Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

Did you learn deductive reasoning in school? Bet you did.

My town is in California.

I hate my town.

Therefore, all towns in California are towns I would hate.

I suggest you do what I did. I went to visit friends in WA state straight out of high school, and ended up staying there a very long time. Guess what? I hate snow. But, hey, maybe you'll like it. I couldn't wait to get back.

This country, and the world are big places. So, look for places where you can get work and check it out. See if you actually like rain, snow, clouds, humidity, whatever. It was fun for me for maybe one year. But it took me about 20 years to get back. You will never get me away from a sunny place in lovely, dry California EVER again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 07:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post

Being so young is wonderful :-)
Apparently not so much if you live in the CV. To say nothing of the usual youthful angst.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,943 times
I would suggest you consider enlisting in the military. It would provide an income, teach you a transferable skill, give you structure and independence, an opportunity to see different parts of the country or of the world, associate with people from different parts of the country, chance to save money for college, and time to figure out what you want to do.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:51 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,347 times
I would also suggest joining the military. Lots of opportunity to see all kinds of cool places and maybe find your dream place. If you're willing to travel lots you could also consider becoming a long distance trucker which is a great way to see new places throughout the country.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:59 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Military has a minimum height limit.

For instance, a real gnarly little dude maybe about 4 foot nothing who posts a couple times and then disappears wouldn't be able to get in.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:28 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,311 times
A couple of the posts on this thread are a bit unkind. I took the OP's post as a teenager venting about his/her current situation and wondering about his/her future. Haven't a lot of us been there?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
A couple of the posts on this thread are a bit unkind. I took the OP's post as a teenager venting about his/her current situation and wondering about his/her future. Haven't a lot of us been there?
Is this the Dr. Phil forum for the frustrated to vent in? There are innumerable comment sections splattered about the interwebs for the kids.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:08 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
1. Economy down the toilet(yes getting better but is beyond repair, pretty much)
2. Highest unemployment in the US
3. Rising crime
4. Rising gang activity
5. Explosion of foreclosures(especially where I live)
6. 1 season(summer)
7. Awful politics
8. Awful governor
9. Horrid air quality
10. Rising debt
11. Illegal immigration on the rise
12. TAXES!!!
A list written out by a 15-year-old turning 40 this year. Because all high schoolers are so laser focused on every hot-button issue regularly appearing in every chicken-little thread on this forum. Yep. Simply no time for social media like Instagram and Twitter. Just time to join into debates on a national geographics, economics, social and political issues website oriented toward 30-somethings and older.

Yep.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
If the most conservative part of California is "too liberal," then you'd better look for a REALLY conservative state. I'd suggest Utah or Oklahoma.
Well, the economy in Oklahoma is doing well, though the pay scale in non oil tech is lower. But so is the cost of living. If you don't want a mansion, housing is also reasonable.

Lets just see we have variety in our weather. Though winter really fought hard to hang on this year. Summer is hot and a bit more humid, but not unlike most of California. We usually don't get so much below freezing in the winter, and how much winter and snow and all depends on where you live. I live in the north central area.

Culturally its very different, but I find I LIKE the people here. And once you get used to the sense of time, 'soon' having an entirely different meaning here, more like eventually some day, you'll never want to rush around again. And there's LOTS of open space and trees.

The government is still insane, just in different ways. See discussion about the monuments on the state capital lawn last year. I'm not sure conservative is the right word sometimes, any sense of logic lacking.

I was sold when I came to visit my friend and we had clear blue skies with no grey smelly goop covering them up (I lived in the IE, worse area in the country).

But seriously, the op might like it. Come for a visit and check it out.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm not sure conservative is the right word sometimes, any sense of logic lacking.
All that is said to be "conservative" has been taken over by the far right, so yes, any sense of logic lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California