Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could alter California's climate to get summer rain, would you do so?
Keep the summers bone dry (outside the higher elevations) 2 10.53%
Add a few rain events each month in the summer months 17 89.47%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times

Advertisements

If you had the magic powers to alter California's climate so we kept the average temperatures the same throughout year round but added a few days of rain each month in summer at low elevation locations (winter precip would stay the same), would you do it? The summer rain would be warm and brief (but heavy) with the sun coming out after the rain so it would be different from the cool drizzly variety we see in winter.

Please vote in my poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:38 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Yes, I love warm, tropical summer monsoons. And it prevents wildfires.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Move to Hawaii to get your summer rains, or Tennessee, or Mexico - . I like CA the way it is, thanks :-)

And I didn't answer your poll because it reminded me of the ones Bush used to run.

If you could save people from wildfires would you change California weather?

So, if I vote no, that means I don't care about people's homes burning down?

Your poll is skewed to get the results you want, just like Bush's were. Not a good poll, IMO.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 AM

^^lol Hawaii actually gets most rain in winter-but it is still a warm rain. And some of Mexico gets winter rain patterns just like California, some doesn't really even get rain. Your post seems ignorant. Just 2 decades ago, California got more rain than we do today. If you want the "real California" weather, then you should have voted for more rain.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
No. The climate is what it is here. If you want summer rain move north or east.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Yes I vote for rain in the summer...what's wrong with a rain storm once in awhile spread out all year round?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
^^lol Hawaii actually gets most rain in winter-but it is still a warm rain. And some of Mexico gets winter rain patterns just like California, some doesn't really even get rain. Your post seems ignorant. Just 2 decades ago, California got more rain than we do today. If you want the "real California" weather, then you should have voted for more rain.
I've never lived in Hawaii, but didn't an earlier post by you go on about summer rains? No wait, you said you love warm tropical summer monsoons. Gack! Keep your tropical monsoons away from me!

At any rate, I have lived in Mexico and Tennessee where you get quick summer thunderstorms. Everyone has to quickly get out of the swimming pools, then the rains come and the clouds go away, and everything is freshly wet and......the humidity that was already bad....soars to new heights.

Ignorant on Hawaii weather - yes. Ignorant on Tennessee and Mexico weather, no. Been there, done that. Summer rain = humidity. I'm all for keeping that out of my beloved dry California.

And truly, I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who plunk their homes in the middle of a fire hazard and then whine about wild fires. Or people who build on hillsides that slide into the ocean every other year and cry for disaster aid money.

If you don't want to worry about your home burning down in a wildfire - don't live where wildfires happen.

There's a story about when the 1906 earthquake hit California, and the Native Americans watched the silly white people rebuild on top of the disaster zone. They thought it was nuts.

If you don't like the dry California weather - there are many other places to live on the planet. Go with my blessing .

Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,471 times
How about option #3?

- People actually maintain their yards and properties so dry brush doesn't grow out of control in the foothills, or people not light camp fires, or cigarettes, in the middle of dry dead brush just so they can see their friends while they smoke weed and listen to Paramore under the clear night skies.

A lot of these wild fires aren't started by mother nature, just idiots not using their brains, like the moron who left a torch sitting around on dry lumber on the I-15 bridge in Rancho Cucamonga.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 PM

Wow some of these posts are downright insensitive and ignorant. Nobody deserves to have their home destroyed. This reeks of the jealousy y'all have because people can actually afford homes in places like Malibu (regarding the mudslides comment).

The issue is that everywhere in SoCal is so dry and fire prone. So are you saying everyone should leave Southern California? Heck, even NorCal is dry as hell.

And maintaining yards? We are in a drought and using up water to water grass is not only bad for the environment, but you get fined for using too much.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:26 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Wow some of these posts are downright insensitive and ignorant. Nobody deserves to have their home destroyed. This reeks of the jealousy y'all have because people can actually afford homes in places like Malibu (regarding the mudslides comment).

The issue is that everywhere in SoCal is so dry and fire prone. So are you saying everyone should leave Southern California? Heck, even NorCal is dry as hell.

And maintaining yards? We are in a drought and using up water to water grass is not only bad for the environment, but you get fined for using too much.
Yeah SoCal is dry, but not all of these fires are started magically out of the blue. The huge Santiago Fire in OC, the WitchCreek fire in San Diego, and the Harris fire were all started by HUMAN BEINGS acting like morons or making preventable mistakes. One was started because a semi-truck over turned, Witchcreek was started by a 10 year old boy playing with matches in dry brush, and another was started by outright arson, and the suspect was killed by police. Together, all those fires caused over 500,000 acres of damage from fire and burned for over 2 weeks.

The recent I-15 bridge fire that just cost California tax payers about $10,000,000? Another idiot who left a portable gas torch lying around on dry wood! You going to claim that wasn't preventable?

Seriously, get educated about why fires start and stop with the knee jerk, cry baby attitude. No one is jealous or bitter about your wonderful life in the luxurious area of "OceanSide", we just want people to use their brains.

As for "we are in a dought we don't want to use water", what does that have to do with my point?

Huge dry brush fires don't start because someone's suburban lawn gets on fire, think for a second. They start because people let the brush grow for 10 years without maintenance, and the dead brush piles up making a very potent kindling that a single match can set ablaze, just like the Witch Creek fire in San Diego. The city and its citizens cannot let things like that happen, a little bit of foresight, such as cleaning it up once in a while, could prevent huge fires that end up burning dozens of homes and hundreds of thousands of acres of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California