Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:20 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We already have a ban of magazines over 10 rounds.

Watch this 30 second video and see why magazine restrictions do not make any real difference.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFxgQmxbGI
Thanks for the video. To say he's fast is an understatement. It also looks like a rifle ban would have no effect on this guy. However, isn't he the exception on speed?

I realize we have a limit on high capacity magazines in California, but I mean a federal ban. The California law is easy to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
The bill of rights has nothing to do with needs.

Thousands of people have legal machine guns and yet we don't have a problem with people with legal machine guns committing crimes. So why should it be only a rich persons game?

So your saying it doesn't make a difference between having 10 round magazines and 30 round magazines so we should still restrict civil rights and ban 30 round magazines.
I think we have to disagree on the machine gun issue. I don't think anyone should have them.

It's not a violation of civil rights to ban 30 round clips.

If it were, the California law would have been overturned.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:25 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Thanks for the video. To say he's fast is an understatement. It also looks like a rifle ban would have no effect on this guy. However, isn't he the exception on speed?

I realize we have a limit on high capacity magazines in California, but I mean a federal ban. The California law is easy to get around.
He is exceptional fast, but the difference between him and someone with just a little bit of practice is not much, maybe half a second.

Again, if a ban does not make a difference, why have one?

Old 06-14-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I think we have to disagree on the machine gun issue. I don't think anyone should have them.

It's not a violation of civil rights to ban 30 round clips.

If it were, the California law would have been overturned.
The California law is being challenged, the courts move at a snails pace compared to the legislator. 40 years of bad gun laws are not going to be overturned in a couple of years.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
The California law is being challenged, the courts move at a snails pace compared to the legislator. 40 years of bad gun laws are not going to be overturned in a couple of years.
If it's over turned on constitutional grounds then it's gone. As of right now it's the law.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
He is exceptional fast, but the difference between him and someone with just a little bit of practice is not much, maybe half a second.

Again, if a ban does not make a difference, why have one?
You don't know if it makes a difference or not. If it potentially helps one case then it's worth it.

Again, there really is no need for these.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
You don't know if it makes a difference or not. If it potentially helps one case then it's worth it.

Again, there really is no need for these.
Are you really going with the "if it saves one life" argument?

Last time I checked it wasn't called the "bill of needs"

Old 06-14-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Are you really going with the "if it saves one life" argument?

Last time I checked it wasn't called the "bill of needs"
Last time I checked the bill of rights said nothing about the right to high capacity magazines or machine guns.

No one is denying you your civil rights by denying you these weapons.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
The difference between guns and all those other items is guns are constitutionally protected and can be used to protect the owner from an attacker.
All those items, including fists, can be used to protect against an attacker. Guns are simply the most powerful and efficient. But victims of crime who do not have guns do overpower armed attackers on a fairly regular basis. It is such an appealing concept that no such story goes unreported.

And the Constitution is changeable, amendable. It has been altered by amendments 27 times. For pretty good reasons.

Quote:
Guns are already used millions of times each in year in self defense, much more than being used to commit crimes.
Sorry. But you lost me here. Doesn't make a lick of sense. How can there be more defense of crimes - than crimes to defend against?

But anyway, I'd like to see where guns are used millions of times a year in self-defense. Please give me some more info on that.

Quote:
But the argument against guns is never based on statistics, it is based on emotion.
Correct. Absolutely. Just like the arguments FAVORING guns are based on emotion. It's all based on emotions. If our personal and social decisions were based on rational logic these issues wouldn't even exist. Humans are distinguished from other life forms by our mental ability to analyze rationally. Funny how so few of us use that capacity with any real regularity and significance, no?

Anti-gun people FEEL the evil inherent in guns. Pro-gun people FEEL the need for the power and equalization a gun provides - even though the number of people who will ever be in a situation where a gun is the best answer is barely statistically chartable.

Quote:
Thanks for being one of the few rational pro - gun people. Yes I agree. Guns have a purpose and are necessary at times.

Not all guns should be banned and they won't be. Anyone that thinks they will is sadly mistaken.
I guess you've made me think for a minute here. Time for a clarification: I am a gun owner. I prefer to keep being a gun owner. I used frightening firepower in a war and the experience was frighteningly exciting even though frighteningly terrible.

But I am NOT actually "pro-gun". I am decidedly anti-gun. I think it would be swell if guns didn't exist at all. Guns suck.

However, since guns are part of the real world - and they are never going to go away, as you say - um, yeah, I'd prefer to keep mine in this reality.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:37 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Thousands of people have legal machine guns and yet we don't have a problem with people with legal machine guns committing crimes. So why should it be only a rich persons game?
Sorry. Lost me again here. Legal machine guns commit crimes? And we have no problem with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California