Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,028 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I am from Philadelphia, Pa. By the end of August I expect to start my new life on the West Coast. Preferably California. I don't have much traveling experience so all that i know is what i have found online.
I recently, for the first time, visited Arizona and San Diego areas. I was expecting to fall in love with San Diego, but sadly that was not the case. It seemed very touristy and a younger focused town. My favorite part of my trip was actually the city of Flagstaff, AZ.
The atmosphere was incredible! Everyone seemed just so in love with their fellow neighbors. Being in that town was one hell of an experience.
So back to California... I have decided I want to be North of San Diego, but South of San Francisco. I want the nice weather, closer to the beach, and somewhere I can get a great restaurant job... preferably a craft beer focused bar. Flagstaff feel in California. Is this possible?? Please help! I will take any suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Maybe consider Ventura or Oxnard. both are on the coast. People are friendly. Lots of new places opening up at the Collection in Oxnard's Riverpark master planned community.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,720 times
What's your budget? Anything "closer to the beach" will be pricey, especially for someone working at a restaurant/bar.

Why not just move to Flagstaff?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:14 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyRoRO View Post
My favorite part of my trip was actually the city of Flagstaff, AZ.
The atmosphere was incredible! Everyone seemed just so in love with their fellow neighbors. Being in that town was one hell of an experience.

You won't find this in southern California. Areas along the coast are wealthy people who keep to themselves mostly. They are nice enough but are not the "hey neighbor how are you today" type. Areas further inland don't have that feel at all unless you are in south OC but still not what you want. You should stick to Flagstaff, its also much cheaper.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
You won't find this in southern California. Areas along the coast are wealthy people who keep to themselves mostly. They are nice enough but are not the "hey neighbor how are you today" type. Areas further inland don't have that feel at all unless you are in south OC but still not what you want. You should stick to Flagstaff, its also much cheaper.
You really need to get out of your house and stop watching Fox news. I have some great neighbors and live in a very friendly community.

and if you really want a Mayberry lifestyle, check out Seal Beach

Old 06-11-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
You really need to get out of your house and stop watching Fox news. I have some great neighbors and live in a very friendly community.

I was going to say the same thing. I live in Oxnard and work in Ventura and have spent my entire life living within a few miles of the Ocean. People comment all the time that the people are so friendly. I have no problem asking how someone is doing or how their day is going and many of these people I don't know. That is just the way it is. Also as far as Oxnard goes, it is much more affordable than many other coastal places. Homes arn't cheap to buy. Our neighborhood is in the $400,000 range. At one neighborhood though they have a low income condo development that is part of a master planned community. If your credit is good and you have the $2,500 for a down payment you could get a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo that is new. What many people don't realize is that many nice places in California have building requirements that allow for a percentage of low cost housing mixed in with the full price stuff. The homes I am talking about are by the 101 freeway so not sure if noise would be an issue, but the price is lower than other places near by.

Saying that, we don't even know the financial situation of the op. Just because the op wants to work in a restaurant does not mean that they are hurting financially.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

shhhhh, we have enough people here already. Flagstaff can use more people

Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Just curious: do you live in the city of Philadelphia or a suburb? I don't know what type of restaurant job you're looking for but unless you're the head chef at an expensive restaurant or a bosomy cocktail waitress at a very upscale lounge, you won't earn enough to pay the rent in most beach areas.

But look into Salinas, Santa Cruz and San Luis Obispo; all are near or on the beach with cheaper rents.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,438 times
Default Carpinteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyRoRO View Post
Okay, so I am from Philadelphia, Pa. By the end of August I expect to start my new life on the West Coast. Preferably California. I don't have much traveling experience so all that i know is what i have found online.
I recently, for the first time, visited Arizona and San Diego areas. I was expecting to fall in love with San Diego, but sadly that was not the case. It seemed very touristy and a younger focused town. My favorite part of my trip was actually the city of Flagstaff, AZ.
So back to California... I have decided I want to be North of San Diego, but South of San Francisco. I want the nice weather, closer to the beach, and somewhere I can get a great restaurant job... preferably a craft beer focused bar. Flagstaff feel in California. Is this possible?? Please help! I will take any suggestion.
Carpinteria , a little more expensive than Ventura and smaller but still checks all the boxes. A new brew pub is in the works on Carp. Av. and we have Island Brewing already.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Lets talk rents first.

In Oxnard and Ventura it will probably set you back more than a $1,000 for a 1 bedroom apartment. An older 2 bedroom will cost you $1,600 a month. Most places want you to make 3X the rent, meaning they want you to have a job or some verifiable income.

On the coast it is cool so AC is not an issue. Chances are you will never have a high electric bill on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California