Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 04:37 PM

62 posts, read 74,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
what's bigger your dog or your cat?
My cat. He's 13 pounds. My dog is 11 pounds. The dog will be certified soon, so the cat will be the issue. I'm not too worried about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:41 PM

For future reference I prefer that people let me explain what I am looking for, rather than some poster who doesn't understand my priorities. Its throwing everything off.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 PM

6,897 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post

Socially speaking, Sacramento is your best fit. Super friendly, tons of massage parlors, great young crowd in midtown with so many events going on all the time. Concerts, art, coffee you name it. I love midtown. But beware; it is hot, it is dry. I know people always debate this but trust me, it is not like WA (I use to live there). It is a dusty, dry inland city, and the air quality is poor. You will notice those differences immediately. If you can get past that, you might love it.
I agree with this, except I have to set the record straight about Sacramento Weather.

Sacramento is no warmer than 3/4 the nation in the summer when you factor in the heat index which is very important because for 3 months straight the actual high temp feels 3-5 degrees Cooler on average in the summer.

In fact, Sacramento is almost as cool as Seattle, Portland, and the Bay Area in all the A.M hours of the day. Sacramento is at least 10 degrees, often 20 degrees, at times 30 degrees cooler than the Southwest, Texas and Florida in the Summer especially when you factor in heat indexs (cooler for dry climates, hotter for humid climates)

In Sacramento, 11 1/2 months of the year the air quality is GOOD or sometimes Moderate per the Air Quality Board. Rarely is it Poor.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 PM

174 posts, read 255,148 times
Sacramento sounds like heaven on earth!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
I think you should stay away from the coast, at least the west coast. If you must search inland CA and more so the SW.

However, in between every word you write I hear you need a change in more than climate. IMHO.. East! Plenty of progressive pockets in the SE.

Yep........I think it would be a good experience for you. Places like Chapel Hill, NC or the "triangle" come to mind.

Take your time with it.. Go visit... This is a big deal. Sorry, I am seeing this is as way more than finding a warmer place like Seattle. This is about a change in course on your path of life.

Best wishes on your journey..

Old 07-11-2014, 10:09 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Judging by the excellent input from Sacramento resident Chimerique

and checking some places with padmapper, Sacramento definitely sounds like your best bet.Apts in your price range and including some pet friendly ones. Try a padmapper search a check the walkability scores and the rentals.

I live in Ohio, and believe me you do not want to come to any state east of the Mississippi River,nor anywhere in TX unless it's WEST TX or AZ,because humidity is pure hell and ruins every minute spent outside in summer! It makes you feel like a moldy slimeball,and the sweat moving through your hair/scalp feels like bugs crawling!
Shade has no cooling effect whatsoever on the heat index in a humid climate! You will feel hot and slimy even on a shaded porch or under a huge shade tree!
Do NOT GO EAST!

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...how-great.html

http://www.visitsacramento.com/visit/visitors-guide/

//www.city-data.com/city/Sacram...alifornia.html

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 07-11-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-12-2014, 01:14 AM

He's a service animal now, so pet friendly is no longer an issue.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:18 AM

So Sacramento is safe, and I can get around without a car? Sounds lgbtqi friendly, and somewhat entertaining. Is it a good place for young people? How conservative? Thank you!

Old 07-12-2014, 01:23 AM

Chimérique : is the weather dry and warm year round? I have arthritis, which is why I feel compelled to leave Washington. If this weren't such a serious issue for me, Washington would definitely be my first choice, for living. Other than the SADs inducing weather. Winter is very painful for me.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:13 AM

Why do u think I should stay away from the north coast? Anywhere would be a major change for me. I've lived in Washington, my whole life. Within an hour of Seattle. Lived in a total of 4 places. I have never lived alone, for more than a month. Always with company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California