Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:10 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times

Advertisements

If Apple (one of the richest companies in the world) can't afford to do business here and neither can another major business like Toyota. Thats not too good. Besides, I wasn't talking about GDP. I am talking about the most people living below the poverty line in the country, the highest unemployment rate of any state, the highest number of Welfare collectors in the country and home to the largest number of illegals in the country who cost about 10 times what they contribute. That decline...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 PM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Well thats what needs to happen. They can make news reports all they want. Bottom line is as along as pathetic liberal Democrats continue to run this state, the more it will sink into decline and businesses will continue to move or avoid CA to begin in favor of Republican run states like AZ, NV and TX which are much better for business. This state used to be the best for business, its nowhere near the top anymore.
I can see by your post, you clearly don't like democrats. I get it. However, I don't think this state will ever be dominated by a republican state senate, again. It's the voters who choose. If you want to be angry with someone, be angry with them. They're the ones who vote them into office and it's usually because they've been promised something that is of interest to them.

To be fair to California, of the states you named, California has the largest population. It stands to reason there's going to be a push and pull when it comes to those who think they know what's best for the state. I'm actually quite surprised that California is doing better, considering how badly it was hit by this last recession. Growth is still slow but it's coming back. I'm even pleased with how well Jerry Brown has done since his return to office. It's difficult to say that because I had no use for the man and never voted for him after his first run in the 70's. Surprisingly, it isn't his work to balance the budget that's been most impressive to me. It's something altogether different but that's best left for a different thread.

Look. I'm sorry you feel this state is going to hell in a handbasket. You're not the only one, I'm sure. Many have left it because they couldn't stand it. Good for them. I wish them well. This is my state. I have faith that things will improve, as long as business is allowed to come to the state. Taxpayers cannot be expected to foot the bill for everything in the state. We need business. And I hope that those in Sacramento will open their eyes and see that winding the red tape 'round and 'round California isn't going to be the best thing for its citizens.

I'd love to see Tesla open a plant here in California. It would provide a few thousand jobs to some who have been out of work since the recession. As for Apple. I hear it split (yet again). Time to buy!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:05 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
If Apple (one of the richest companies in the world) can't afford to do business here and neither can another major business like Toyota.
Excuse me, Apple is spending $5 Billion to build their world headquarters that will house 14,000 workers, not only in California but the most expensive area of California.

(my flickr pics)

Quote:
Thats not too good.
No, this^ is actually quite good.

Quote:
Besides, I wasn't talking about GDP.
Well, that's the totality of the economy. California is soaring right now.

Quote:
I am talking about the most people living below the poverty line in the country
I don't know where you got this information^ but it is totally FALSE.

Official US Census Bureau, All Persons Living Below Poverty Line, 2012
Texas 17.4%
California 15.3%

California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Texas QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

And there are plenty of other states with a higher rate than California, btw.

Quote:
the highest unemployment rate of any state
California does NOT have the highest unemployment rate of any state
Unemployment Rates for States

And we have the fastest employment growth rate so yeah. The days of hanging this talking point over our heads are gone. California is a net gainer of jobs and it is quite impressive to behold the turn around.

Quote:
the highest number of Welfare collectors in the country
hahaha what a joke. California does NOT have the highest percentage of welfare recipients as a percentage of it's population.

There was a vastly misleading article that came out a while back making the fantastical claim that California had 33% of the nation's welfare recipients--and the AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN fact-checked and debunked that report and trashed it's author:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin American-Statesman
Forbes investment strategies editor Bill Baldwin wrote that those 11 states were "at high risk of a fiscal tailspin" because they had many people who received money from the government but maintained policies that "chase out the private-sector jobs that support all that spending."

Baldwin reached his conclusion by comparing "makers" and "takers." For this purpose, he wrote, "a taker is someone who draws money from the government, as an employee, pensioner or welfare recipient. A maker is someone gainfully employed in the private sector." Then he factored in an index that downgrades states for "large debts, an uncompetitive business climate, weak home prices and bad trends in employment."
Their conclusion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin American-Statesman
Our ruling

Ripping off a map that was created for a different fiscal comparison, the chain email said 11 states had more residents on welfare than employed.

By either a broad definition of welfare or a narrow one, experts told us that’s a false and even "extreme" statement. Pants on Fire!
Chain email says 11 states have more people on welfare than employed | PolitiFact Texas

Quote:
and home to the largest number of illegals in the country who cost about 10 times what they contribute. That decline...
Yes and this is NOT California's fault because IMMIGRATION IS A NATIONAL ISSUE. It is the fault of a stupid President and stupid Congress going back 5 administrations that REFUSE to really do what needs to be done to seal off our borders.

What the hell do you expect when Los Angeles is 130 miles from the third world? The third world will come a knocking.

