Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:13 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Wood products company buys Galt land for distribution center - Sacramento Business Journal

Quote:
A wood products company has bought a 20-acre site in Galt with plans to build a 220,000-square-foot distribution center for the region.

Zoned industrial, the land is intended to become a hub for EL & EL, which makes moldings, doors and other building materials. With 225 employees in three states, EL & EL plans to have 75 working out of the new distribution center, which consolidate sites elsewhere in the region.

Timing for construction of the center and the sales price for the land were not immediately available. Cushman & Wakefield agents noted the city of Galt was an active partner to making the purchase happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 AM

Brand new tech company spun off from Qualcomm in SD.

Qualcomm's Gimbal Now a Stand-Alone Company | NBC 7 San Diego

Quote:
Gimbal Inc. became a freestanding San Diego technology company as of May 28.

Qualcomm Inc. spun off the company, which offers location technology including indoor location gear. With the help of Gimbal technology, retailers can send messages to a person’s cellphone depending on where that person is inside their store. The technology has also been used in sports stadiums...

Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 AM

Credit Karma leases new San Francisco headquarters in 760 Market St. - San Francisco Business Times

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6068/6...3a37d637_z.jpg

Quote:
Another tech company is expanding in San Francisco. Credit Karma, an online credit score provider, took the last remaining space... in the Phelan Building at 760 Market St.

Credit Karma, which recently raised $85 million in a round of financing led by Google Capital, joins other tech tenants that have moved into the historic Phelan such as Medium, a new venture from Twitter co-founder Evan Williams; Voxer, a maker of a ‘walkie talkie’ app; and Appirio, a global cloud consulting group...

Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
What's funny is that the OP has posted link after link, page after page of business expansions and relocations into California in this "California Economic Expansion & Jobs Creation" thread and what happens? You get oldtrader and this mbell character going " NO WAIT! IT'S ALL A LIE! NOTHING TO SEE HERE! CALIFORNIA IS IN PERMANENT DECLINE! HERE'S A LINK TO PROVE IT! >insert 2 year old dated conservative opinion piece here
2 years old? We both posted over 10 reports combined to disclaim the absurd notions that CA was a great state to do business in. They are all within a few months old and most had actual numbers and facts to back them up. Nice try though

Old 06-11-2014, 10:15 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
2 years old? We both posted over 10 reports combined to disclaim the absurd notions that CA was a great state to do business in. They are all within a few months old and most had actual numbers and facts to back them up. Nice try though
Not really. Most of the links claiming a mass exodus of California businesses lead back to Joseph Vranich's article from 2011. Even though someone rewrites an article based on this data, the data is still from 2011.

Mr. Vranich is a self described business relocation coach as President of Spectrum Location Services. He wants to help companies move https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joseph-vranich/45/534/585

He wants everyone to think there is a exodus hoping to generate some business for himself. Although, he hasn't left, he is still in Irvine.

This article explains Mr. Vranich's views a bit better. Report: 254 companies left California in 2011 - The Orange County Register

From the link
Quote:
In what he calls "disinvestment events," Vranich counts companies that move jobs, facilities or headquarters out of California and "in carefully selected instances, companies making major capital investments in plants elsewhere that in the past would have been built in California," Vranich said.
So while the sensationalists like to headline "CA Business Exodus Accelerates" what it really means is companies are opening offices in other states. Happens all the time. COmpanies from other state are opening offices in California too.

What has happened since 2011?

Look at the graphs here California Job Growth | Department of Numbers
Yes, prior to 2010, it was bad in California. No one is doubting that. What a lot of people are saying is things have improved.

Total Employment in California Blue CES Green CPS

CPS Employment Change

Also, every time the U3 unemployment figures are posted showing improvement, some people post the U6 figures showing they are worse. Well, yes, U6 will always be worse than U3 but the U6 numbers are following the same pattern as U3 and the U3/U6 ratio is not much different in CA than anywhere else. So, it is a worthless argument. Some have been told this a number of times yet keep they keep posting. I suppose the hope is they fool someone.

And, stop with Toyota already. It remains to be seen but that will result in a loss of 2,000 jobs, maximum. I think far fewer. Remember, they are keeping offices here. So, 2,000 jobs lost. Well, California added 320,000 jobs in 2013 (more than 6,000 per week!) and on track to add more in 2014.

mbell, live the present and future. Let others wallow in the past.

Last edited by jw2; 06-11-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Not really. Most of the links claiming a mass exodus of California businesses lead back to Joseph Vranich's article from 2011. Even though someone rewrites an article based on this data, the data is still from 2011.
Yea, no. Sorry, all the links I posted (aside from one maybe) are very current and up to date. Including Forbes just ranking CA as the 12th worst state to do business in. Read my links

Old 06-11-2014, 10:31 AM
jw2

Quote:
Yea, no. Sorry, all the links I posted (aside from one maybe) are very current and up to date. Including Forbes just ranking CA as the 12th worst state to do business in. Read my links
As others have mentioned, one man's opinion on whether CA is good for business vs. actual statistics on business startups and employment improvement. I will take the actual statistics.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
As others have mentioned, one man's opinion on whether CA is good for business vs. actual statistics on business startups and employment improvement. I will take the actual statistics.
Its not opinion buddy, here is how the data was collected. If you can come up with a better method please feel free. We will be waiting....

Best States For Business 2013: Behind The Numbers - Forbes

Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 AM
jw2

Quote:
Its not opinion buddy, here is how the data was collected. If you can come up with a better method please feel free. We will be waiting....

Best States For Business 2013: Behind The Numbers - Forbes
One man took some (loose) statistics, cobbled with some made-up (coefficient) factor for each; the result of which is his opinion on how these data affect business. I could do the same with my own factors and paint any state as being the best for business, worst for business, or whatever. That would end up being my opinion on business prospects.

All I am suggesting, look at what actually occurred over the last few years. You don't have to read tea leaves. It is happening now.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
One man took some (loose) statistics, cobbled with some made-up (coefficient) factor for each; the result of which is his opinion on how these data affect business. I could do the same with my own factors and paint any state as being the best for business, worst for business, or whatever. That would end up being my opinion on business prospects.

All I am suggesting, look at what actually occurred over the last few years. You don't have to read tea leaves. It is happening now.
So you are saying the Census Bureau, the FBI, Department of education, United Health Foundation and all the other places this list was complied from have false statistics and information but you'll believe the stories posted here from the....Sacramento Bee and Daily Democrat Online? LOL, what a joke. I can't argue with people who have no common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California