Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:05 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,319 times

Advertisements

If you can, as suggested, take Metrolink commutter train to Union Station, you can take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner to Santa Barbara and back then take Metrolink back to Lancaster. If you take the early trains you can do thos trip same day with a few hours in Santa Barbara. There isn't that much to see there so it can be enough time.

While both Metrolink and Amtrak serve the Burbank Airport station. That station is somewhat isolated and a bit creepy. Not so much for a local, but thete is NOTHING in that area, so I would rather tourists continue to at least Glendale that has a real station building and served by both Amtrak Pac Surf (not the Coast Starlight that also serves Santa Barbara) and Metrolink (not the Express to Antelope Valley), but going all the to Union Station is probably best.

Go to www-dot-metrolinktrains-dot-com
For commuter rail service in Antelope Valley.

Also, go to Amtrak and gather info for Pacific Surfliner LA-Santa Barbara and the Coast Starlight train may also provide an option, but I would Pac Surf rather than Starlight. Pac Surfs are more likely on time.

Last edited by HarryKerryJr; 05-27-2014 at 01:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 04:55 PM

60 posts, read 305,882 times
All good suggestions above. One I'd like to add is for you to take a walk along the aquaduct if you like hiking/walking. Park on 60th Street West/Godde Hill just south of Avenue N. You can walk for miles along the aquaduct, you will not be trespassing as people tend to think. The road along the aquaduct is open to the public. It gets breezy up there in the afternoon. Bring water, sunscreen and a hat ..... the views of the AV are terrific.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:49 PM

29 posts, read 39,070 times
Thanks for more recommendations everyone!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:59 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Yeah, I like the Sequoia idea. Also, a trip to Tehachapi would be nice. Be sure to spend some time at "the loop". Down the hill on the other side and up to Lake Isabella would be a nice day trip.

On the temperature, it isn't really that hot yet. This time of year, the temps will top out at around 90-95, but could be lower, probably not much higher. The mornings until 11 or noon are wonderful for doing stuff outside. Then, after about five or so is really nice. Remember, the humidity of the Antelope Valley is pretty low, so a 90 degree temperature doesn't feel as hot at 90 degrees on the east coast. It's that time of year when I can cycle (bicycle) any time of day, (as long as I have enough water with me).

Old 06-03-2014, 02:33 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Look up the local astronomy clubs and arrange for some stargazing. Rosamond has some dark skies!

Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 PM

29 posts, read 39,070 times
So the Santa Monica beach bus only goes Tues, Thus and Sat, so I wasn't able to use that, my free day was Friday. I took the MetroLink from Lancaster to Glendale and then a bus to the Farmers Market/Grove in Hollywood. $26 and 6 hours round trip, but got a nice tour of Hollywood Blvd from the bus. Walked around main street and went to the farmers market in Lancaster which was small but had good produce, and so cheap! Did a tour of NASA and the Air Force Museum with my friend who works there. And finally drove to Ventura for beach time before heading home. Not the greatest vacation ever, but not the worst either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California