Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you live in CA?
Job 4 13.33%
Family 3 10.00%
Weather 6 20.00%
Born here and never been anywhere else 2 6.67%
I don't know 1 3.33%
Other 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times

Advertisements

Seems so many people only live in SoCal for the weather. Is weather really worth living in the most expensive state in the country and paying more for nearly everything? Seems most people I have talked to spend most their time at work and then usually shop at chain stores, eat at chain restaurants and go to the movies in their spare time. These are things you can do in any other state, so why do people pay premium prices for these things? How many of you do are doing outdoor activities like hiking and the beach on a daily or even weekly basis? Curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 04:26 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
I was born and raised in California, specifically Los Angeles. I love the size of this state, its diversity in people, food, culture, etc. I especially love the diversity in geography and topography in California. I've gone hiking around SoCal multiple times (would live to go up North for nature). I also love the great cities in this one state alone. There are so many things to do in California.

My family's here. We've been here for four generations now, and I have no plans on leaving California, as of right now at least. I plan on raising my future family here.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:29 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Should have been in CA, not LA section. Seems so many people only live in SoCal for the weather.
Yeah, I'm sure you accidentally posted in the LA forum.

Just because I don't go to the beach every night after work and eat at a SoCal specific restaurant for brunch and mimosas and tan my butt cheeks on the Mexican veranda under the 2pm sun doesn't mean that I don't enjoy having the option to.

Not to mention that sometimes eating at a chain restaurant or going to the theater requires a 30 minute plus drive out of the suburbs, boonies, or dirty south to get to where there's something that even resembles society. When I lived in Georgia, I had to drive 45 minutes to get to a movie theater. Nah brah. Not to mention mention, income is generally higher in states where the living expense is higher.

Not to mention mention mention, SoCal is home to an industry you really can't experience anywhere else. Sure you could work on Transformers 5 in chicago for the four months out of the year they're filming there. But all of the pre-production happens in SoCal, all of the post-production happens in SoCal, all the talent, agents, studios, companies are located in SoCal. That's what draws people who live in the middle of bumscrew Indiana to expensive, glorious SoCal.

While I don't go hiking very often, when I do, the option is there and I enjoy it. When I lived elsewhere, I never had the option to. People live where they want to live, who cares. If they can afford it, they afford it. If they're scraping, they keep scraping.

Why do you live in SoCal? So you can make ridiculous posts like this one? Curious.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:32 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I love the size of this state, its diversity in people, food, culture, etc. I especially love the diversity in geography and topography in California. I've gone hiking around SoCal multiple times (would live to go up North for nature). I also love the great cities in this one state alone. There are so many things to do in California.

In addition to the above, I love living in California because I am a motorcyclist. The Bay Area is the most motorcycle-friendly place in the country, and the rest of the state isn't far behind.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:21 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Shop at two places: Goodwill and Farmers Market.
Haven't ate out once since I moved here last Feb.
Haven't been to a movie in 6 years.

Live in a 400 sq ft studio. Didn't have cable my whole time here and sold my tv last weekend. Didn't use.

If there's a mountain...I've hiked it. The beach? I wear sunscreen but if I have skin cancer it wouldn't shock me. I've never gone more than 2 days without at least walking the beach. If I die I'm going out with a smile on my face.

Coastal California is the greatest place in the lower 48 and nowhere else is close.

Golden State 4 Life

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
I live in California because.....It's California.

I live in the mountains close to Yosemite and drive to the coast every few weeks. The weather is perfect and the scenery is outstanding.

Life is good.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I live in California because.....It's California.

I live in the mountains close to Yosemite and drive to the coast every few weeks. The weather is perfect and the scenery is outstanding.

Life is good.
I gotta get up to Yosemite. Lake Tahoe was gorgeous. I'm going to San Fran for the first time next weekend. Can't wait.

Best part of this state is everytime you go somewhere new it always delivers.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Why can't I choose more than one option for the poll?

Old 07-15-2014, 06:05 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Not to mention that sometimes eating at a chain restaurant or going to the theater requires a 30 minute plus drive out of the suburbs, boonies, or dirty south to get to where there's something that even resembles society. When I lived in Georgia, I had to drive 45 minutes to get to a movie theater. Nah brah.
To be fair, traffic in SoCal also means the same thing a lot of times. We drove from Anaheim to Costa Mesa to go shopping and have dinner recently. What should have taken about 2 hours took 4 thanks to the lovely traffic on the 5, 55 and 405. It literally took 45 minutes there and close to an hour to get home at 6pm on a Tuesday and its only 13.2 miles away.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:09 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Can you vote for more than one?

Wouldn't most people be living here--or anywhere--because of a multitude of reasons: job, family, weather, as well as several other benefits listed under "other"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California