Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you left California for somewhere more affordable, what would be the best alternative? Where woul
Austin 15 16.67%
Denver 15 16.67%
Dallas-Fort Worth 5 5.56%
Phoenix 9 10.00%
Seattle 13 14.44%
Portland 11 12.22%
Other (please specify) 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 AM

112 posts, read 120,085 times

Advertisements

The Midwest is a lot like the South...experience with both.

I should amend...unless you mean Chicago or Minneapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
We wouldn't be caught dead in any of these cities you listed. Absolutely no interest in moving to Texas, Colorado, or Arizona. No interest in Oregon or Washington state. That region of the country feels too remote and we wouldn't like the weather. We don't have any roots in any of these places. No interest in the South or states like Idaho, Utah, Montana, New Mexico, or any red state. The bay area is the only part of CA that we're interested in, and our interest in it is shrinking to a preference for certain parts of the bay, such as Berkeley, Lamorinda.

If we had to leave, we'd likely move to either to the Midwest or the Northeast, where we have family, close friends, and more in common with the culture. With our money, we'd be able to live more comfortably than we do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Thanks for your clarifications and kind words. But wait. You mean to tell us you just spent your childhood up to 10th grade in Seattle? And performed market analysis and purchased that home before you were 15? Or did you simply inherit your parents' house - perhaps in a split with siblings?

You feel the first hand real estate investing and economics knowledge of a 15 year old - maybe what, 20 years ago?- is more noteworthy than the observations of a Seattle and Puget Sound small real estate investor and developer who used to also live in California?

OK then, back to the same point I entered this topic with - if someone wants to move to the NW because it holds appeal to them on many levels, great. Terrific place if you can handle the weather. But if you are thinking of ripping up stakes to save money over California, forget it. Head for flyover country instead.

Roger. Wilco. Over and out on that.

As to your kind embrace of my right to same sex marriage, that's awful gracious of you. I appreciate it really. Though I suspect I may never take advantage. Never having been homophobic I do indeed have a number of gay and lesbian close friends. They refer to me as "HH" - "hopelessly heterosexual". But I suppose there's always the possibility that I may yet discover the pleasures of being a connoisseur of all varieties of flesh.
Oh, back to your imaginary friend who is now a well-to-do real estate developer, who you are simply helping move boats for (yet apparently not rich enough to hire someone who could do it in half the time for him so he bums free help from his always willing to help buddy), who is magically always sitting next to you as you idly chat away on City-Data following people like myself around? No wonder it's taking nearly 2 months to move his boats. You guys spend too much time on City-Data! Get back to work man!

No one in this thread ever mentioned moving to Seattle to "save money", that's yet another argument you invented so you could talk to yourself, again.

Seriously, stop following me. I'm not interested in the bi-curious musing of some bored geriatric.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Oh, back to your imaginary friend who is now a well-to-do real estate developer, who you are simply helping move boats for (yet apparently not rich enough to hire someone who could do it in half the time for him so he bums free help from his always willing to help buddy), who is magically always sitting next to you as you idly chat away on City-Data following people like myself around? No wonder it's taking nearly 2 months to move his boats. You guys spend too much time on City-Data! Get back to work man!

No one in this thread ever mentioned moving to Seattle to "save money", that's yet another argument you invented so you could talk to yourself, again.

Seriously, stop following me. I'm not interested in the bi-curious musing of some bored geriatric.
You are too fun to ignore. But suspicion of being followed is a sign of a personality disorder you should look into.

My friend isn't sitting next to me much at all. Why would he hire help? We are now both retired and doing this for fun. Working on boats is what boaters do. We aren't just moving the boat, we are removing and installing a new engine, rebuilding the rudder, painting the bottom, building an entire new cabin and aft deck on a liveaboard. Sport, this guy and I did two combat tours together in cooperating rescue squadrons. I visited him in Oakland naval hospital for five months when we got home from overseas and I was stationed in Alameda. You should consider yourself very lucky to ever have a friendship so deep and enduring.

Now then, as to your comment: "No one in this thread ever mentioned moving to Seattle to "save money", that's yet another argument you invented so you could talk to yourself, again. ". Uh, go back and read the OP. And then read your first comment in the thread following. Here, I'll post those for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD7 View Post
For all the Californians on this forum --- if you were to leave California, where would you go and why?

The lifestyle California offers is hard to beat (weather, natural beauty, outdoors, active lifestyle, entertainment options, great cities, destinations)...but it comes at a high price. If you were to move somewhere cheaper, where would it be?

