ago. Guess I'm still trying to block it out.

B-52 mosquitoes? Um nope. Don't miss.
Choking humidity in the melting hot 3 month long summers? Nope.
Seven month long freezing cold winters with subzero temps? Nope.
One month long mud season otherwise known as spring? Nope not that either.
One month of gloriously colorful, refreshingly sunny crisp, mostly bug free fall? Sure. Okay that was nice.
Worth staying for the other 11 months? Uh nope.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lets see. I left Minnesota about 48 years ago. Guess I'm still trying to block it out.

B-52 mosquitoes? Um nope. Don't miss.
Choking humidity in the melting hot 3 month long summers? Nope.
Seven month long freezing cold winters with subzero temps? Nope.
One month long mud season otherwise known as spring? Nope not that either.
One month of gloriously colorful, refreshingly sunny crisp, mostly bug free fall? Sure. Okay that was nice.
Worth staying for the other 11 months? Uh nope.
Oh I definitely feel exactly the same about the climate here in Ohio[but we are lucky if we get a month long fall, many years it,isn't that long!],lousy climate and having very few attractions,or not having to drive to~ or be in crappy weather for them are the reason we are planning to move to SD.

The good things I noted are not enough to keep use here,since weather affects every day of one's life,but those good things will be missed.

I'm just curious to what things others do appreciate/enjoy about where they lived/live and if weather is the #1 reason that everyone relocates to CA?

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-17-2014 at 09:57 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 11:26 AM

726 posts, read 1,367,917 times
As a general rule, the fall foliage in California is not as vivid as you find in other states. However, the understory of the redwoods last fall in Humboldt and Del Norte were about as lovely as I've ever seen anywhere.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
If I were ever to move back to California, I would miss much from here on the beautiful forested mountain, here in southwest Oregon.

I wood miss the beautiful forest & many friendly critters who live in it. I wood miss the clean air, cool clean artesian spring water which comes bubbling out of the ground. Miss all the beautiful wildflowers & ferns which pop up out of the ground in Spring. Some are sweet smelling like the wild Lilac, sweet pea, & honey suckle...

I would miss the billions of stars (clouds of stars) in the night sky. I would miss the beauty & life in my basspond. I love observing the pairs of Bald Eagles or Osprey who sometimes nest in the old growth Doug Fir, on the other side of the creek, up the canyon.......I would miss all the chipmunkees, long tail squirrel, cotton tail bunnies, resident fox, lost llama, etc, who play, live, & hunt for food on my place.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
If I moved back I'd miss four distinct seasons all in one place and not harsh, eastern bluebirds and cardinals, a relaxed pace, polite teens who call adults, "sir" and "ma'am" and hold doors for them, unapologetic patriotism, clean air, 6,000 springs, numerous rivers with actual water in them, abounding wildlife, homes without privacy fences, people waving to you with more than one finger, and much, much more.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If I moved back I'd miss four distinct seasons all in one place and not harsh, eastern bluebirds and cardinals, a relaxed pace, polite teens who call adults, "sir" and "ma'am" and hold doors for them, unapologetic patriotism, clean air, 6,000 springs, numerous rivers with actual water in them, abounding wildlife, homes without privacy fences, people waving to you with more than one finger, and much, much more.
Sounds lovely. Makes me wonder why you frequent this site.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
I came to California to drive my BIL's VW beetle. (He was driving the van.) I never went back.

I miss thunderstorms. I miss (a bit) the Chicago urban bustle, and its variety of ethnicities. (SoCal has some variety, but not as much as Chicago.) And I miss decent public transportation.

I don't miss winter. Not one little bit. If I want snow, I can drive an hour eastward to the SoCal mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California