Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 PM

600 posts, read 824,654 times

Advertisements

Someone help me out with this one because I am genuinely curious. I thought that EBT/Food stamps were only to be used to purchase food, cold food, or take out food a la groceries. I had a conversation with someone about this a few weeks ago, and I was under the impression that strictly cold food or groceries can only be purchased. You cannot technically even get a rotissere chicken with EBT.

How is it that it is used for restaurants ?

Edit: I just looked at this closer and it seems like this only applies to LA County, not Orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:47 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Someone help me out with this one because I am genuinely curious. I thought that EBT/Food stamps were only to be used to purchase food, cold food, or take out food a la groceries. I had a conversation with someone about this a few weeks ago, and I was under the impression that strictly cold food or groceries can only be purchased. You cannot technically even get a rotissere chicken with EBT.

How is it that it is used for restaurants ?

Edit: I just looked at this closer and it seems like this only applies to LA County, not Orange.
Wealthy people in OC don't need to be bothered with this trivial nonsense

Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 PM

600 posts, read 824,654 times
I remember before I moved to California this past Feb, I saw that video Fox News did on that guy named "Jason Greenslate" in La Jolla who was buying Coconut Water, Lobster and Sushi with his EBT.

LOL. That's just hilarious.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Since you seem to think that being on food stamps is so much fun, here's a handy guide on how you can qualify yourself:

Eligibility and Issuance Requirements

All you have to do is: (a) reduce your income to less than 130% of the federal poverty level; (b) liquidate all but $2000 of your cash assets; and (c) fill out application forms on which you must, among other things, prove your legal immigrant status.

Oh, and you'll still have to work at least 20 hours a week, as long as you're able-bodied and under 50.

Then you too can enjoy the luxurious splendor of having an extra $200 to spend on food every month.

Go for it!
You really have no clue how things work here do you? The amount of fraud that goes on in this state. The OC Register had a great write up on it a few days ago showing how easy it is for someone to collect a ton of assistance in this state without ever having to prove they are looking for work. Some collect as much as $40k a year. These are young, able-bodied people. Its been made so easy to live off the state and government here its a joke. Who do you think all these people driving around everyday are? You think they all work from home? LOL. Read a paper or watch the news once in awhile.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
You really have no clue how things work here do you? The amount of fraud that goes on in this state. The OC Register had a great write up on it a few days ago showing how easy it is for someone to collect a ton of assistance in this state without ever having to prove they are looking for work. Some collect as much as $40k a year. These are young, able-bodied people. Its been made so easy to live off the state and government here its a joke. Who do you think all these people driving around everyday are? You think they all work from home? LOL. Read a paper or watch the news once in awhile.
That's funny. I work for Social Services.

A three person household will get $1078 per month in cash aid. Toss in $300 of food assistance. Good luck living in the OC on $1400 a month.

Can you cite where welfare families get 40K a year in CA?

Community Services Agency

Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Back at the ignorant rants, eh mbell? Welfare fraud is less than 3% loss. And the amount you cite "some collecting" as if common, is essentially a myth. You know absolutely zip about this - or about almost any of the topics you post on. Learn about the systems you criticize. Learn about the requirements to qualify for the various forms of aid, such as having to be enrolled in educational programs or be actually working. Learn about the time limits for receiving assistance. Learn about the majority of recipients who are employed while they are on assistance.

Or just be stupid and ridiculed.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
That's funny. I work for Social Services.

A three person household will get $1078 per month in cash aid. Toss in $300 of food assistance. Good luck living in the OC on $1400 a month.

Can you cite where welfare families get 40K a year in CA?

Community Services Agency
This isn't the article from the OC Register a few days ago, but this is bad enough...

Why get off welfare? - Los Angeles Times

In Washington, D.C., and 10 particularly generous states — Hawaii, Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Maryland, New Hampshire and California — these seven programs provide a mother with two young children an annual benefit worth more than $35,000 a year. The value of the package in a medium-level welfare state is $28,500. Most reports on welfare focus on only a single program, the cash benefit program: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. This focus leaves the misimpression that welfare benefits are quite low, providing a bare, subsistence-level income. In reality, the federal government funds 126 separate programs for low-income people, 72 of which provide either cash or in-kind benefits to individuals.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Back at the ignorant rants, eh mbell? And the amount you cite "some collecting" as if common, is essentially a myth. You know absolutely zip about this.
Read my link above and insert foot in mouth

Old 07-11-2014, 08:52 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Read my link above and insert foot in mouth
Mbell, you have a whole shoe store in your mouth. Read my post and then tell me what you have gone out and learned. I repeat, you know zip about the qualifications for receiving welfare, how much people can get on welfare, what they have to do to keep getting it, and how long they can collect. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Yes, all those listed programs exist. And yes, a few people can get multiple sources for a short time - IF they conform to programs and training and employment. You've been shown, by a poster who works for the welfare department, how much is the typical income available yet you choose to speciously post inflammatory exceptions used by media for sensationalist purposes.

Learn how the programs actually work. Learn who supervises the investigations into how much fraud. You are the single most uninformed poster consistently on this forum.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Mbell, you have a whole shoe store in your mouth. Read my post and then tell me what you have gone out and learned. I repeat, you know zip about the qualifications for receiving welfare, how much people can get on welfare, what they have to do to keep getting it, and how long they can collect. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Yes, all those listed programs exist. And yes, a few people can get multiple sources for a short time - IF they conform to programs and training and employment. You've been shown, by a poster who works for the welfare department, how much is the typical income available yet you choose to speciously post inflammatory exceptions used by media for sensationalist purposes.

Learn how the programs actually work. Learn who supervises the investigations into how much fraud. You are the single most uninformed poster consistently on this forum.
You said my claims were a "myth" including the amount of money one could collect didn't exist but I posted proof showing that an AVERAGE mother of two can receive the amount I mentioned. I just posted an entire article on how easy it is to get and stay on Welfare and other programs, written by people with MUCH more experience in the area than yourself. You are wrong, plain and simple. Please read up on the subject
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California