Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,586 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are seriously contemplating moving to California in the next year (or under). The main reason we are moving from our home is for his health. He has problems breathing in heavy humidity and we were told that California isn't that humid.

Another source I was reading about possible places to go said Redding California? Then another said to live close to the ocean because the winds coming in help keep the air clean.

I suppose my question is; where would be the best place to move (in California) that meets the requirements of clean air and low humidity? Is there even a place? Should I be looking for a job before the moving process starts? I've never moved anywhere before so I am completely lost as to what I should do.

- Thank you and any help or advice about what to expect if we move would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 12:42 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn94 View Post
My boyfriend and I are seriously contemplating moving to California in the next year (or under). The main reason we are moving from our home is for his health. He has problems breathing in heavy humidity and we were told that California isn't that humid.

Another source I was reading about possible places to go said Redding California? Then another said to live close to the ocean because the winds coming in help keep the air clean.

I suppose my question is; where would be the best place to move (in California) that meets the requirements of clean air and low humidity? Is there even a place? Should I be looking for a job before the moving process starts? I've never moved anywhere before so I am completely lost as to what I should do.

- Thank you and any help or advice about what to expect if we move would be awesome.
There are not many jobs in Redding. What type of work do you do? Where are you moving from? Have you considered dry arid places like Arizona?

I would not consider moving to CA unless you had a ton of money saved or you have good paying job lined up. There are lots of very nice places in CA to live but you will need a decent income. It is expensive to move here. Things that you might not expect to be costly will be your vehicle registration. Depends on how new your car is as to how much they charge you. It cost me over 900$ to register my out of state car here.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Allergies vary by individual...

There are many low humidity areas in the West... parts of California, Nevada and Arizona come to mind.

A nurse I work with has a young son that was plagued by seasonal allergies that lasted most of the year... weekly shots to keep it in check... they lived in the SF Bay Area.

A couple of years ago, she accepted a job transfer to Hawaii and within days her sons allergies were gone... he's been totally off meds and doing well and started playing sports and learned to surf...

Sometimes a move can do wonders...

Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 AM

I'm setting myself up for a job in the Law Enforcement field but at the time of moving I would be looking for any kind of job that I can get. Larry, (my bf) does construction work and has been for a few decades. So I could only assume that with his experience it would be easier for him to find a job in that field or one similar especially with the references he can bring to the table from other large companies.

We both have old cars. He has a 2000 dodge truck and I have an '03 Mustang. Before we moved at least one of us would have a job lined up and 10k in our pockets for the expenses to get there and a little extra for 'fall back' cash.

The more I looked into CA the more I thought about San Diego instead of Redding. Not inside inside the limits kind of out in the outskirts but close enough for a commute. We would be going through a company that deals with foreclosures and purchase a house through them.

I think Arizona and Nevada would be too dusty so I was looking for a middle ground and the only place I could come up with is CA. If you have other suggestions I am open to them. My main concern is his health the doctor has told him that he needs to get away from extremely high Humidity before any serious damage is done.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Las Vegas. Dry dry dry. Not dusty in the city. Cheap rentals.

Yes, CA has dry ares, but the tradeoff is air pollution.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:19 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:

People who have trouble breathing in humid environments usually move to New Mexico or Arizona. Redding could also work, being away from the ocean or bay environment. What line of work are you in? That will narrow down your options. You could try the Tahoe area or Tehachapi, as well, if you don't mind a smaller town environment.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:22 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
I'm setting myself up for a job in the Law Enforcement field but at the time of moving I would be looking for any kind of job that I can get. Larry, (my bf) does construction work and has been for a few decades. So I could only assume that with his experience it would be easier for him to find a job in that field or one similar especially with the references he can bring to the table from other large companies.

We both have old cars. He has a 2000 dodge truck and I have an '03 Mustang. Before we moved at least one of us would have a job lined up and 10k in our pockets for the expenses to get there and a little extra for 'fall back' cash.

The more I looked into CA the more I thought about San Diego instead of Redding. Not inside inside the limits kind of out in the outskirts but close enough for a commute. We would be going through a company that deals with foreclosures and purchase a house through them.

I think Arizona and Nevada would be too dusty so I was looking for a middle ground and the only place I could come up with is CA. If you have other suggestions I am open to them. My main concern is his health the doctor has told him that he needs to get away from extremely high Humidity before any serious damage is done.
You would be buying a house in a place you've never been? I think you need to work on your story. I mean plan.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You would be buying a house in a place you've never been? I think you need to work on your story. I mean plan.
Well, actually it's more of a rent with the option to change to rent to own. Rent it for one year and if we like the environment then we would sign on with the option of actually buying it. That would go for any place we decide to move. I know it sounds like a knee jerk plan and probably really stupid but we would not be the first people in the history of man kind to go somewhere we have never been and stay.

My question wasn't about whether my plan was the most well thought out one in the history of people moving. It was on where would be best to move.

I do appreciate your concern.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:17 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Your questions are perfectly good in themselves. Of course, here on this forum, discussion of them will devolve into parsing your sanity, examining the political conflicts within the state legislature, angst over the searing question of the ages: whether it is acceptable to refer to the state as "Cali" (I know YOU didn't, but SOMEONE will sooner or later and all hell will break loose), whether breed-specific restrictions on dog ownership should be allowed in incorporated areas, how your moving here still won't resolve the problem of unfunded pension obligations, -- and, of course, the nature of Buddhism and the true meaning of life.

Welcome to California.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Quote:
where would be the best place to move (in California) that meets the requirements of clean air and low humidity?
Most of the dry ares are away from the coast. But many are in valleys, which collect air pollution.

California Air Quality Index City Rank---worst at top. You can alsp see ranking on map.

California Air Quality Index City Rank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California