Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 PM

462 posts, read 741,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Easy solution. Grow it in normal irrigation districts amongst all the other crops. Done.

I guess that means it needs to be fully legalized.
Yep, and CA will twittle their thumbs about it until at least 2016, when it may finally be legalized, but im not too optimistic with how CA is dropping the ball of just about every issue (including this one). OR will prolly legalize it b4 CA will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 10:48 AM

726 posts, read 1,366,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I'm not going to argue that the industry has had an effect, however, 6 gallons is a high estimate.
There is really an easy solution to the problem and that is larger water storage. A grower can calculate with some accuracy, how much water will be required for a season of growth. With that, they can get the number of water tanks needed to hold that much water. Tanks fill during the winter and there ya' go.

What I find disturbing is that here they are targeting the outdoor growers. What about the indoor operations? Now those do not require the amount of water an outdoor might (all depends on size), but the bigger problem is the fuel and oils getting into the creeks. This happened on the piece next to the family land. Part of the creek runs through our propery, it was a mess to clean up. People at the bottom of the hill were getting sick. The fuel had penetrated into the ground water. I am so thankful that our water supply came from a ravine on the opposite side.

Not sure about what fertilizers they are talking about. I don't know of anyone who uses anything not organic. Of course I don't know everyone in the industry. But I do know that the demand is for organic, so why would anyone grow something else.

ETA: forgot to mention that another factor is that we have not had a normal wet winter in several years. Last good winter was in 2002.
Didn't a "tax" go into effect for massive consumption of water -- aimed at indoor pot growers? Was this at the city level or the whole area served by the utility?

Old 06-03-2014, 02:32 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
You could just as well find "Study finds <fill in agricultural product of your choice> draining streams dry".

Old 06-03-2014, 05:14 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
You could just as well find "Study finds <fill in agricultural product of your choice> draining streams dry".
Sure but this article is specifically referring to forested costal regions of Lake, Mendocino and Humboldt which all have strict agricultural ordinances. But if the state of CA wants to turn it's head to this issue that pot farming is creating then oh well...what can we do about it?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:41 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Problem is, it is mostly illegals doing this stuff.

Since they are a protected class, the state will not do much to stop this.

American grows too many plants in their own home? Gets raided.

Illegals harming the enviornment to grow low grade, chemical filled, junk?
Cops turn a blind eye.

If they wanted to, they could have nipped this in the bud a long time ago.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:51 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Didn't a "tax" go into effect for massive consumption of water -- aimed at indoor pot growers? Was this at the city level or the whole area served by the utility?
The article is talking about outdoor grows out in the hills were people get their water from a spring on the land. I'm sure some have dropped a line into a feeder creek and pump the water, which I believe is illegal. (But who cares right, they are growing illegal crops). I don't know how much or how able F&G is able to walk the creeks to check them or if they even can considering it is going through private property.

As far as a water tax, there are three counties here that are known for cultivation, which area are you speaking of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude
Problem is, it is mostly illegals doing this stuff.
Since they are a protected class, the state will not do much to stop this.
American grows too many plants in their own home? Gets raided.
As far as it being mostly illegals doing this, how do you figure? What is your process of estimation?
And they are not protected. Not too long ago a large operation got busted in the Ukiah area and there were 15 arrested, all Mexican. Now if they were illegal or not, the paper did not say. BUT...consider this, (and as a human being, have some compassion) yes the Mexican cartel has 'farms' in our state, but the poor grunts that work the farms are usually 'slaves' -taken by force, families threatened and here illegally because the cartel brought them here. These are not the same illegals that are working our jobs and applying for state-aid. They don't want to be where they are.

I have seen many a 'cop' turn a blind eye to someone's crop. And too many plants will get you raided no matter who you are.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:46 AM

643 posts, read 917,498 times
Legalize it - then use modern low flow irrigation on the legal farms. I really dont get how weed is still technically illegal in California. The medical benefits are proven and the recreational use is harmless (especially when compared to alcohol). Legalize it, make it environmentally friendly, tax it, fund schools, repair infrastructure, etc.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:18 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
I really dont get how weed is still technically illegal in California.
Because its technically illegal EVERYWHERE. The states have just deluded themselves into thinking they can pass laws that are in direct conflict with federal law. The feds might somewhat turn a blind eye, but until the law is changed on that level (which will never happen) there's always the possibility that federal enforcement could ramp up again (and it never totally stops anyway even in places like WA and CO).

Old 06-07-2014, 06:57 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Because its technically illegal EVERYWHERE. The states have just deluded themselves into thinking they can pass laws that are in direct conflict with federal law. The feds might somewhat turn a blind eye, but until the law is changed on that level (which will never happen) there's always the possibility that federal enforcement could ramp up again (and it never totally stops anyway even in places like WA and CO).
I don't think states have deluded themselves. The issue here is what should be under the control at state level vs federal level. The legality of marijuana used to be up to individual states prior to the 1900's.
Now, there is no federal law regarding what is the legal drinking age. Why do we need a federal law saying marijuana is bad for society when clearly it is by far less harmful than alcohol. It is these types of 'pushing' from stares that make change in the federal government. It was not the intention of our founding fathers for the federal government to be so big. But back to the why of the illegal status of marijuana. Just as corporations today pull strings and line pockets to get codes and bills to pass, it was happening years ago.
Marijuana cultivation stood as a threat to certain big companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California