Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 PM

6,274 posts, read 6,922,818 times

Advertisements

I don't think you understand.

The Columbia River is worth MORE to the NorthWest than California is willing to pay.

I hope you understand that food grown by irrigated farmlands in the NorthWest is sent throughout the United States and the World. The amount of irrigated farmland in the NorthWest is equal to that in California. Why would it be in the public interest to trade irrigated farmland in the NorthWest for irrigated farmland in California?

There have been NO studies on taking water from the mouth of the Columbia River and its impact on Salmon recovery. However, recent studies are indicating that off-shore survival of salmon is critical to their recovery in the NorthWest. The role of fresh water entering the Pacific Ocean in dispersing salmon smolts is really unknown.

I know it is hard for urban folks to understand the value of natural ecosystems. California is the poster child for that mindset.
The NorthWest electrical customers have paid billions for the recovery of the salmon. Everybody thought there would be a backlash at the cost. Didn't happen. People were willing to pay the extra money for their electricity to save the salmon. That did surprise me.

Here is an easy one for California to attempt first, before trying the water grab. Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) sells Federal electricity on a bizzare system of allocation to various public and private utilities in the NorthWest. Some of it is even sent down to California and a equal trade basis. All of it is sold WAY BELOW market rates.

A few years ago, Senators Feinstein and Boxer proposed that BPA sell Federal electricity to the highest bidder like the Forest Service does with Federal timber.

Do you want to know how far that went?? See if you guys can do better this time on that issue, before attempting the water grab!!

Oh, by the way.....can you guys get rid of the City of San Francisco dams inside of Yosemite National Park. You know it is a NATIONAL Park, not a site for San Francisco's reservoirs!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 PM

462 posts, read 738,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrygar View Post
The pac northwest is being foolish here - line your pockets with cash, and sell the f*cking water.
Think u got that the wrong way around. Whats foolish is CA mismanaging its resources for decades on end and expecting everyone to bail them out when there's been plenty of warning about this issue for years, yet nothing was done. Why should the PNW be obligated to sell you water when CA cant even manage the water they have properly?

Last edited by Wilson502; 04-23-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 08:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,236,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Think u got that the wrong way around. Whats foolish is CA mismanaging its resources for decades on end and expecting everyone to bail them out when there's been plenty of warning about this issue for years, yet nothing was done. Why should the PNW be obligated to sell you water when CA cant even manage the water they have properly?
But CA is special; best weather, tons of IT work, setting the example for other States to lead in social issues and high Speed Rail attempts. CA deserves everyone giving to it.

The idea of actually addressing the issue and fixing it IN CA, seems to be absent in Sacramento.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
k:

The idea of actually addressing the issue and fixing it IN CA, seems to be absent in Sacramento.
And whose fault is that? Take a look in the mirror.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:12 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,481,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
*You are letting Nestle bottle and sell your water. Get your own house in order. Then drink Lake Tahoe.
^^THIS! Water being sucked out of the San Bernardino Mtns. in SoCal, & various springs in the Sierras in NorCal.

I spent my entire life, save for the last few years, in SoCal, & was always appalled by the blatant waste of water. People hosing down their driveways, even the gutters, washing cars with the hose left running, insisting on green grass lawns, HOAs penalizing residents if they do not keep the grass green, golf courses in the DESERT, wtf?

Now I'm in WA, people let their grass go brown in the dry months. And, as earlier posted here, Washington state east of the Cascades, is a dry desert, & has a huge amount of agriculture...I had to see it myself to believe it. And, it's irrigated by the Columbia.

And, as I posted elsewhere, the Cascade & Olympic Mtns. had barely any snowpack this year, just like the Sierras in CA.

While in CA, I lived very close to the site of the just-built Carlsbad desalination plant. It could have started up much sooner if not for the NIMBYS. So, enough of that & start building more of them.

Doesn't anyone remember from their California history lessons the Owens Valley/Los Angeles DWP water theft travesty??

I love my home state, it breaks my heart to know what is happening there. But taking water from the Columbia is NOT the answer!

Old 04-24-2015, 12:33 PM

11 posts, read 12,637 times
*You are letting Nestle bottle and sell your water. Get your own house in order. Then drink Lake Tahoe.

so first of all all, CA's house is in order - the problem we have is we seem tobe a magnet for welfare and illegals and we have to deal with that. as the worlds 6th or 7th largest economy, you northerners have no idea right to lecture us about running such a complex money making operation. yes, the nestle thing is ****,accomplished by ****ing lobbyists - no idea how that is allowed to continue, but its a

This sort of attitude is not very friendly. Now you understand why I initially proposed that CA annex from Oregon a land route through oregon to the mouth of the columbia. By destabilizing the state through leverage of the state of jefferson folks, we'll fragment any resistance to this plan. Then we'll build a giant straw and drink the Columbia's milkshake. Lake Tahoe will stay clean and pristine - likely we'll drain crater lake before we ever touch tahoe - as at least there is economic benefit to having Lake Tahoe - who cares about Crater Lake - nice to see, but otherwise useless

Old 04-24-2015, 12:41 PM

11 posts, read 12,637 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hFTR6qyEo

Old 04-24-2015, 01:28 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,603,722 times
Too bad buddy, Crater Lake isn't yours either. You have Lake Tahoe and not even all of that. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrygar View Post

so first of all all, CA's house is in order - the problem we have is we seem tobe a magnet for welfare and illegals and we have to deal with that. as the worlds 6th or 7th largest economy, you northerners have no idea right to lecture us about running such a complex money making operation. yes, the nestle thing is ****,accomplished by ****ing lobbyists - no idea how that is allowed to continue, but its a

This sort of attitude is not very friendly. Now you understand why I initially proposed that CA annex from Oregon a land route through oregon to the mouth of the columbia. By destabilizing the state through leverage of the state of jefferson folks, we'll fragment any resistance to this plan. Then we'll build a giant straw and drink the Columbia's milkshake. Lake Tahoe will stay clean and pristine - likely we'll drain crater lake before we ever touch tahoe - as at least there is economic benefit to having Lake Tahoe - who cares about Crater Lake - nice to see, but otherwise useless
You mad bruh?

Old 04-24-2015, 05:24 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,472,849 times
California really has no choice but to drink the Pacific. The Colorado barely makes it to the ocean and there are no other states to take water from. The state is arid to semiarid and overpopulated for its climate but people can't be forced to leave. Taking on the huge fixed costs of investing in desalination now will pay great dividends in the future when more, longer droughts occur and the population is even higher. Once Carlsbad comes online it should serve as an example to the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California