Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:20 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
Heck, we're in a lot better fiscal shape now than we were when Gray Davis was recalled a few years ago. Our bond ratings were in the toilet and our deficit was over twice as high at the current estimate. Here's that situation in a nutshell, from a Wikipedia article, in case you've forgotten:

"On December 18, 2002, just over a month after being reelected, Davis announced that California would face a record budget deficit possibly as high as $35 billion, a forecast $13.7 billion higher than one a month earlier. The number was finally estimated to be $38.2 billion, more than all 49 other states' deficits combined. Already suffering from low approval ratings, Davis's numbers hit historic lows in April 2003 with 24% approval and 65% disapproval according to the California Field Poll. Davis was almost universally disliked by both Republicans and Democrats in the state and a recall push was high."
It was also the fact that Davis doubled the vehicle registration fees. Not too bad if you had an older car but having to shell out an additional few hundred up to a few thousand just didn't go over too well. That's when The Governator stepped in. Of course, everyone was so upset with the ineptitude of Davis, my brain-dead dog could have won in that particular recall.

One of the things that always impressed me about CA is the people's unwillingness to take crap. While people from most states sit and complain while taking whatever their governments dish out and calling Californians all sorts of names, Californians actually get off their butts and do something about it.

I do feel that western civilization in general is heading for some major changes in the near future but I also feel that CA will fare much better than most. As one poster mentioned, there's a lot of money here. If you really look at it and consider the magnitude of the CA economy, a $14 Billion deficit isn't much at all and we've seen much, much worse. I'm not too happy with a couple of cuts such as schools since we already spend way too little on our schools. I'm all for cuts to prisons though. We spend way too much on criminals who should be out working the fields instead of watching cable TV and managing criminal organizations on the internet.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
It was also the fact that Davis doubled the vehicle registration fees. Not too bad if you had an older car but having to shell out an additional few hundred up to a few thousand just didn't go over too well. That's when The Governator stepped in. Of course, everyone was so upset with the ineptitude of Davis, my brain-dead dog could have won in that particular recall.
Heh, yeah...this is why I snorted tea out my nose this morning when I read that they're considering raising our VLF to cover part of this deficit.

I think much of the problem was that during the dotcom boom so many people were making a mint in capital gains, and while the resulting (temporary) tax revenues were piling up, the legislature enacted some expensive mandates that now have to be funded, whether we have the $ or not.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:41 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
Heh, yeah...this is why I snorted tea out my nose this morning when I read that they're considering raising our VLF to cover part of this deficit.

I think much of the problem was that during the dotcom boom so many people were making a mint in capital gains, and while the resulting (temporary) tax revenues were piling up, the legislature enacted some expensive mandates that now have to be funded, whether we have the $ or not.
As I remember it, back in the 90s when times were good, the state decided to give Californians a "gift" and suspended annual increases in VLFs (Republicans). The deal was, however, that if times turned bad, the state reserved the "right" to return VLFs to levels they otherwise would have been had annual increases NOT been suspended during the good years (Democrats). Times did turn bad after 9/11/01 and the dot-com bust, but, as is usually the case, amnesia set in, no one remembered the deal, and each side turned the whole thing into political spin with a lot of finger pointing.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:05 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Default Sour grapes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
My post from 8 months ago seems to becoming true, the budget deficit is now at 14 billion and contines to rise, anyone with common sense, please leave the state with the equity you have and start a new life elsewhere,
California is in a tailspin in which it will never recover.
Here we have a person who would give anything to live the good life in California but will never be able too, so he/she finds solice in any bit of bad news concerning the state.
The state will recover and continue to do just fine, and you will continue to be a sad little person with a very bad attitude, which most likely runs thorough all segments of your life, not just where you live. It's unfortunate that you find it neccessary to live you life in that manner.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 AM

376 posts, read 1,505,910 times
Thanks for taking the lead and leaving, we all wish you the best and feel free to take all the other people who don't like it here.

So those of us who really appreciate what California has to offer can continue to thrive!

Didn't your parents ever teach you if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything. Sorry normally just bypass these types of post as they have no point, but this one touched a nerve!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:48 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,853 times
The entire country is going to hell, no state is exempt. The questions is; do you want to be cold? Or warm? Otherwise it's all the same.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:53 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,853 times
Sorry, not to be negative, but I just get sick of everyone thinking that all the other states are in so much better shape than California. Come visit our little po dunk state and you'll going running back to Cali in search of some sun, which has not shined here in over 3 weeks now. Stay in Cali. Pay more, but live better.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I think "the point" is right, please leave California to the people that love it, including myself.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:55 AM

92 posts, read 365,952 times
I once counted CA out; I would never do it again. In 1980, when I left for CO, most Californians thought the state was in horrible shape for most of the same reasons everyone does today--crime, crowding, high gas prices in an auto-dependent state, schools and roads in a downward spiral, supposed outrageous taxation. You get the picture.

And guess what? In the next two decades, CA had two explosive booms that left just about every other state in the dust. And when CA booms, the numbers are truly awesome. I would not be surprised if, in a boom year, CA adds as much to her state GDP as the entire CO GDP.

Don't get me wrong; I like CO very much and ended up staying here. I'm just saying CA seems to defy the odds, however great they may seem stacked against her.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:59 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapHillboy View Post
And guess what? In the next two decades, CA had two explosive booms that left just about every other state in the dust. And when CA booms, the numbers are truly awesome. I would not be surprised if, in a boom year, CA adds as much to her state GDP as the entire CO GDP.

Don't get me wrong; I like CO very much and ended up staying here. I'm just saying CA seems to defy the odds, however great they may seem stacked against her.
Agreed.

For those who don't understand this ... would you please leave already?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California