Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:16 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Politics is a game of insanity. Anyone who participates (in the form of D vs. R) is only adding to the mayhem.
LOL! Ya think? Spent the better part of 20 years in the CA political arena in Sacramento. Total kabuki!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I was wondering the same as she is mostly describing life in Hawthorne which basically sucks and has for a long time. Family on my wife's side moved out of there decades ago for that very reason. LA has ghetto neighborhoods that are gang, drug, crime infested, etc... Some continue to get worse. But when one blankets the entire state into that kind of toxic environment generalization it's a common logic fallacy which *many* on CD participate in both knowingly and unknowingly. Thy are living in their own nightmare and want to get out which they probably should.

LA and all major cities have ghetto neighborhoods. If you don't like those neighborhoods the first course of action should be to move out unless somehow stuck there. If stuck then work on getting unstuck. As others have stated CA does not equal LA. There are many more great places to live in CA without all of that junk going on.
The western part of Hawthorne is a little more "tolerable". I wouldn't venture in there if i didn't have to though. I wouldn't budge if I lived in Redondo Beach (ESP. South Redondo) for Hawthorne if I had a gun pointed at my head.

In any event, living in Torrance and Redondo Beach for nearly 60 years means you had a winning lottery ticket. Sure beats the hellhole I grew up in back in the Rust Belt.

I just don't get the older Californians when it comes to this point. Life was awesome in 1960 SoCal. Yeah, life was great in 1960 for places like Gary, Cleveland, or Detroit too. At the very least after the "bust" you were still living in California. When the Rust Belt...well..."rusted" not only did folks lose their jobs but their property values tanked. Plus, and this is key, when you look out your window in Akron you're looking at Akron. Folks, let me tell you...it never has been a pretty sight.

So even if California "sucks" now at the very least you're in Redondo or Huntington or San Fran. What does it say about the Golden State that CA's population is still growing (even at a slower pace). As soon as the blank hit the fan back East people fled for their lives.

I don't know the next time I'm going back to Ohio for a visit but I should take some anti-CA folks with me. 48 hours in Cleveland should make anyone with at least one marbel left upstairs kiss the ground upon arriving back in California.

Might be 48 minutes if I showed them Detroit.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
LOL! Ya think? Spent the better part of 20 years in the CA political arena in Sacramento. Total kabuki!
Eek. Sounds like a permanent root canal.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:12 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
CA can turn into Detroit in the blink of an eye, its coming unless we really change some things.
Yes. It sure could happen! - if we level the mountains and spread the dirt and rock at least about 1500 miles west out to sea to create a flat, boring plain - construct a ginormous weather tunnel from the Canadian border - shrink the state from 163,676 square miles down to 139 square miles - get rid of 37,320,000 people or so (that's the part I like best) - get rid of the world's most diversified economic base, including the greatest concentration of venture capital on the planet and replace it with one tired, out-of-date technology industry - erase all traces of actual sophisticated and diverse culture - and a bunch more I won't bother to list because it's all so obviously likely to happen.

Of all the brain-dead-horse-beating limp analogies to the demise of civilization that recycle over and over on California CD Forum, comparing this state to the city of Detroit is my very favorite-est of all. Thank you mbell for yet another deeply analytical, insightful post. You are the master!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. It sure could happen! - if we level the mountains and spread the dirt and rock at least about 1500 miles west out to sea to create a flat, boring plain - construct a ginormous weather tunnel from the Canadian border - shrink the state from 163,676 square miles down to 139 square miles - get rid of 37,320,000 people or so (that's the part I like best) - get rid of the world's most diversified economic base, including the greatest concentration of venture capital on the planet and replace it with one tired, out-of-date technology industry - erase all traces of actual sophisticated and diverse culture - and a bunch more I won't bother to list because it's all so obviously likely to happen.

Of all the brain-dead-horse-beating limp analogies to the demise of civilization that recycle over and over on California CD Forum, comparing this state to the city of Detroit is my very favorite-est of all. Thank you mbell for yet another deeply analytical, insightful post. You are the master!
Good Grief, I swear I didn't see him compare CA to Detroit.

mbell: pack your snowsuit. I'm taking you back to the Rust Belt this Christmas.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:

Haha, yeah, when I saw that incredible mental leap I had to chuckle. It's amazing the kind of stuff ppl come up with as if its all perfectly logical. We have family from Detroit who moved out of there decades ago. They are so far apart its hilarious. Of course keep it a secret and maybe mbell75 will move there just to give it a try.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Good Grief, I swear I didn't see him compare CA to Detroit.

mbell: pack your snowsuit. I'm taking you back to the Rust Belt this Christmas.
Quote:
Haha, yeah, when I saw that incredible mental leap I had to chuckle. It's amazing the kind of stuff ppl come up with as if its all perfectly logical. We have family from Detroit who moved out of there decades ago. They are so far apart its hilarious. Of course keep it a secret and maybe mbell75 will move there just to give it a try.
Cheap housing for the masses. Who needs Texas?!
You can get SOOOOOO much more for your housing dollars in Deetroit, I can't understand why Toyota didn't move all their jobs to MoTown to make their workers happier than California cows

Old 08-01-2014, 10:03 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Just for CD nostalgic sake I pulled up an old thread out of the archives using the 'Detroit' rust belt prediction anology. This was almost 8 years ago and it still hasn't come to pass. At least the author was only drawing the dire prediction for LA to become like Detroit vs. the entire state which was still quite a stretch at the time: //www.city-data.com/forum/413115-post8.html

As long as I've been on this forum (2006) there has been a strong history of this special tribe of dooms dayer, sky falling, chicken littles warning that California's end is nigh - Run for the Hills! How long must we wait until we call their ridiculous predictions to be complete and utter BS? If mbell is still around here in 5 or 10 years I would like to refer back that post as the pure BS which some of us know it be even today. If I was a bettin' man I'd take those odds in California's favor any day.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-01-2014 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Just for CD nostalgic sake I pulled up an old thread out of the archives using the 'Detroit' rust belt prediction anology. This was almost 8 years ago and it still hasn't come to pass. At least the author was only drawing the dire prediction for LA to become like Detroit vs. the entire state which was still quite a stretch at the time: //www.city-data.com/forum/413115-post8.html

As long as I've been on this forum (2006) there has been a strong history of this special tribe of dooms dayer, sky falling, chicken littles warning that California's end is nigh. How long must we wait until we call their ridiculous predictions to be complete and utter BS? If mbell is still around here in 5 or 10 years I would like to refer back that post as the pure BS which some of us know it be even today. If I was a bettin' man I'd take those odds in California's favor any day.

Derek
In a different thread recently, I recalled a bearded guy in a robe with a sign on Market St. SF predicting California's end was nigh. That was about 1967 or '68. Pretty sure he's a CD Forum member today. Same sign anyway.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
In a different thread recently, I recalled a bearded guy in a robe with a sign on Market St. SF predicting California's end was nigh. That was about 1967 or '68. Pretty sure he's a CD Forum member today. Same sign anyway.
I think that was the same guy I saw at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California