I've listed several places that seem to draw a lot of Californians each year.... just curious to put this to a poll and see what the favorites would be and why. Would love your comments!
Quote:
Portland and Seattle are very "SF Bay Area" like according to friends who have made the move there (after being priced out of San Francisco).

I don't think any of the cities on your list replicate Los Angeles or OC.
And "Bi-curious"? There you go again. I should be so flexible!

But bottom line, on topic again, of course, you were a kid in Seattle. Somehow now claiming expertise in the area's economics. Speaking of "curious".

Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Yes for home prices, which I was talking about (not income tax, property tax, gas prices, corn prices, or any of the other geriatric gibberish you brought up), one would move to Seattle based on housing affordability. You know, usually the single biggest expense someone has in their life?

Seattle Median Home List Price: $480K
San Francisco Median Home List Price: $849K

But since you seem so fixated on all the "other COL" items between the two cities which I never mentioned or talked about, let's finally address those issues so you can finally realize how wrong you are.

As of April 2014:
Consumer Prices in San Francisco, CA are 2.47% higher than in Seattle, WA
Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Francisco, CA are 28.91% higher than in Seattle, WA
Rent Prices in San Francisco, CA are 75.70% higher than in Seattle, WA
Restaurant Prices in San Francisco, CA are 6.64% higher than in Seattle, WA
Groceries Prices in San Francisco, CA are 9.01% higher than in Seattle, WA
Local Purchasing Power in San Francisco, CA is 12.71% lower than in Seattle, WA

You would need around 6,187.68$ in San Francisco, CA to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 4,800.00$ in Seattle, WA (assuming you rent in both cities).

You want to embarrass yourself more and continue this myth that Seattle COL is somehow almost the same as San Francisco?

Maybe you can peel your imaginary Navy SEAL buddy away from his apparently not very well maintained boats so he can chime in since he's such an expert.

Last edited by ExeterMedia; 04-16-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Yes for home prices, which I was talking about (not income tax, property tax, gas prices, corn prices, or any of the other geriatric gibberish you brought up), one would move to Seattle based on housing affordability. You know, usually the single biggest expense someone has in their life?

Seattle Median Home List Price: $480K
San Francisco Median Home List Price: $849K

But since you seem so fixated on all the "other COL" items between the two cities which I never mentioned or talked about, let's finally address those issues so you can finally realize how wrong you are.

As of April 2014:
Consumer Prices in San Francisco, CA are 2.47% higher than in Seattle, WA
Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Francisco, CA are 28.91% higher than in Seattle, WA
Rent Prices in San Francisco, CA are 75.70% higher than in Seattle, WA
Restaurant Prices in San Francisco, CA are 6.64% higher than in Seattle, WA
Groceries Prices in San Francisco, CA are 9.01% higher than in Seattle, WA
Local Purchasing Power in San Francisco, CA is 12.71% lower than in Seattle, WA

You would need around 6,187.68$ in San Francisco, CA to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 4,800.00$ in Seattle, WA (assuming you rent in both cities).

You want to embarrass yourself more and continue this myth that Seattle COL is somehow almost the same as San Francisco?

Maybe you can peel your imaginary Navy SEAL buddy away from his apparently not very well maintained boats so he can chime in since he's such an expert.
Nice work Exeter! Almost on topic too. Except for the nasty personal stuff you are fixated on. tsk tsk.

EXCEPT this thread isn't about the difference in COL between SF and Seattle. It's about leaving CALIFORNIA to find a place with lower COL. You brought up Seattle - and SF. I merely commented that Seattle is no real savings over California. And it's not.

Now go check the median real estate prices for California. Check for L.A. and other even coastal communities. Some are higher than Seattle and some are lower. As I stated: Seattle real estaqte is no bargain compared to California. That ship has sailed.

Speaking of ships, we are about ready to swing the new diesel on board so I'll have to go for now. Catch you later no doubt. Meanwhile, check the premise of the thread: California. SF is not California. Even in California SF is an anomaly. As are certain areas around Seattle that have higher medians than the city.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
EXCEPT this thread isn't about the difference in COL between SF and Seattle.

You brought up Seattle - and SF. I merely commented that Seattle is no real savings over California. And it's not.

check the premise of the thread: California. SF is not California. Even in California SF is an anomaly. As are certain areas around Seattle that have higher medians than the city.
You know everything we post is here for everyone to see. Not only are you wrong, but you are very, very dishonest. Shameful.