That's not California's fault. It's America's.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:54 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
If Apple (one of the richest companies in the world) can't afford to do business here and neither can another major business like Toyota. Thats not too good. Besides, I wasn't talking about GDP. I am talking about the most people living below the poverty line in the country, the highest unemployment rate of any state, the highest number of Welfare collectors in the country and home to the largest number of illegals in the country who cost about 10 times what they contribute. That decline...
No, you were talking about business being driven out of state. You were presented with contrary evidence showing net economic growth. Confounded, you reflexively resumed beating your dead horse, which did absolutely nothing to rebut the evidence. You're not very good at this.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Not only are you "not very good at this", um you are TERRIBLE at this.
And yet you come back with the same lame lies post after post after post.

The state's illegals do NOT cost more than "10 times" what they contribute. Even using your favorite officially labeled hate group's erroneous claims, they cost only 3x what they contribute back in taxes alone. And that does not factor the value they bring to the state by enabling certain very profitable business to exist and thrive in California - businesses that would otherwise cease to exist and employ many legal citizens and provide revenue to the state. So, just on a very worst case, narrow calculation you are full of s***. Using real numbers researched by competent analysts, the figure is half your hate source's.

But even more humorous is your obsession with the welfare poor in California. They are not a sign of California being a failed state, spiraling ever downward into the depths of Hades. They are a sign of how appealing California is. People seeking relief flock here *wait for it* in "droves". And people who fail to find their necessary opportunity here refuse to leave when they really should.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Excuse me, Apple is spending $5 Billion to build their world headquarters that will house 14,000 workers, not only in California but the most expensive area of California.

(my flickr pics)

No, this^ is actually quite good.

Well, that's the totality of the economy. California is soaring right now.

I don't know where you got this information^ but it is totally FALSE.

Official US Census Bureau, All Persons Living Below Poverty Line, 2012
Texas 17.4%
California 15.3%

California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Texas QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

And there are plenty of other states with a higher rate than California, btw.

California does NOT have the highest unemployment rate of any state

And we have the fastest employment growth rate so yeah. The days of hanging this talking point over our heads are gone. California is a net gainer of jobs and it is quite impressive to behold the turn around.

hahaha what a joke. California does NOT have the highest percentage of welfare recipients as a percentage of it's population.

There was a vastly misleading article that came out a while back making the fantastical claim that California had 33% of the nation's welfare recipients--and the AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN fact-checked and debunked that report and trashed it's author:

Their conclusion:

Chain email says 11 states have more people on welfare than employed | PolitiFact Texas

Yes and this is NOT California's fault because IMMIGRATION IS A NATIONAL ISSUE. It is the fault of a stupid President and stupid Congress going back 5 administrations that REFUSE to really do what needs to be done to seal off our borders.

What the hell do you expect when Los Angeles is 130 miles from the third world? The third world will come a knocking.

That's not California's fault. It's America's.

Thats Apple's spaceship campus and of course that has to be located in CA, thats where all of their top employees live. However, they put their new factory in Austin, TX and NOT CA....

You sure about those poverty levels? Your info is two years old, you need to do some recent research!

Fool

Oh, ok. I was wrong. CA has the 4th highest unemployment rate. Still pathetic

...and Welfare

Is California the welfare capital? | UTSanDiego.com

Old 06-10-2014, 05:44 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Thats Apple's spaceship campus and of course that has to be located in CA, thats where all of their top employees live.
Yes, the average salary for those 14,000 HQ employees is $200,000+ a year.

Quote:
However, they put their new factory in Austin, TX and NOT CA....
Hahahaha Yes, and what do you think is more important and impactful to the economy? 14,000 engineers and innovators or 2,000 factory workers?

What's done in Austin could be done in China or Korea or Brazil or India-what's done in CA can only be done in CA.

Quote:
You sure about those poverty levels? Your info is two years old, you need to do some recent research!
Hun, that's NOT how credible data collection works. 2012 is THE LATEST government data available and since then California has improved significantly.

So your source is actually BOGUS vs. what official government data says.

Quote:
Oh, ok. I was wrong. CA has the 4th highest unemployment rate. Still pathetic
There's a reason why you've stopped seeing news stories about how poorly California is doing-because California is now leading the nation in job growth, job creation and today has one of the strongest economies of any state.

I realize that upsets you(for what reason, I have no clue), but that is the reality of things today.

California is actually doing very well.

Yeah, like I said-this^ was already debunked by the Austin American-Statesman.

So lick your wounds and move on.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Heh. Only thing Montclair forgot to correct mbell on was his first post in this thread where he responded to Sporty's comment about the factory needing to overcome carbon credit issues. Mbell said "electric cars don't produce gasses". Of course, the product produced isn't the issue. It's the carbon result of the manufacturing process that's at issue. But do carry on mbell. Your posts provide immense amusement to the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California