Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 PM

528 posts, read 866,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Who in California is NOT descended from a transplant? Maybe some of the parents of the posters on here came from the East.
Yes and considering CA immigration really was not too long ago, there are many bigoted "natives". I live up North and I surely see them, but I have to read body language more since not everyone says what they think and that's what gets me more frustrated. Italians were also hung in Placerville during the gold rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 PM

21,730 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Italians were also hung in Placerville during the gold rush.
Well I'm sure the ladies must have liked that!

Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How do we know that California is not actually reverting to its "normal" weather conditions after a century or so of unusually wet weather?
The vegetation, a lot of which takes more than a century to become established says otherwise.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:31 PM

555 posts, read 803,005 times
Tulemutt:

"The average sixth-grader today knows more about environmental sciences and dynamics."

No they don't. The average sixth grader is so dumbed-down they don't even know where eggs come from. Granted, up until the 1990s or so, environmental science had progressed considerably from Roosevelt's day; but then it was co-opted by agenda-driven academics.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:28 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Oh come on. We know that the REAL reason for the Anti Prop 13 sentiment boils down to "you have it and I don't so I want to confiscate it from you" envy and resentment. You and I both know that if the tables were turned, so would your attitude.

Leave it alone. It was put there for a reason.
It's a subsidy which distorts the market. It's welfare for homeowners.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The vegetation, a lot of which takes more than a century to become established says otherwise.
Well, there you go, ruining a perfectly good theory! No fun!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Tulemutt:

Granted, up until the 1990s or so, environmental science had progressed considerably from Roosevelt's day; but then it was co-opted by agenda-driven academics.
"Agenda-driven academics" only "want to control people"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Tulemutt:
. Most 'environmentalists' of today care nothing about conservation, they only care about controlling people.
People who want to control others are generally in it for the money. Which academics doesn't pay.

Regardless, your opinions don't change the accomplishment at root, as I previously identified.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Oh, you mean all the eucalyptus and pampas grass and iceplant - those drought-tolerant native species that grow all over the state?

I am now removing tongue from cheek. All the vegetation I mentioned are transplants and NOT native and do NOT take over a century become established. The 'live oak' die-off is due to a disease, not due to drought.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:24 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Oh, you mean all the eucalyptus and pampas grass and iceplant - those drought-tolerant native species that grow all over the state?

I am now removing tongue from cheek. All the vegetation I mentioned are transplants and NOT native and do NOT take over a century become established. The 'live oak' die-off is due to a disease, not due to drought.

No genius I mean the native plants The native plant community is what one looks at for accuracy. We also have more than just live oaks California is home to the greatest number of pine species out of any other region in the world. Redwoods need moist environments to grow. The unbelievably varied native flora and fauna of California would not have been possible had it been a predominantly arid place. that takes water in a temperate region. Now you don't know as much about wildlife (obvious by your daft remarks) but I will say that it is generally believed that CA, as well as most Mediterranean areas have gotten drier than they once were. Climate zones have shifted north and the rainfall has gone with it.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,421 times
Redwoods seem to be doing fine in their portions of the state (when they aren't being burnt, that is) with the current loooooong dry-ness. Ditto pines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California