Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:07 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I am not sure why this is a brought up as a concern. It's not like the poeple there now are making a ton of money that will evaporate overnight if California ceases to exist. They're already making a certain amount, and it won't go up or down immediately following partition. Depending on the policies the successor states follow their local income may change noticably after several years, but there won't be an overnight change for most people.
Yes, it would go down, or jobs would vanish. The jobs dependent on Sacramento, that is. Jefferson would need to generate its own tax dollars to pay for state jobs. Where would those dollars come from? Stepping up redwood harvesting? Jefferson doesn't have options for economic development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 06:11 PM

231 posts, read 251,025 times
I like the idea of 2 states--makes more sense. An East CA and West CA is more in line with urban versus rural and would likely represent their constituents more closely. If you took the proposed "mini states" and broke them into just 2 Californias, you would have 2 viable states that would better reflect urban versus rural counties.

If you combined Jefferson, Northern and Central CA in 1 state (Northern CA or whatever people wanted to call it) and Silicon Valley West and southern CA into a 2nd State (California, Southern CA or whatever they wanted to call it), you would end up with 2 economic powerhouse states that would be quite viable.

The Western or Southern CA state would still be the # 1 state in the union for GDP, have about 29 million inhabitants in 17 counties. There would almost be a 2-1 Democrat over Republican majority although there would be a huge (almost 3 million) group of Decline to State voting block that could possibly break up the gridlock California currently suffers from.

The other California (Northern, Eastern or whatever they decided to call it) would have about 9 million people in 41 counties and a GDP ranking of # 14 in the reconfigured union (definitely not in the poorhouse). This new state would still have a slight Democrat majority but would have to deal with a huge Decline to State voter block that would obviously drive the final compromises.

I wouldn't see U.S. Senators changing parties but think you would get more responsive U.S. Senators in both new states. Congressmen/women would probably remain pretty much the same as we have now.

The 6 Californias website is minimal and does not provide much information at all. I agree completely that 6 Californias is not viable or even desirable. I also agree that 2 Californias could be just the medicine that's needed and would obviously be economically viable.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:07 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
I think that gerrymandering the borders of entire states, as opposed to just congressional districts, for partisan political purposes would set an unfortunate precedent.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Jefferson would need to generate its own tax dollars to pay for state jobs. Where would those dollars come from? Stepping up redwood harvesting? Jefferson doesn't have options for economic development.
Oh no? They sure could, if the Feds would quit bothering their product:

Fun thing about that is, the righteous fundamentalist types up there would have to buy into the idea. Can't wait for those town hall meetings!

Old 07-21-2014, 07:27 PM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
If South California, the proposed state I live in, became its own state, I kind of wonder about the counties. I wonder what it takes for counties to split up. San Brdo. County, IIRC, is larger than Maryland. It, on its own, would be something like the 42nd largest state. San Brdo. County could split up, if people wanted it to, into, say, Owens County, Victor County, Mohave County, and San Brdo. County.

But how would that even work, and would any of these six states have immediate risk of that happening?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
I agree an east - west split is the best apportionment. But I feel bad about any state not having a seashore and ocean port. So, in the spirit of fairness you understand, I propose that a slice off the very tippy top of the western half state along the Oregon border be donated to East California. Giving up Crescent City is about as magnanimous as you can get. Hell of a gesture of good will.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
This whole thing is just incredibly dumb.

The only good I can see coming from this is a push to reform to the initiative process. I couldn't care less how many people voted for a crook like Leland Ye; we live in a state that entrusts those same people, and worse, to amend the state's Evidence Code. FFS.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
This whole thing is just incredibly dumb.
Yeah. Except for the giving away Crescent City part.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah. Except for the giving away Crescent City part.
I heard they have vestigial tails.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I heard they have vestigial tails.
Yes. And they vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California