Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 AM
jw2 jw2 started this thread

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times

Advertisements

Things are about to get better for California schools. California will be able to get rid of their underperforming teachers and attract the best. Without tenure, teachers will have to remain at their best level.
California teacher tenure laws ruled unconstitutional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Things are about to get better for California schools. California will be able to get rid of their underperforming teachers and attract the best. Without tenure, teachers will have to remain at their best level.
California teacher tenure laws ruled unconstitutional
According to the teachers on the education forum, the whole school system will now collapse.

The prospect of having to actually perform terrifies them.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 AM
jw2 jw2 started this thread

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
According to the teachers on the education forum, the whole school system will now collapse.

The prospect of having to actually perform terrifies them.
Ha, that's funny.

I know teachers that would kill to get to the two year point. Once there, they feel they are untouchable. Guess what, they are now touchable. Sure, the teachers are upset.

The order was stayed until an appeal can be heard. The union will surely appeal. I don't see on what grounds though. I think it was a brilliant lawsuit.

This will carry over to the other states soon.

From: Unions cry foul after California teacher tenure rules struck down*-*Los Angeles Times

Quote:
"This is a sad day for public education," said Randi Weingarten, head of the American Federation of Teachers. No student should endure an ineffective teacher, she said, "but in focusing on these teachers who make up a fraction of the workforce, [Treu] strips the hundreds of thousands of teachers who are doing a good job of any right to a voice."
The teachers (even hundreds of thousands of them) have nothing to worry about. The problem is the union prevented the schools from dealing with the few ineffective teachers that make up a fraction of the workforce. Now they will have a vehicle for dismissal. Does Ms. Weingarten have a better way or is just keeping them on staff OK?

Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
I think this is great news. My sons school only has 1-2 teachers that don't do their jobs well, but it sucks for the kids stuck in those classes. I hope this sticks and changes are made soon.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 AM

133 posts, read 274,655 times
This is a horrible thing, how will the teachers be judged? Test scores alone? It only affects through high school when most of my complaints were at the college level. Teachers (for whatever reason) may be fired and you will get new inexperienced teachers that will be struggling to find their grooves, which will prolly get them fired for under performing. This was a bad move, if a teacher is poor fire them, have a 5-8 year run before offering tenure, but getting rid of job security and peace of mind is not a good idea.

Disclaimer, I have been a teacher for three years and was looking forward to tenure, guess that will never happen now.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:31 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
This is a bad move because experienced, high-salary teachers can be easily replaced by newbie teachers with starting salaries.

The lifers (both good and bad) will be first to go when there is a budget crisis. Kids will end up with a bunch of recent graduates who don't know what the heck they are doing, and in a few years when there is another fiscal crunch, the cycle will continue again.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:59 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
This is a bad move because experienced, high-salary teachers can be easily replaced by newbie teachers with starting salaries.

The lifers (both good and bad) will be first to go when there is a budget crisis. Kids will end up with a bunch of recent graduates who don't know what the heck they are doing, and in a few years when there is another fiscal crunch, the cycle will continue again.
I don't see that happening.

Skilled employees will always be more valued than untrained masses at 20% less.

The good teachers will still have a job, the bad teachers won't and maybe some of the young teachers just entering the field will have a chance to have steady employment by working hard and out performing other teachers.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispytopher View Post
but getting rid of job security and peace of mind is not a good idea.

Disclaimer, I have been a teacher for three years and was looking forward to tenure, guess that will never happen now.
Amazing that you feel that way. Maybe teachers need to join the real world where none of us have job security. Why should a teacher be any differant?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I have 6 kids, 5 of which are still in school. I have seen teachers that are only there to collect a pay check. I remember when I was in high school we had teachers that did not seem to care and were just trying to put in their 30 years so they could retire and not have to work again. About the only industry that has pensions anymore are teachers and government employees. Funny both have these big unions. Very few if any industries offer a pension of any kind. Did I spell everything correctly? I was taught by California Teachers so who knows.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:27 PM

133 posts, read 274,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Amazing that you feel that way. Maybe teachers need to join the real world where none of us have job security. Why should a teacher be any differant?
I am 30 years old, I have been a cook, a waiter, worked in customer service for a long time, and in other fields too. I have been in the "real world" plenty, thank you. I spent thousands and thousands of dollars to become a teacher, I can not think of many jobs in the "real world" that require that kind of deposit on a future In a field where we make little more than chicken feed.

Many other professions have different type of job securities, where jobs work on point systems, x amount of points can get a person fired, or in the railroad there is the ability to strike and have tough unions. Or the best security, being amazing at your job and in high demand as a result, not often possible for high school teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: