Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM

26 posts, read 23,429 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am from LA, born and raised here. I am looking to move out of the city some place close to nature.
I do not have to worry about work. I work for myself online so I can move anywhere. Anyway I want to move to the northern coast. I have heard some disturbing things about Humboldt, crime and meth etc. I am cool with mmj, but not druggy drugs. I am somewhat of a modern hippie. Anyway I thought about Mendocino as an option as well.
I was also planning on buying a home, but prices seem a lot higher then that of say crescent city or southern oregon.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I heard there were hoards of walking zombie meth heads swarming Redding before I moved here.

Not sure where they are all hiding.

Go see for yourself, is my advice. I'm not sure who starts these rumors, but there probably isn't any town in CA that doesn't have it's share of people using meth. And it seems like most downtown areas in most cities now have homeless problems. That's true for Redding, too. But, they generally stay in only certain areas, like downtown mostly, and certain parks. They aren't all over town in all neighborhoods.

And I question who starts and perpetuates these rumors on CD anyway. Do they even live there? Not likely.

Go see for yourself.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Meth is EVERYWHERE in California.

My wife worked for a firm that provided outsource public defender service in California. She worked in Modoc county, Fresno and Oakhurst. The vast majority of her cases were meth related.

Whether it is visible of not? Quien sabe?

Heck, there was an active meth lab in a home down at the end of the block here in my neighborhood a few years ago. And I live in a "good" neighborhood!

Pick a place you love. Enjoy your life. Keep you alarm system in good working order, and keep your powder dry.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvckscvle View Post
I am from LA, born and raised here. I work for myself online so I can move anywhere.
Don't presume the best internet is everywhere:

Internet Dreamin' | News | The Journal

Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I heard there were hoards of walking zombie meth heads swarming Redding before I moved here.

Not sure where they are all hiding.

Go see for yourself, is my advice. I'm not sure who starts these rumors, but there probably isn't any town in CA that doesn't have it's share of people using meth. And it seems like most downtown areas in most cities now have homeless problems. That's true for Redding, too. But, they generally stay in only certain areas, like downtown mostly, and certain parks. They aren't all over town in all neighborhoods.

And I question who starts and perpetuates these rumors on CD anyway. Do they even live there? Not likely.

Go see for yourself.
Yes you are right. Like talk about LA, this is the gang capitol of the world, yet I never had any problems here. LA people do have a certain 'attitude' and aggressiveness which comes with city life, but that is fine.

Everything is all in perspective. Like Humboldt compared to LA looks like heaven. A ghetto up there would be a high end neighborhood in LA. Don't get it twisted people, there are murders and robberies and shootings in Beverly Hills, and very wealthy neighborhoods in LA. And yes there are drugs everywhere, crime everywhere, but you cannot compare the crime in Humboldt to the crime in LA. So what people are saying is negative up there is from their small experience of crime and drugs. So I guess for a little town, a couple of homeless and drugies is outlandish. In LA that is your average person. (Not really but generally LA is screwed up on a lot of levels, cost of living, homeless, drugs, smog, pollution, mexico part 2-im not racist but hispanics have free reign here, they run LA.)
thanks for your input, yes I have to go up there and feel it out first

Old 07-29-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Don't presume the best internet is everywhere:

Internet Dreamin' | News | The Journal
That article was more about people in Humboldt not being up to date with Technology. I believe common places like eureka or arcata have some towers. The internet is pretty big now, and there are towers everywhere, unless you are in buttfu*k kansas, the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,943 times
I would suggest you take a week and drive up to Humboldt County. On the way you'll pass through Mendocino and Sonoma Counties. I mention Sonoma County as a third option to consider. After viewing Humboldt County then you have a chance to take another look at Mendocino and Sonoma Counties.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvckscvle View Post
The internet is pretty big now, and there are towers everywhere, unless you are in buttfu*k kansas, the middle of nowhere.
Well, you can forget FiOS up there:

FiOS Humboldt County - Verizon FiOS and DSL Internet Service Provider

Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Clear/sprint wifi has towers in all of eureka and parts of arcata more toward the ocean
Verizon has 4g LTE wireless in all of Arcata and Eureka, in fact it looks like almost all of humboldt has wireless internet coverage.
Wireless internet can be around $50 unlimited with Clear/spirit.
There is the internet problem solved.
Yes I would think a city would have to be pretty 'backward' for you to not be able to get internet coverage there.
But you are right no dsl or line in wall internet.
My clear wifi is pretty solid and fast, watch movies, youtube, anything, no worries.
As long as you are on 4g your fast enough.
This goes to show you one person's idea is not the whole story to something.

Last edited by blvckscvle; 07-30-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California