Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

OP, look at the archives for the Eureka newspaper if you can find them online. See how many stories there are about people being attacked in the woods.

People from who knows where love to post on the CA forums and put the scare into people about hordes of zombie meth heads taking over, and of course the govt here will destroy you, or some such nonsense. So, look for actual data. FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 01:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
My reasons for advising people not to hike alone are primarily because of mountain lions, which are showing up in populated areas because they too are suffering from the drought. I had three deer in my yard yesterday after not seeing one for a year. Again, the drought.
I can't really advise you on the wisdom of camping in remote places because I have never done it nor wanted to. I'm sure some of the readers here can help out. Here are a couple of numbers that may be helpful: the redwood Parks Association in trinidad is 707 677-1945 or call Al at 482 0520, the latter a Sierra Club number in Orick. A lot depends on your personal tolerance level. My brother in Florida camps in the Okefenokee in a hammock with about a one foot clearance between him and the gators. I would try to talk with people who are into this kind of hiking.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
My reasons for advising people not to hike alone are primarily because of mountain lions, which are showing up in populated areas because they too are suffering from the drought. I had three deer in my yard yesterday after not seeing one for a year. Again, the drought.
I can't really advise you on the wisdom of camping in remote places because I have never done it nor wanted to. I'm sure some of the readers here can help out. Here are a couple of numbers that may be helpful: the redwood Parks Association in trinidad is 707 677-1945 or call Al at 482 0520, the latter a Sierra Club number in Orick. A lot depends on your personal tolerance level. My brother in Florida camps in the Okefenokee in a hammock with about a one foot clearance between him and the gators. I would try to talk with people who are into this kind of hiking.
Good point about the mountain lions, and there are also bears. A person should go prepared just in case.

Your brother sounds like a real card

Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
My brother was the US Wu Shu champion five years running. But he still has a healthy respect for wildlife.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
You can't really go hiking with a gun.
In the 4 years I lived in the area, I never had any problems. The 'dangerous' growers are so far out and off the beaten path, your likelihood of encountering them is minimal.
Camp in a campground or state park and you won't have anything to worry about.
We had one theft, daughter left her bicycle on the lawn and another kid took it.
When home, we never locked the door.
Cutten is a nice area, and by the elementary school at the end of Avalon, there is a great place to take a walk in the redwoods. And it is more sunny than the rest of Eureka.
Most of the drug problem in Eureka is along the 101 corrador and at the north end. Stay away from living in that area and you should have no problems.
Anywhere there is blm land you can but no Parks.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
My brother was the US Wu Shu champion five years running. But he still has a healthy respect for wildlife.
Okay, what's a Wu Shu champion?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:50 AM

479 posts, read 431,840 times
I hike in the woods all the time by myself. No gun, no whistle... My biggest worry is mountain lions, my worst encounter has been fresh bear ****. Never encountered uzi packing dope growers. Never. Sketchy-looking mushroom pickers, yes. But, no uzi packin' dope growers.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I don't hike alone as much as I used to, mostly because I'm not as agile as I used to be. But ppl do need to have an awareness that the woods are not Disneyland, even on a simple day hike. My favorite redwoods trail is the Brown Creek Trail in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park; it's my idea of heaven. But a few years back on that very trail,an older man was attacked by a mtn. lion a/k/a cougar. It had him by the head and neck and his wife literally beat it off with a stick. He had to be taken to the Bay Area for tx, it was that severe; so it does happen.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastie View Post
I hike in the woods all the time by myself. No gun, no whistle... My biggest worry is mountain lions, my worst encounter has been fresh bear ****. Never encountered uzi packing dope growers. Never. Sketchy-looking mushroom pickers, yes. But, no uzi packin' dope growers.
When I lived right next to the national forest in WA state, we had a lot of mushroom pickers come through and they are very territorial and can be scary. But, whenever I encountered them and they saw I wasn't there for the mushrooms we were fine. But, this is true. The woods are not always unicorns and fairies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
I don't hike alone as much as I used to, mostly because I'm not as agile as I used to be. But ppl do need to have an awareness that the woods are not Disneyland, even on a simple day hike. My favorite redwoods trail is the Brown Creek Trail in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park; it's my idea of heaven. But a few years back on that very trail,an older man was attacked by a mtn. lion a/k/a cougar. It had him by the head and neck and his wife literally beat it off with a stick. He had to be taken to the Bay Area for tx, it was that severe; so it does happen.
Yikes! Supposedly mountain lions have carried off dogs in Whiskeytown Lake National Park right outside of Redding. A park ranger told me, so I will assume it's true. So, I don't take my dog there.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 AM

479 posts, read 431,840 times
The mushroom pickers are usually cool... Some of 'em just look sketchy. Some of 'em are famous chefs, though (locally), too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California