Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I can think of a few areas in California where fresh organic produce might be hard to come by. Big state!
I can't. Even the grocery outlets have organic produce in Redding. Walmart and Target even have organic produce here.

I question how for real this poster is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I can't. Even the grocery outlets have organic produce in Redding. Walmart and Target even have organic produce here.

I question how for real this poster is.
Seriously? I've seen plenty of places where it was non-existant to very scarce, unless you drive a lot of miles.

Not every place in California is a big city with the stores you mention. Some places have one grocery store if they're lucky. Not every Safeway is the same either. Many do not carry fresh organic produce. Some carry very little. I know of one that is phasing it out. Same thing with other chain grocery stores. Not all locations carry organic produce even though some may do so.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Seriously? I've seen plenty of places where it was non-existant to very scarce, unless you drive a lot of miles.

Not every place in California is a big city with the stores you mention. Some places have one grocery store if they're lucky. Not every Safeway is the same either. Many do not carry fresh organic produce. Some carry very little. I know of one that is phasing it out. Same thing with other chain grocery stores. Not all locations carry organic produce even though some may do so.
So, here we are discussing a silly topic for this silly poster.

OP, it's probably impossible. Whatever you do, don't ask around in your own town to find the answer. It's sure to be a waste of time in your mountain hidey hole.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:36 PM

I do not believe this is a "silly" poster or a "silly" topic.

Hopefully, the moderator will take care of this.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I do not believe this is a "silly" poster or a "silly" topic.

Hopefully, the moderator will take care of this.
I think it's silly, and you don't therefore a moderator is needed? Interesting.

The OP never told us where he/she lives and is asking us how to find local groceries for him/her. You don't find that a tad silly?

Well, I do.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:58 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
If you live outside the big population centers almost anywhere in California, you likely live near farming! Granted, farms can also be hard to get to if there's no local farmers market. But that's gonna be the problem anyway if you live remote. This seems less an issue of access than looking around. But who knows where the OP lives.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:10 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Take a drive around the "Salinas Valley", there is plenty of produce & produce stands by Moss Landing, Castroville, Salinas, Marina, Seaside, Monterey, etc......

Old 05-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Take a drive around the "Salinas Valley", there is plenty of produce & produce stands by Moss Landing, Castroville, Salinas, Marina, Seaside, Monterey, etc......
If you follow behind a produce truck, you can sometimes pick up some free produce from the road as they round the corners, especially certain types of lettuce that roll off easily.

Once when I was young, my roommate and I stopped to pick up some lettuce this way. The driver pulled over, got out, and when we waved to him, he smiled, bowed to us, and went on his way. Free salad that night.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
If you follow behind a produce truck, you can sometimes pick up some free produce from the road as they round the corners, especially certain types of lettuce that roll off easily.

Once when I was young, my roommate and I stopped to pick up some lettuce this way. The driver pulled over, got out, and when we waved to him, he smiled, bowed to us, and went on his way. Free salad that night.
OMG, this reminds me of living in Davis, CA, where there was a tomato processing plant (now defunct). I lived on Pole Line Road, the road the tomato trucks would drive down to get to the plant. In front of my condo on the street, were always tons of Roma tomatoes. I'd go out and pick up the good ones. Free tomatoes all summer long in Davis.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:16 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRLocal View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]I’ve been trying to eat healthier by eating organic fruits& vegetables but there are really hard to find sometimes. Are there anysuggestions on easier ways to search for them?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Prove you are not a bot..spammer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California