Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
The most powerful armed force on the planet, with a budget of nearly $700,000,000,000 a year, laser guided bombs, stealth aircraft, huge aircraft carriers, and elite special forces troops has been held to a standstill for nearly 15 years by former farmers, and men who look like this:.
No, they haven't been held in check by ignorant clowns like in the picture. The forces you list have been held in check by men in suits who make decisions on where and when and how to deploy resources to sell the public back home on a variety of illusions - while keeping a very profitable game in play.

I air-crewed in many assaults from both carriers and shore bases in armed conflict. I have inserted and recovered special ground forces. You haven't a clue. Any one of us who have served in these wars will tell you the same thing: we are limited only by our rules of engagement and explicit orders from Washington (and obliquely from unidentified corporate and banking boardrooms) - not by our capabilities. There are plenty of excellent books about this.

It's very cute that you like Hollywood movies. But the real days of equalization, such as during the Revolution and Civil War are never to be seen again. The closest individuals can come to actually dinging the major governments of the world lies in the cyber hacking world.

Now, about those voter issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 11:56 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,119 times
Getting back to the subject at hand, just remember when you vote Brown you will be sending more big business and jobs out of state. Brown has brought CA's debt down by taxing the hell out of businesses which is just one of the main reasons so many have left and continue to leave or refuse to set up operations here at all.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Getting back to the subject at hand, just remember when you vote Brown you will be sending more big business and jobs out of state. Brown has brought CA's debt down by taxing the hell out of businesses which is just one of the main reasons so many have left and continue to leave or refuse to set up operations here at all.
Well there you go.

And I disagree with your simplistic complaint against Jerry. The success he has engineered in turning California's fiscal challenge around has come from many cuts, program adjustments with increased efficiencies, and changes in taxation which are not limited to "taxing the hell out of businesses."

There is also no worry about businesses going elsewhere. Why does California need to score and keep every business opportunity when it is already bursting at the seams and struggling to accommodate too many damn people? Already the top economy, let some 'o that crap go.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well there you go.

And I disagree with your simplistic complaint against Jerry. The success he has engineered in turning California's fiscal challenge around has come from many cuts, program adjustments with increased efficiencies, and changes in taxation which are not limited to "taxing the hell out of businesses."

There is also no worry about businesses going elsewhere. Why does California need to score and keep every business opportunity when it is already bursting at the seams and struggling to accommodate too many damn people? Already the top economy, let some 'o that crap go.
Yea, you are right.I mean, who needs Fortune 500 companies pumping millions of dollars into this state? Who needs Fortune 500 companies creating thousands of jobs in the state with the worst unemployment rate in the country? We need none of that! Take your billions of dollars and thousands of jobs to another state! The reason why a state like Texas is booming and about to overtake CA for the nation's top GDP economy is because they welcome these companies (Apple, Toyota and Charles Schwab, just to name 3 giants) and their money and the jobs they create. I swear, some very clueless people in this state which has led to its demise

Last edited by dexter14; 05-28-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yea, you are right.I mean, who needs Fortune 500 companies pumping millions of dollars into this state? Who needs Fortune 500 companies creating thousands of jobs in the state with the worst unemployment rate in the country? We need none of that! Take your billions of dollars and thousands of jobs to another state! The reason why a state like Texas is booming and about to overtake CA for the nation's top GDP economy is because they welcome these companies (Apple, Toyota and Charles Schwab, just to name 3 giants) and their money and the jobs they create. I swear, some very clueless people in this state which has led to its demise
Only demise I see is too damn many people. Which problem could be solved if more companies left.

Who cares if Texas booms? Or N. Dakota?
Why does it matter if California has the top GDP?
Is this all a high school football type rivalry?
When is "fantastic" good enough?

People have always followed opportunity everywhere throughout history. Why should it be different now? Why should California be expected to accommodate an ever growing population? If people are out of opportunity here they'll just have to find it elsewhere.

Why don't 7 billion people all live on the island of Tahiti?

Old 05-28-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Only demise I see is too damn many people. Which problem could be solved if more companies left.

