Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:31 PM

132 posts, read 230,767 times

Advertisements

Although I love the Portland areas, I am looking forward to an adventure with this move to California. Since I love scenery I am sure I am going to enjoy central coast. I am just happy I am not going father south! I just hope I don't get taxed to death. There is no sales tax in Oregon, so I love that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 04:09 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times
Check out Arroyo Grande or Nipomo. Both have excellent weather, good schools and are very safe. I believe they are quite affordable.Atascadero is more of a rural town up the grade from SLO. I would probably not live in Santa Maria as it has most of the crime and icky things you don't want. Also, it is in Santa Barbara County.

As to the climate, you will be shocked at lack of humidity little rainfall and mostly sunny days. Being from Portland you will wonder what that big yellow orb in the sky is everyday. Also, no snow or very cold temperatures. If you get inland east of HWY 101 then fog is a rarity as well. I personally love SLO town but, yes, it can be pricey. Avoid the HWY 1 valley that links SLO to Morro Bay as it can be windy. That said, Morro and Los Osos tends to the foggy side,,but temperatures are mild. The whole Central Coast area is shorts year-round.

There is so much more that cna be said about home prices, micro-climates and schools. However, I believe it has been done to death on this Forum and you can easily search the other threads. So come visit and have a wonderful time finding your new adventure spots!!

Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM

82 posts, read 132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I would probably not live in Santa Maria as it has most of the crime and icky things you don't want.
dont wear blue or red.
google: santa maria norteno sureno

if you are cholo, you will like it in SM. resourceful place for your 'startup'

Old 05-22-2014, 11:47 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Perhaps look at some of the properties around the lake (Lake Naciemiento). Y'all may find a place you love......

5051 Bluebird Ln, Paso Robles, CA 93446 is For Sale - Zillow

https://www.google.com/#q=Real+Estat...%2C+California

Have a wonderful Adventure...

Old 05-22-2014, 05:41 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,334,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Perhaps look at some of the properties around the lake (Lake Naciemiento). Y'all may find a place you love......

5051 Bluebird Ln, Paso Robles, CA 93446 is For Sale - Zillow

https://www.google.com/#q=Real+Estat...%2C+California

Have a wonderful Adventure...
One heck of a commute to SLO!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
One heck of a commute to SLO!
Where there is the Will, There is a Way......

For an example, many folks bought reasonable priced homes around Los Banos. They commuted to jobs around San Jose.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 13,235 times
Santa Maria isn't as bad as people say. There are lots of nice neighborhoods. Most of the crime in Santa Maria occurs North of Betteravia road, neighborhoods south of Betteravia road are as safe as neighborhoods in SLO. You could also give Orcutt a try, it's a Santa Maria Suburb. Santa Maria has more shopping centers than any other city in Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo Counties, just to let you know. And currently the population of the Santa Maria Area is about 150,000(including Orcutt).

Here are the Demographics, just in case you're wondering:

Orcutt:
White alone - 20,435 (72.7%)
Hispanic - 5,537 (19.7%)
Asian alone - 885 (3.1%)
Two or more races - 653 (2.3%)
Black alone - 355 (1.3%)
American Indian alone - 106 (0.4%)
Other race alone - 114 (0.4%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 24 (0.09%)

Santa Maria:
Hispanic - 68,440 (68.3%)
White alone - 22,467 (22.4%)
Asian alone - 6,721 (6.7%)
Two or more races - 1,176 (1.2%)
American Indian alone - 858 (0.9%)
Black alone - 578 (0.6%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 32 (0.03%)

Old 06-13-2014, 12:19 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyDeshawnJenkins View Post
dont wear blue or red.
google: santa maria norteno sureno

if you are cholo, you will like it in SM. resourceful place for your 'startup'
There are no dangers if you were to wear blue, red or green in Santa Maria!! I have lived here all my life, I have a great quality of life, I have a nice 4 bedroom 2 story home in a very nice neighborhood. I have never been robbed or ever felt unsafe living here.

I think people who have issues with SM have never been robbed or mugged in SM, but criticize it because of the high population of Hispanic immigrants who pick our vegetables that we all eat.

Oh BTW, I am not a cholo and I still like living in SM.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
There are a lot of nice newer areas in Santa Maria. Santa Maria has grown dramatically and is now over 100,000.
It seemed to jump from 85,000 to over 100,000 almost overnight. It even has a higher population than Santa Barbara now. I made a stop there on my way to Carpinteria for gas and a tri-tip sandwich in early 2012. Santa Maria was where tri-tip BBQ was invented and plenty of places there serve it. Then found a nice nearby park for a needed walk. The area of town where I stopped seemed reasonably good. If the area remains affordable I will even consider it for possible retirement. Lompoc is the other one I am considering. Both are not far from the coast. Santa Barbara is an easy day trip from both: 65 miles from Santa Maria; 53 miles from Lompoc. Santa Maria is also close to the Pismo Beach area and San Luis Obispo.

I think a lot of the reasonable cost of living is due to the lack of tourist attractions in town along with a down to earth, less yuppie middle class/working class lifestyle compared to some other nearby areas, so it is not generally on the radar for the rich and famous (who tend to choose Montecito/Santa Barbara or ranch style estates in the Santa Ynez Valley wine country). I have heard the south side is preferable to the north side. Don't know if that is still true or not.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-24-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 10:03 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Going back to the original question of this thread-
Santa Maria is more affordable because the demand to live there is less and there is a lot of development. The city is just starting to turn the city around. It's true the city is about 75% hispanic. That may start to change as development slows down, more jobs are created in the city, and the crack down on gang crime and the opening of the ICE facility happens. If anyone gets arrested now and is found to be an undocumented citizen, they will be locked up at ICE, and then later sent off to the immigration court where it will be determined if they will be sent back to where they are from or not. The city still has issues it has to work out. One would be the sad mall in the heart of downtown. The only nice thing to the mall is the movie theater and Macy's. Personally, malls are outdated and I think the mall should just be torn down. Two of the three schools in town are filled with working class background hispanic students. Imagine being a middle school english speaking student in a classroom where some students are behind because they are just struggling with English.

Nipomo and Arroyo Grande are two affordable coastal options in SLO County since they are further away from jobs and more like bedroom communities. I can't explain why Nipomo and AG are more affordable. They just are.

Northern SLO County is cheap, but the weather is undesirable. I left north county because of the weather and the lack of culture. I'd rather live in Santa Maria than north county. Paso Robles and Templeton are nicer than Atascadero, but good luck finding a job in north county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California