Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:52 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You only think in total dollars. Everything is not as you see it. Are you aware if you were earning $50K in Santa Clara county the heart of the IT business and moved to Austin Texas their equivalent type area and only got $35,000 after factoring in the difference in cost of living, you would be getting a raise.

Due to cost of living, people in California are only in the middle of the pack for wages. You are being deceived by the old smoke and mirrors. California wages may be high in numbers but when it is converted to buying power for a family, they are only in the middle of the pack. Texas is only about $350 per year different for a family in California, after adjusting for the cost of living. Washington state, Utah, Nevada, and Utah which is becoming a IT hub, all beat high flying California.

GeoCommons

And the poverty rate in California is way above every other state in the nation, with almost 25% of the state population living in poverty. And those high poverty rates are in San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles etc., as well as the hard up counties. If California was such a great place, with everyone making big money as you and some others claim, California would not be the poverty capital of the United States, way above #2 state which is Florida the last I looked.

The rich can afford to live in California. The poor love it as it gives them money to live there. But the middle class is fleeing the state for more opportunity, just as they moved to California for opportunities, 30 to 50 years ago. The middle class is leaving and the South of the Border and Asia populations are jumping like crazy. The reason that California's biggest ethnic group is now Hispanic, and is expected to be over half the population in the state in just a very few years.

I'm not just thinking in total dollars as I covered what you are addressing in the post just before the one you quoted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
When you discuss the higher wages for California it is true but you have higher col compared to texas. It's disingenuous to just to compare wages

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 01:53 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You only think in total dollars. Everything is not as you see it. Are you aware if you were earning $50K in Santa Clara county the heart of the IT business and moved to Austin Texas their equivalent type area and only got $35,000 after factoring in the difference in cost of living, you would be getting a raise.

Due to cost of living, people in California are only in the middle of the pack for wages. You are being deceived by the old smoke and mirrors. California wages may be high in numbers but when it is converted to buying power for a family, they are only in the middle of the pack. Texas is only about $350 per year different for a family in California, after adjusting for the cost of living. Washington state, Utah, Nevada, and Utah which is becoming a IT hub, all beat high flying California.

GeoCommons

And the poverty rate in California is way above every other state in the nation, with almost 25% of the state population living in poverty. And those high poverty rates are in San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles etc., as well as the hard up counties. If California was such a great place, with everyone making big money as you and some others claim, California would not be the poverty capital of the United States, way above #2 state which is Florida the last I looked.

The rich can afford to live in California. The poor love it as it gives them money to live there. But the middle class is fleeing the state for more opportunity, just as they moved to California for opportunities, 30 to 50 years ago. The middle class is leaving and the South of the Border and Asia populations are jumping like crazy. The reason that California's biggest ethnic group is now Hispanic, and is expected to be over half the population in the state in just a very few years.
That's odd, California did not make the top 9 hmmm?

"What will 2014 bring in terms of migration? Stoll predicts that New Mexico will move off of the out-migration list and despite its perpetual water problems and current drastic drought, more people will move to the Golden State. Though California was beset with rafts of foreclosures, Stoll believes it is on an upward trajectory."

The States People Are Fleeing In 2014 - Forbes

Opinions differ on everything else

Jed Kolko on Rick Perry and Texas Housing Costs - Business Insider

Old 07-12-2014, 02:00 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
How mature and thought provoking
Yeah!
About as mature as your arrogant statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations
My user name is not a reference to myself rather my expectations of other people due to the fact that most people fall woefully short of my expectations.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah!
About as mature as your arrogant statement:

I was responding to a post by a mature Cali kid who was making an insulting post based on my username. My statement is far from arrogant. I hold myself to a much higher standard than most people do and if I expected the same out of the average person I would constantly be disappointed.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:09 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
I was responding to a post by a mature Cali kid who was making an insulting post based on my username. My statement is far from arrogant. I hold myself to a much higher standard than most people do and if I expected the same out of the average person I would constantly be disappointed.
Yeah, that's not just a restatement of more arrogance.
"Average people" indeed! Why would you stoop to engage with merely "average" people?

Old 07-12-2014, 02:09 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Since used wiki as a resource does that open it up to my use?

California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Abbreviations CA, Calif., Cali., US-CA

1. I'm not sure where y'all's sensitivity comes from with Cali

2. That's really your response to the post you quoted? How mature and thought provoking
Only thing is I sourced Wiki to note Cali, Colombia which it is, but your source shows slang, "Cali" is not an official abbreviation of California, never was going back to 1874.

"California -- Cal. Calif. CALIF CA "

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/po...reviations.pdf

y'all is so Paula Deen

Old 07-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah, that's not just a restatement of more arrogance.
"Average people" indeed! Why would you stoop to engage with merely "average" people?

I engage with average folks, below average and well above. I can't expect everyone to live up to my standards in or outside of work. The average US worker isn't working on a career or advancement, that's not arrogance either. Whatever distracts you from the actual topic being discussed

Old 07-12-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Only thing is I sourced Wiki to note Cali, Colombia which it is, but your source shows slang, "Cali" is not an official abbreviation of California, never was going back to 1874.

Oh it's not "official" but it's is widely used and is listed as an abbreviation on wiki. Again why would it bother you so?

Old 07-12-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:

y'all is so Paula Deen

Please expand on this. What does this mean?

Old 07-12-2014, 03:33 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Quote:

y'all is so Paula Deen
Ah, but there is no stemming tide of the young and hip and kewl and their abbreviations. Selfies, bagels with a shmear, Cali, and too many more I cant remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California