Who cares if Texas booms? Or N. Dakota?
Why does it matter if California has the top GDP?
Is this all a high school football type rivalry?
When is "fantastic" good enough?

People have always followed opportunity everywhere throughout history. Why should it be different now? Why should California be expected to accommodate an ever growing population? If people are out of opportunity here they'll just have to find it elsewhere.

Why don't 7 billion people all live on the island of Tahiti?
Why does it matter? Come on man, you are old enough and seem intelligent enough to understand these things. Detroit was once on top of the world with tons of factories churning out cars, making tons of money and employing tens of thousands of people just a few decades ago. What has become of Detroit now? You don't think the same thing can happen here? Keep driving businesses and jobs away and CA will end up EXACTLY like Detroit. We are driving out huge companies and their millions of dollars that would be going into our economy and losing thousands of jobs and replacing them with illegals trashing up neighborhoods, collecting welfare and looking for every free handout they can get. CA spends 10 BILLION a year on illegals, just let that sink in. Thats a fast track to demise my friend.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Why does it matter? Come on man, you are old enough and seem intelligent enough to understand these things. Detroit was once on top of the world with tons of factories churning out cars, making tons of money and employing tens of thousands of people just a few decades ago. What has become of Detroit now? You don't think the same thing can happen here? Keep driving businesses and jobs away and CA will end up EXACTLY like Detroit. We are driving out huge companies and their millions of dollars that would be going into our economy and losing thousands of jobs and replacing them with illegals trashing up neighborhoods, collecting welfare and looking for every free handout they can get. CA spends 10 BILLION a year on illegals, just let that sink in. Thats a fast track to demise my friend.
Ah. The Great Detroit Debate!

Except no, there is zero similarity - as has been pointed out thoroughly time and again by a number of posters in various threads. Please explain how Detroit, the city, is similar to California, the state. Detroit had no diverse industrial/business base. California is as diverse a place as there is in the world. And how about investment banking? Or educational institutions? Research centers?

I know: the weather! ----- Um, except -

Ok then. Scenic beauty. You know, of the coast line. Mountains. Recreation. Places people love to go and things they love to do.

One of my dad's brothers moved to Detroit after he came home from WWII. Did a long career with FoMoCo as an optics engineer. Married a nice Canadian gal from across the river. Had a couple kids. So, anyway, me and my sister and brother usta go visit Uncle Gene and the cousins. Back and forth from St. Paul to Detroit. We always had more cool stuff to do in St. Paul. And St. Paul kinda sucks.

Do you really think that rich people will abandon California's real estate and weather to a bunch of broke illegals? I can see Carmel now. All those multi-million-dollar ocean view homes occupied by families of 20 and 30 relatives. Streets lined with mid-60's Chevy Impala Lowriders with hydraulics and sub-woofers.

Think man.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:53 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,405,302 times
mbell,

I am a very conservative Republican, with that in mind, please tell us how anything business wise would be different if the GOP candidate were to beat Brown in November. I mean, the choices presented to us by the GOP party are so no name incompetents that I fear that if they were to win, they might even do more damage to the state's economy. Remember how fiscally liberal Arnold turned out to be. Remember how Meg Whitman ran on a totally ficticious Ebay record (I am an Ebay power seller, Meg's CEO tenure was a mess).

Yes, Brown, to a republican, leaves some to be desired, but if reversing CA's anti-business mentality is so critical, why are we not holding the GOP to task for shoving such lame choices down our throats. Their quality of candidate recruitment indicated that they are not serious about improving CA's business climate.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:56 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Tim Donnely for governor.

Harrier is sick of the pro- Neel Kashkari mail in his box.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:43 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times
Quote:
Dont forget the poor and working people who are hurt the most my the recent increases in sales taxes, which includes a higher sales tax on gasoline. Then there are those pesky Bay Area bridge tolls, increases in the price of public transportation, increasing numbers of toll lanes on our freeways, and now a proposal to raise the regular state tax on gasoline.

Yep, Brown sure loves to balance the budget - on the backs of those who can afford it the least!

PS you got your tickets for that maiden voyage of the Bullet Train?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California