Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you live in CA?
Job 4 13.33%
Family 3 10.00%
Weather 6 20.00%
Born here and never been anywhere else 2 6.67%
I don't know 1 3.33%
Other 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:53 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
If you're so curious about life outside of CA, why don't you go experience it?
I have actually, most people haven't and thats part of the problem. Ive been to 27 states and spent extensive time in 15 of those. Thats why I think most of what people do here in CA, they can do in other states but they don't realize it. They go by stereotypes or what they hear from others etc...Hell, I know a ton of people who think cities like Dallas and Nashville are filled with cowboys, dirt roads and farms. I can't remember the last time I saw an actual "cowboy" in either city. They are about as normal and urban as most any other city outside of major downtowns like LA, NY, DC or Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
I have actually, most people haven't and thats part of the problem. Ive been to 27 states and spent extensive time in 15 of those. Thats why I think most of what people do here in CA, they can do in other states but they don't realize it. They go by stereotypes or what they hear from others etc...Hell, I know a ton of people who think cities like Dallas and Nashville is filled with cowboys and hicks. I can't remember the last time I saw an actual "cowboy" in either city. They are about as normal and urban as most any other city outside of major downtowns like LA, NY, DC or Chicago.
I don't disagree, but CA is no different in that regard. People that don't venture often out of their own area tend to believe stereotypes about others.

Imagine what some people in/around Dallas/Nashville who have never lived/been anywhere else think CA is like.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't disagree, but CA is no different in that regard. People that don't venture often out of their own area tend to believe stereotypes about others.

Imagine what some people in/around Dallas/Nashville who have never lived/been anywhere else think CA is like.
haha, touche.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:52 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times
Quote:
Sure you do. Just because you chose to live in the sticks where you had to drive 30 minutes to see a movie doesn't mean everyone outside of CA does too.
You don't choose where your parents live, bro. But you can move as I did once you're old enough. I don't understand why you make posts, when you aren't willing to listen to anyone's thoughts but your own.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
The clear distinction here is, you didn't have to drive to Costa Mesa. You chose to. There is plenty to do, shop, see, eat in Anaheim. In other cities/states, you don't have that choice. And even if you did have to drive to Costa Mesa, many other places aren't afforded the same reality where it's residents can travel to a different city that has its own set of amenities to experience.
Exactly, but than Mbell75 wouldn't have another issue to whine about. It's funny how if you plan about where you're going, the time and day you're going, you can avoid a lot of traffic.

But than there isn't anything for that poster to whine about.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
I have actually, most people haven't and thats part of the problem. Ive been to 27 states and spent extensive time in 15 of those. Thats why I think most of what people do here in CA, they can do in other states but they don't realize it. They go by stereotypes or what they hear from others etc...Hell, I know a ton of people who think cities like Dallas and Nashville are filled with cowboys, dirt roads and farms. I can't remember the last time I saw an actual "cowboy" in either city. They are about as normal and urban as most any other city outside of major downtowns like LA, NY, DC or Chicago.
Good for you, I have been to 32 states and lived in 5.

Can't stand humidity. As beautiful as parts of the southeast are(SC, GA), the humidity is brutal.

People are somewhat uncomfortable right now in Southern CA due to it being somewhat humid. It's still a cakewalk compared to the South and the East Coast.

And forget FL, miserable for about 7 months out of the year.

I was in Dallas in Dec, one day it was 78 degrees, next day the snow/ice storm hit and shut down the city. Dallas isn't a bad place, but the whether is very extreme, you roast for several months, and than you freeze.

Southern CA hands down has the best climate in the country.

You see you can come to CA and adapt to the weather right away, I remember a friend had some friends visit from New Orleans in the summer, they kept going on and on about the LA weather. How they couldn't walk around New Orleans like this.

So while you can go other places, you can't take the weather with you.

Last edited by seain dublin; 07-16-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, but than Mbell75 wouldn't have another issue to whine about. It's funny how if you plan about where you're going, the time and day you're going, you can avoid a lot of traffic.

But than there isn't anything for that poster to whine about.
True, you mean doing everything between 2am-5am? because thats the only time there is no traffic in OC

Old 07-17-2014, 03:27 AM

172 posts, read 274,415 times
Quote:
Seems so many people only live in SoCal for the weather. Is weather really worth living in the most expensive state in the country and paying more for nearly everything? Seems most people I have talked to spend most their time at work and then usually shop at chain stores, eat at chain restaurants and go to the movies in their spare time. These are things you can do in any other state, so why do people pay premium prices for these things? How many of you do are doing outdoor activities like hiking and the beach on a daily or even weekly basis? Curious.
Family definitely family, otherwise, I would have been gone a long time ago.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Quote:
Seems so many people only live in SoCal for the weather. Is weather really worth living in the most expensive state in the country and paying more for nearly everything? Seems most people I have talked to spend most their time at work and then usually shop at chain stores, eat at chain restaurants and go to the movies in their spare time. These are things you can do in any other state, so why do people pay premium prices for these things? How many of you do are doing outdoor activities like hiking and the beach on a daily or even weekly basis? Curious.
Surf every day at lunch. Walk the kids and wife downtown in the perfect weather 5-6 times a week. Ski, camp, shop, tour, theme park, club, travel (LAX tix to Asia are cheap) all the time.

Can't do all that in Omaha.

Also SoCal is the center of my industry, thank goodness!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
I've had what I refer to as, "The Hotel California Experience:" I've tried to check out many times . . . but have never been able to leave.

I started paying attention to that song when I arrived in 1979. My plan was to stay in California a scant few years before migrating back to the northeast coast, where I was originally from. I recall how the lyrics of that song - "You can checkout any time you like, but you may never leave" - would haunt my thinking. Each time I heard those words I'd say to myself, "I hope that doesn't happen to me."

It's been 34 years and 7 months since my arrival. Try as I did - as many a times as I did - I was not able to leave California. The curse (or blessing) of that Hotel California song gripped me and hasn't let go.

Am I a better person or better off as a result? Maybe not. Maybe so.

Regardless, I am thankful for being here, for living here, for the friends I've made, the family I raised; for those who wrongfully or rightfully have given me reason to pause, contemplate and become deeply introspective. For those whose actions (or lack thereof) forced me corner and question my own beliefs. For those who've proven that Loyal Faithful Friends are closer than blood-relatives, and are severely few in numbers.

Thank you California. I love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California