Quote:
if you're thinking of Seattle to beat the cost of SF you better hurry.
You were the one to bring up the SF vs Seattle COL question, and it looks like you were completely wrong on your claim, the COL between the two cities is vast, and will likely remain that way for a long time. Now you're trying to dishonestly claim that you never mentioned SF vs Seattle at all (probably because I completely destroyed your original premise). Keep on sliding and dancing Tulemutt. I'll be here to make sure you get called out for being wrong, over and over, though I am sure you are probably used to that based on your behavior.

Last edited by ExeterMedia; 04-16-2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 12:12 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
The choices would seem to be limited to large cities outside of California. If so, and forced to select one, Boise, Idaho would be it. Lots to like and many positives for Idaho's capitol. About 2/3 million in the Boise MSA, while small compared to LA, SD, or SF MSA's, still qualifies to be designated a big city. Actually, too large for many wishing to escape the problems of California's population centers and relocate to a much smaller place in another state.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:47 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
The choices would seem to be limited to large cities outside of California. If so, and forced to select one, Boise, Idaho would be it. Lots to like and many positives for Idaho's capitol. About 2/3 million in the Boise MSA, while small compared to LA, SD, or SF MSA's, still qualifies to be designated a big city. Actually, too large for many wishing to escape the problems of California's population centers and relocate to a much smaller place in another state.
I've considered Mountain Home and Grand View, as I think living on the Snake River would be nice. Also in the running is Prescott/Prescott Valley, which at 5000' elevation is about 20° cooler in the summer than Phoenix. There's a lot to be said for St George, Utah as well. Wherever we move it must have infrastructure that we're used to here in LA.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
You know everything we post is here for everyone to see. Not only are you wrong, but you are very, very dishonest. Shameful.

You were the one to bring up the SF vs Seattle COL question, and it looks like you were completely wrong on your claim, the COL between the two cities is vast, and will likely remain that way for a long time. Now you're trying to dishonestly claim that you never mentioned SF vs Seattle at all (probably because I completely destroyed your original premise). Keep on sliding and dancing Tulemutt. I'll be here to make sure you get called out for being wrong, over and over, though I am sure you are probably used to that based on your behavior.
Gee whizikers Exeter, you little badger you Except you forgot to think about what I wrote that you quoted there. I wrote: "If you're thinking of Seattle to beat the cost of SF you'd better hurry." Now, what does that mean? Some might think it means that Seattle isn't as expensive as SF - yet. But it's catching up with a quickness. And they'd be right!

Quick recap: thread is asking posters to comment on where they'd think of going to beat the cost of CALIFORNIA.
You suggest Seattle to beat San Francisco.
I point out Seattle is nipping at SF's COL heels and leaving California for the NW to save money is folly.
You come back with an unlinked report about how much more expensive SF is than Seattle.

Taking it from there (I'll give the readers a pass on all your personal obsessions with me), I entered your data and found the website you quoted but didn't link. Maybe you didn't link because the bar chart at the bottom of the comparison page showed Seattle nearly as high in COL as SF? I'll leave it for you to link in response.

You also fail to acknowledge the difference in salaries between the two cities, on average about 10%, which further illuminates the diminishing difference. While your list's other factors, such as groceries and restaurant tabs gets even sillier. 6% difference in a restaurant meal as an advantage? And does it occur to you to contemplate that higher incomes in SF might result in upscale shopping for groceries, thereby bumping the average - because that's what highly paid people are willing to do with their extra money: buy premium products at premium outlets?

I repeat one more time: leaving California for Seattle to find a lower COL is folly. And leaving SF for Seattle is a rapidly closing window. The rents and real estate are still cheaper in areas, but busting higher fast with a manic attitude. When the recession hit I asked my friend if he was worried about losing value on his Queen Anne multiplex units. He laughed. He pointed out that we could see Google's and Adobe's Seattle offices among other tech right across the ship canal from his place, walking distance. He also tells me that the adjacent Lake Union area to his place is exploding as a national bio-tech hub. All walking distance, and connected by parks and bike trails.

Here's some fun reading for you:
Quote:
Battle Of The Tech Paycheck: San Francisco vs. Seattle
Battle Of The Tech Paycheck: San Francisco vs. Seattle | Glassdoor Blog
Quote:
Tech workers squeezing out renters in San Francisco, Seattle
Low- and middle-income residents of San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle and other metro areas, are getting pushed out of their homes as an influx of deep pocketed tech workers drive up rents.
Tech workers squeezing out renters in San Francisco, Seattle, - Feb. 6, 2014

Old 04-17-2014, 08:53 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
San Diego, CA is 3.3% more expensive to live in than Seattle, WA.[hardly cheaper at all,certainly not worth that crappy climate!]

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 07:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California