Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 26,339 times

Advertisements

Which city or town in California has housing affordable with my limited Social Security income? I have never been to CA so I'm not familiar with any part of that state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 26,339 times
I make $900 per month.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
I hear the state of Nevada is affordable.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
There are apartments in Sacramento for around $600, they look ok from the outside and there aren't thugs hanging around the parking lot, but after utilities that would leave you with almost nothing. Same with Northern Nevada, you might get an apartment for $600 or a little less, but what do you live on after you pay rent? I would look for an area where you might get on a list for a section 8 housing voucher.

Where are you now and how are you paying rent in your current location? If you have family or friends you might do well to try to rent a room from them.

The only other thing I can think of is check with organizations in your area which help find housing for the disabled.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:12 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersozay View Post
I make $900 per month.
I also make $900/month SSI. I'm in subsidized senior housing, which is based on your income. The nicest towns I know of that have affordable subsidized housing would be the Redding area (very pretty, lots of shopping, recreation, medical facilities - and very very hot in summer, which is long).

I am now in Crescent City, CA, which is also very affordable, with several subsidized housing complexes for both seniors and families. Disabled individuals also qualify for the family places, if you're not a senior.

I've found the senior subsidized buildings to be really nice - in both Redding and Crescent City, where I've lived in them.

Google "housing authority" and different cities - Redding, Anderson, Red Bluff (all in the Central Valley and pretty hot) Crescent City (cool year round and cloudier and rainier, though).

The Section 8 list is open in Crescent City still, I think. I think it's also open for Tehama County (Red Bluff).

Another affordable area is Fresno, and their Section 8 might still be open. Also, you could check out Stockton.

I loved Redding, except for the heat. Great shopping, really pretty, lots of recreation. I prefer the weather in Crescent City, but miss the shopping. There's a Walmart here, but I miss all the big box stores and craft stores like Michaels and JoAnn Fabrics.

Anyway, it's do-able. Research the affordable housing lists and get on waiting lists. My experience is that in the places I mentioned, the waiting lists are only about 6 months long, some even shorter. Also get on the Section 8 lists. I finally got my Section 8 voucher, and my rent in a very tiny studio, is now only $197. When I moved in, though, it was still only $335.

Also, I think the state-subsidized medical is good here, it's called Medi-Cal.

Good luck.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:30 PM

200 posts, read 454,127 times
Have to agree with Snow for affordability ( and Heat ) in Redding. You didn't mention your age, but If you are looking for senior housing in Redding, Mountain Vistas on Hilltop Drive ( for a 1 bedroom 570 sq ft apt ) would probably be your best bet for both affordable and safe housing with rent at 30% of your income so your rent would be $270 per month if you are 62 or older. Pilgrim House is another safe and affordable residence, but anything towards the center of town I would try to stay away from.

Last edited by DaleK; 04-06-2015 at 11:39 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 10:52 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,041,770 times
Quote:
Which city or town in California has housing affordable with my limited Social Security income? I have never been to CA so I'm not familiar with any part of that state.
I'm just curious. Much of CA is very expensive. Since you say you know nothing about CA, why would you pick this state of all places? It doesn't seem like the best decision to me.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:02 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm just curious. Much of CA is very expensive. Since you say you know nothing about CA, why would you pick this state of all places? It doesn't seem like the best decision to me.
This. Also, OP, how would you pay for your move? Moves are expensive.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:05 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleK View Post
Have to agree with Snow for affordability ( and Heat ) in Redding. You didn't mention your age, but If you are looking for senior housing in Redding, Mountain Vistas on Hilltop Drive ( for a 1 bedroom 570 sq ft apt ) would probably be your best bet for both affordable and safe housing with rent at 30% of your income so your rent would be $270 per month if you are 62 or older. Pilgrim House is another safe and affordable residence, but anything towards the center of town I would try to stay away from.
A really nice 55+ low income community is Seasons at Anderson, in Anderson, CA. REALLY nice place. I got on their waiting list, but moved to Crescent City before they called me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Hey, everyone wants to move to CA.

And there are very affordable areas in CA. Up here on the coast, you can get a one-bedroom apt, even at market rent for $600, even less. Even Eureka has apartments in that price range.

The entire state isn't priced like SF or Beverly Hills. And if someone doesn't need to be in a hot job market, they can take advantage of the lower COL areas.

It's gorgeous where I live now. Not a lot of jobs. But beautiful and cheap. And there's no drought up here.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:29 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
Quote:
I make $900 per month.

And you want to move to California? The most expensive, crowded, drought thirsty state?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California