Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:38 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
The price of insurance went up this year and virtually every year for the past 20 years. Thanks Obama!
Right; long before Obama was even a state senator...

The dirty truth about the GOP attack on Obamacare: It worked - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 04:15 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
The price of insurance went up this year and virtually every year for the past 20 years. Thanks Obama!

Ours went up 95%....so yes thank you Obama.....not.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
The Bush administration missed a prime opportunity in the mid-2000s to allow for sale and transfer of health insurance policies across state lines, as it is already done with car insurance. It wasn't seriously proposed in Congress, but I distinctly remember that back when I was much, much more conservative than I am now, this idea was being debated on Fox News, that ever-faithful Republican robot mouthpiece. Nevertheless, I thought then and still think that such a law would be a good idea. Such a law then would have involved some government intervention to streamline policies between the states, to be sure, but nothing to the extent of Obamacare which will be enforced less by Health & Human Services and more by the Dept. of the Treasury, and, more specifically within, the Internal Rectum (oops, Revenue) Service.

How come I could transfer my car insurance coverage as is from Kentucky to California, but not carry my Humana health insurance over as is (or roughly comparably) from Kentucky to California? What's more, Humana serves California, although not every county, and such a streamlining would have remedied, or at least attempted to remedy, an issue like this.

In some ways, I actually blame President Bush for not being more proactive in championing this idea. My parents and brother all have already been directly and negatively impacted by this so called "Affordable Care Act." I'm the only person in my immediate family who has been fortunate enough to not suffer any seriously negative consequence so far from ACA.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:25 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The only way that's true is if you were "under-insured" with a cut-rate insurance policy and now you have a higher cap on how much your policy will cover. Probably doesn't turn you down for certain conditions anymore, either.

Either way you were bound to be on the tax payer dime when your time comes and now at least you're paying your way.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 PM

462 posts, read 741,538 times
Quote:
The only way that's true is if you were "under-insured" with a cut-rate insurance policy and now you have a higher cap on how much your policy will cover.
Or if your ineligible for subsidies like myself.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
The premiums Californians pay, who are covered by Obama Care, will increase in 2015. The rate of increase will be 4.2%. Why is the increase twice the rate of inflation? What is the fed doing to keep rates down? Do you anticipate your income to increase by 4% next year to help offset the increase in premiums? Are small employers willing to reduce profits or increase margins to offset the increase?

These are just a few of the questions that need to be asked as government continues to re-sculpture the economic landscape.

California exchange's health insurance rates to increase 4% in 2015 - LA Times
Hope and change ...my brother...hope and change...yeah.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post

The thing about the internet is that people can say whatever they want! It doesn't make it true.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Here are a few good links to help sort out the confusion.

For example by 2011, health care premiums in CA had increased by 5 times the rate of inflation.

Source: California HealthCare Foundation -- Supporting Ideas and Innovations to Improve Health Care for All Californians

http://www.chcf.org/~/media/MEDIA%20...ndivMarket.pdf

This site is also a good source of information as to why Heath Care spending is so high in the US.

Search Results - OECD

http://www.oecd.org/unitedstates/49084355.pdf

The entire health care system is broken in the US. Too much greed, mismanagement and special interests.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:48 AM

115 posts, read 337,067 times
Just compare medical costs in the US to developed European countries and you'll see that medical bills are many times more expensive in the US.

The current system only works if you're interested in filling the pockets of big pharmaceutical companies and private hospitals.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:57 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrb View Post
Just compare medical costs in the US to developed European countries and you'll see that medical bills are many times more expensive in the US.

The current system only works if you're interested in filling the pockets of big pharmaceutical companies and private hospitals.
Yes when you take a look at this chart it is obvious that there is something very wrong.

http://www.oecd.org/unitedstates/49084355.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California