Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:12 AM

56 posts, read 61,532 times

Advertisements

ANSWER: speaking on behalf of natives califs we have big egos cause we got the good life here. example we are homeless and we are making enough to live ok, on the street sure but we are ok. so your anser is big egos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Or maybe they're that way in Cali too, I dunno. Example: I'm in a Starbucks in Ridgefield CT (high end, semi-rural CT suburb of NY). I'm pouring a cup of coffee from the paper cup into a travel mug - I forgot to have them pour it straight in the mug. So an over-botoxed bottle blonde steps out of her Range Rover and proceeds to give me a peppy lecture about how "I'm from California, and in California we never use the paper cups cause we love the environment, blah blah blah." I responded that here in CT we love the environment too, and that's why I'm driving a Honda Fit instead of your gas-guzzling flash-barge. That's just the most recent example. It seems like Californians are only to happy to cheerfully criticize local customs, food, dress, etc. And it always starts by helpfully announcing "I'm from California, and in California we [fill in the "superior" method/view/practice of your choice]." A variation on the theme is food snobbery, which is always a special source of amusement for us New Yorkers. That might be valid in chain restaurant fly-over land, but I hear the same food whining about highly regarded NY restaurants that have all the trappings of CA - artisianal this, local that, sustainably raised whatever along with ridiculous pairings that make no sense anyone else except Brooklyn hipsters. [I speak of places that serve crap like raspberry-infused lamb chops braised in an asefetida laced reduction of goose tongue finished with habenero meringue at $175 per plate.] Why not just stay home? And if that's impossible, and you're traveling to less enlightened places (which seems to be everywhere else), why the compulsion to be so pompous? The rest of us can't take it any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 11:08 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Over in the Oregon forum (and the Washington, Colorado, Arizona, etc etc) forums, we get asked "Is it true you hate Californians?" and the answer has to be "not exactly." It isn't true that "everyone" hates people from California who move to their region, it is just that one stereotype of a Californian as described in the first post. Someone who likes to rave about how "cheap" housing is here and how "non-California" it is here and yet complain about how things here aren't done the same way they were in California.

If you left California and moved somewhere else, quit talking about how things are done in California or go back. That applies to people making both negative or positive comparisons. Live where you are, not where you were.

Does that mean that California has nothing of interest to other places? No, it's always good to see how things are done somewhere else, maybe something could be modified for the better. There is no such thing as a "perfect" place, but the states surrounding California get more than our fair share of disgruntled Californians who can't adjust to the fact that they don't live in California anymore and it is the "Complaining ex-Californian" that sets the stereotype.

In general, once you move to another state, you become our neighbor and not one of "them."

Old 01-30-2015, 11:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
We're not pompous. We're just better educated.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Or maybe they're that way in Cali too, I dunno.

Example: I'm in a Starbucks in Ridgefield CT (high end, semi-rural CT suburb of NY). I'm pouring a cup of coffee from the paper cup into a travel mug - I forgot to have them pour it straight in the mug. So an over-botoxed bottle blonde steps out of her Range Rover and proceeds to give me a peppy lecture about how "I'm from California, and in California we never use the paper cups cause we love the environment, blah blah blah." I responded that here in CT we love the environment too, and that's why I'm driving a Honda Fit instead of your gas-guzzling flash-barge.

That's just the most recent example. It seems like Californians are only to happy to cheerfully criticize local customs, food, dress, etc. And it always starts by helpfully announcing "I'm from California, and in California we [fill in the "superior" method/view/practice of your choice]."

A variation on the theme is food snobbery, which is always a special source of amusement for us New Yorkers. That might be valid in chain restaurant fly-over land, but I hear the same food whining about highly regarded NY restaurants that have all the trappings of CA - artisianal this, local that, sustainably raised whatever along with ridiculous pairings that make no sense anyone else except Brooklyn hipsters. [I speak of places that serve crap like raspberry-infused lamb chops braised in an asefetida laced reduction of goose tongue finished with habenero meringue at $175 per plate.]

Why not just stay home? And if that's impossible, and you're traveling to less enlightened places (which seems to be everywhere else), why the compulsion to be so pompous? The rest of us can't take it any more.
I think that it's because they are so much "richer" when they're able to buy a bigger home in better areas when they move to their new cheaper environs. It's no different than when Americans visit poverty-stricken countries and act like "the ugly american".

Old 01-30-2015, 01:52 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
We're not pompous. We're just better educated.
Speak for yourself. I never finished 11th grade - yet I'm perfectly pompous

Old 01-30-2015, 04:30 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Or maybe they're that way in Cali too, I dunno.

Example: I'm in a Starbucks in Ridgefield CT (high end, semi-rural CT suburb of NY). I'm pouring a cup of coffee from the paper cup into a travel mug - I forgot to have them pour it straight in the mug. So an over-botoxed bottle blonde steps out of her Range Rover and proceeds to give me a peppy lecture about how "I'm from California, and in California we never use the paper cups cause we love the environment, blah blah blah." I responded that here in CT we love the environment too, and that's why I'm driving a Honda Fit instead of your gas-guzzling flash-barge.

That's just the most recent example. It seems like Californians are only to happy to cheerfully criticize local customs, food, dress, etc. And it always starts by helpfully announcing "I'm from California, and in California we [fill in the "superior" method/view/practice of your choice]."

A variation on the theme is food snobbery, which is always a special source of amusement for us New Yorkers. That might be valid in chain restaurant fly-over land, but I hear the same food whining about highly regarded NY restaurants that have all the trappings of CA - artisianal this, local that, sustainably raised whatever along with ridiculous pairings that make no sense anyone else except Brooklyn hipsters. [I speak of places that serve crap like raspberry-infused lamb chops braised in an asefetida laced reduction of goose tongue finished with habenero meringue at $175 per plate.]

Why not just stay home? And if that's impossible, and you're traveling to less enlightened places (which seems to be everywhere else), why the compulsion to be so pompous? The rest of us can't take it any more.
I hear the same from NYers, when they come here. They are constantly complaining about how things here are not as good as what NY does, or how it's better to do something the way its done in NY. It's very annoying. When I lived in Chicago, PA, MD, DC, VA, I'd run into NYers, and they acted the same way.

The key is not to penalize the WHOLE because of those select few. Not all NYers think that way. By the same token, not all Californians are as you say. These few people you met likely found it hard to call CA home, because of the way they are.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Over in the Oregon forum (and the Washington, Colorado, Arizona, etc etc) forums, we get asked "Is it true you hate Californians?" and the answer has to be "not exactly." It isn't true that "everyone" hates people from California who move to their region, it is just that one stereotype of a Californian as described in the first post. Someone who likes to rave about how "cheap" housing is here and how "non-California" it is here and yet complain about how things here aren't done the same way they were in California.

If you left California and moved somewhere else, quit talking about how things are done in California or go back. That applies to people making both negative or positive comparisons. Live where you are, not where you were.

Does that mean that California has nothing of interest to other places? No, it's always good to see how things are done somewhere else, maybe something could be modified for the better. There is no such thing as a "perfect" place, but the states surrounding California get more than our fair share of disgruntled Californians who can't adjust to the fact that they don't live in California anymore and it is the "Complaining ex-Californian" that sets the stereotype.

In general, once you move to another state, you become our neighbor and not one of "them."

Well let's move you to say Florida for a year or two and see how you do.....LOL. Doesn't sound like you have lived many places.

I agree if someone has lived in a different state for several years and they're still playing the "well this is how we did it" card, it can get old.

But as someone who has lived in 5 states I can tell you it takes time to adjust to a new place and when you see something done poorly in the new state that was done better in the old state, it is natural to comment.

It can take a year or so to adjust. People have left familiar surroundings, long time friends and family.

They have more time on their hands to notice differences.

You can't just move somewhere and in a month or so adjust to the new place, forgetting you lived somewhere else.

I see you're in the PNW. Well I lived in Oregon for a couple of years and while I found people to be well mannered in public and very courteous drivers, they were not welcoming to newcomers. Especially those from CA.

So when you move somewhere, than get the cold shoulder(it's well known about the Seattle and Portland "freeze" and it exists), it's very easy to pine for the place you left and question if you made a mistake.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well let's move you to say Florida for a year or two and see how you do.....LOL. Doesn't sound like you have lived many places.
I've lived enough places to know that no one likes someone who whines about where they are or where they are from.

As an engineer, I did a lot of traveling, and when my company laid off my entire division, I had three client companies in Texas offer me a job. I knew that I would not like living in Texas - that I would likely BE one of those whiners - and passed on the jobs, even though the salaries were quite attractive.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I've lived enough places to know that no one likes someone who whines about where they are or where they are from.

As an engineer, I did a lot of traveling, and when my company laid off my entire division, I had three client companies in Texas offer me a job. I knew that I would not like living in Texas - that I would likely BE one of those whiners - and passed on the jobs, even though the salaries were quite attractive.
Well sometimes people end up in places they don't want to be. If you're 14 you're going where the parents are going, sometimes someone has to change location due to elderly parents or a family situation that requires leaving a place they love to have to go live somewhere they find less desirable.

In the case you mentioned you knew you didn't want to live in TX, well some people if a company relocates out of say CA to TX figure I will give it a shot as I get to keep my job. They make the move and find out they don't like it.

I always say give a place a year, if after a year you still don't like do your best to move. But it's not always that easy, this isn't the 1800s where you can just load up the wagon and go. Some people get stuck because they can't sell a house, they can't get a job that easy in their old state.

Like I said earlier no one wants to hear someone who has lived some place for several years whine about it or still be comparing it to their old state.

But I do cut people slack who are recent transplants who are adjusting and may notice things more as they now find they have more time on their hands due to not knowing many people and have a lot of alone time to think about the move.

I will add to that I found the OP to be ridiculous. The botoxed blonde the OP ran into in a Starbucks in CT, is probably a transplant from CT who moved to CA and now tries to impress others back east that she lives in CA, when she was born and raised back east.

I find native Californians to be very down to earth, and that includes Los Angeles natives, it is the transplants(and usually the younger ones) who put on airs. They move from TN or NE to LA, and now they think they have arrived.

There are few that post on CD, who have lived in CA a very short time and are self appointed experts, when they themselves are new to the area.

Now that is what you call pompous.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:12 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I find native Californians to be very down to earth, and that includes Los Angeles natives, it is the transplants(and usually the younger ones) who put on airs. They move from TN or NE to LA, and now they think they have arrived.

There are few that post on CD, who have lived in CA a very short time and are self appointed experts, when they themselves are new to the area.

Now that is what you call pompous.
Thank you for saying what I have been saying for a while. Transplants are the *******s who give us a bad rep, especially the loud *******ed ones. Native Californians tend to be more on the mind your things and I mind mine and aren't so darn flamboyant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California